Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - The Original Dual Threat QB
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
OT - The Original Dual Threat QB
Just in case anyone wants to discuss something other than realignment, since it seems to be over for the time being...

The Original Dual Threat QB
Quote:Go ahead — click on the YouTube video. Check out that quarterback with the long strides and the dragster speed and the rocket-fueled passes. If not for the grainy production value and those crazy high white socks, you would swear you were watching Colin Kaepernick running wild. But that’s not the 49ers dual-threat wunderkind starring on your screen. Nor is it Robert Griffin III, Cam Newton, or Russell Wilson. It is the player who could have — should have — revolutionized the NFL three decades ago.

His name is Reggie Collier, and from 1979-1982 he starred at the University of Southern Mississippi. Alas, instead of being a pioneer at the quarterback position, he began a different trend, that of fantastic college dual-threat quarterbacks who never got the chance to turn the pro game on its ear.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 03:58 PM by bitcruncher.)
04-24-2013 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: OT - The Original Dual Threat QB
Pittsburgh Steelers replacement team QB, 1987!!!!!
04-24-2013 10:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(04-24-2013 03:57 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Just in case anyone wants to discuss something other than realignment, since it seems to be over for the time being...

Quote:Go ahead — click on the YouTube video. Check out that quarterback with the long strides and the dragster speed and the rocket-fueled passes. If not for the grainy production value and those crazy high white socks, you would swear you were watching Colin Kaepernick running wild. But that’s not the 49ers dual-threat wunderkind starring on your screen. Nor is it Robert Griffin III, Cam Newton, or Russell Wilson. It is the player who could have — should have — revolutionized the NFL three decades ago.

His name is Reggie Collier, and from 1979-1982 he starred at the University of Southern Mississippi. Alas, instead of being a pioneer at the quarterback position, he began a different trend, that of fantastic college dual-threat quarterbacks who never got the chance to turn the pro game on its ear.
OMG. He's ridiculous. I think that receiver might have crushed the eagle mascot in the end zone.03-lmfao
04-25-2013 12:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PaulDel2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sothern Miss
(04-25-2013 12:23 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(04-24-2013 03:57 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Just in case anyone wants to discuss something other than realignment, since it seems to be over for the time being...

OMG. He's ridiculous. I think that receiver might have crushed the eagle mascot in the end zone.03-lmfao

@6'3" over 200# and 4.4 or better speed. First QB to rush for more than 1000 yds and pass for more than 1000 yds in a season in NCAA D1 history. BTW the teams in those clips were OM, MSU and Auburn to name a few. But there were no clips of his best game 51-15 win at Fla. State.
04-25-2013 08:57 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Well, you'll have to talk to the man who put that video together. Not me. I just ran across the story and thought folks might enjoy it...
04-25-2013 01:06 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Saw Reggie play first-hand. Was at the 58-14 FSU destruction, on their homecoming no less. 6'4" 205, ran a 4.37 forty during his USFL days. He would have been amazing in today's spread offenses. It goes to show you that "right place, right time" means a lot.
04-25-2013 01:45 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

You have to wonder what kind of NFL career he'd have today...
04-25-2013 02:04 PM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
Wow, he was even before our own Tracy Ham.
04-25-2013 03:06 PM
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

(04-25-2013 02:04 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  You have to wonder what kind of NFL career he'd have today...

If he were playing today baring injury & any off the field antics he would be a man playing with boys on the field. RG3 would be the closest thing to Reggie. I think RG3 has a more accurate arm & would not pull it down & take off as much as Reggie would.

In the early 90's I met him & I asked aboit his time in Dallas. He said he knows he should have listend to Coach Landry & if he had he would have still been pkaying in the NFL. Such a shame that his greatness was wasted.
04-25-2013 04:09 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

Thank you for posting this.

Go Eagles. I know the sun will shine on M.M. Roberts Stadium again one day.
04-26-2013 11:18 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(04-26-2013 11:18 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  Thank you for posting this.

Go Eagles. I know the sun will shine on M.M. Roberts Stadium again one day.
Seriously, Bit has posted a picture of that new kid, Sandcastle.03-lmfao
04-26-2013 02:22 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Who's Sandcastle? I don't recall that post...
04-26-2013 04:47 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(04-26-2013 04:47 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Who's Sandcastle? I don't recall that post...
Deon Sanders commercial.....Leon Sandcastle...04-cheers

And thank you for your two WVU receivers both drafted by the Rams!!!
04-26-2013 11:12 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
He was the QB for our Orlando renegades for a year or 2. Was fun to watch.
04-27-2013 07:58 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(04-26-2013 11:12 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 04:47 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Who's Sandcastle? I don't recall that post...

I must have missed that commercial, which isn't surprising. I don't watch much commercial TV. I got sick of all the commercials...

The Rams got some new fans in the last couple of days, along with a couple of good receivers. A lot of Mountaineers fans are currently speculating as to how Marc Bulger would have felt having those 2 to throw to...
04-27-2013 10:33 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(04-27-2013 10:33 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 11:12 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

I must have missed that commercial, which isn't surprising. I don't watch much commercial TV. I got sick of all the commercials...

The Rams got some new fans in the last couple of days, along with a couple of good receivers. A lot of Mountaineers fans are currently speculating as to how Marc Bulger would have felt having those 2 to throw to...
When the WVU faithful make the road trips west, they can now make a very convenient stop in St Louis for the Sunday game and watch these two play big time FB.04-cheers
04-27-2013 11:46 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Chuck Ealey....lead University of Toledo to 35 consecutive wins in a three-year span from 1969–1971. The only reason this guy is not in the College Football Hall of Fame is that he was a black QB in an era that nobody thought a black QB could succeed so did not get the proper all american votes.

Went to the CFL and played for seven seasons with Hamilton, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and the Toronto Argonauts, passing for 13,326 yards and 82 touchdowns

http://inductchuck.com/

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/play...ley-1.html Maybe his rushing stats are not the greatest, but he was a great one

http://www.wgte.org/wgte/item.asp?item_id=1892
04-27-2013 12:16 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(04-27-2013 12:16 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Chuck Ealey....lead University of Toledo to 35 consecutive wins in a three-year span from 1969–1971. The only reason this guy is not in the College Football Hall of Fame is that he was a black QB in an era that nobody thought a black QB could succeed so did not get the proper all american votes.

Went to the CFL and played for seven seasons with Hamilton, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and the Toronto Argonauts, passing for 13,326 yards and 82 touchdowns

http://inductchuck.com/

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/play...ley-1.html Maybe his rushing stats are not the greatest, but he was a great one

http://www.wgte.org/wgte/item.asp?item_id=1892
Sounds like another great black QB who first went to the CFL and rewrote the CFL record books...Mr Warren Moon.
04-27-2013 11:34 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2013 12:23 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

That wr is probably the best known of our players from that era. That was Louis Lipps who had a great career with the steelers.

We were loaded in those days, this is probably the most remembered single play. Made by Sammy winder who played for the broncos for several years. This was against the mighty webels of excuse me miss.
04-28-2013 04:54 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange

Thanks Bit!! A great find and I remember watching Reggie play. I forgot how amazing he was.
04-28-2013 06:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.