Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Jack Brown's
Bookmark and Share
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
OT - Jack Brown's
So a Jack Brown's Burger and Beer Joint just opened here in Roanoke and I understand that they're from Harrisonburg so I wanted to get your guys' take on it.

I just got a burger and fries take out and brought it back to my office, frankly I'm unimpressed. When I called in I didn't have a menu but ordered a burger how I usually take it and was told that they didn't have lettuce or tomato b/c they focused on the quality flavor of the meat. OK, I said how about pickles and onions? That they can do. When I get there and look over the menu, I have to ask the guy, "So, I can't get Lettuce and Tomato on my Burger because you like to focus on the flavor of the meat but you're willing to put peanut butter, cream cheese and jalopeno peppers on it among other things?"

Anyway I just finished my lunch and it was nothing special . Five Guys blows them out of the water.

Sorry for the rant and I'm really not trying to run them down, Im just dissappointed because we could use a good burger joint downtown. What's kind of reputation do they have in Harrisonburg?
04-23-2013 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
RE: OT - Jack Brown's
(04-23-2013 11:08 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  So a Jack Brown's Burger and Beer Joint just opened here in Roanoke and I understand that they're from Harrisonburg so I wanted to get your guys' take on it.

I just got a burger and fries take out and brought it back to my office, frankly I'm unimpressed. When I called in I didn't have a menu but ordered a burger how I usually take it and was told that they didn't have lettuce or tomato b/c they focused on the quality flavor of the meat. OK, I said how about pickles and onions? That they can do. When I get there and look over the menu, I have to ask the guy, "So, I can't get Lettuce and Tomato on my Burger because you like to focus on the flavor of the meat but you're willing to put peanut butter, cream cheese and jalopeno peppers on it among other things?"

Anyway I just finished my lunch and it was nothing special . Five Guys blows them out of the water.

Sorry for the rant and I'm really not trying to run them down, Im just dissappointed because we could use a good burger joint downtown. What's kind of reputation do they have in Harrisonburg?

Never eaten there but that does sound strange... Hard to beat Five Guys though.
04-23-2013 11:10 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
That does sound bad...they have a great reputation in Harrisonburg as does their sister location next door (Billy Jacks). Maybe they're still working out the kinks of the other one, but I have never met anyone who went to JB's in HBurg and came away underwhelmed. ALso, it's a great place to drink with over one hundred foregin and domestic beers.
04-23-2013 11:20 AM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

The beer selection was good (though not nearly that many beers on tap), the atmosphere was good and they had a hottie behind the bar. The burger itself wasn't bad maybe I was expecting more. If I were them I would think be a little more accomodating and provide some lettuce and tomato if you exclusively serve burgers, and also switch out the frozen crinkle cut fries for some hand cut jobs.

I'll wait a week or two and try them again. It is only the second week being open.
04-23-2013 11:29 AM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Re: OT - Jack Brown's
So the real issue isn't the burger or the taste if it, but rather that they did not accommodate you with certian things on the burger, like lettuce and tomato.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
04-23-2013 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
(04-23-2013 11:29 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  The beer selection was good (though not nearly that many beers on tap), the atmosphere was good and they had a hottie behind the bar. The burger itself wasn't bad maybe I was expecting more. If I were them I would think be a little more accomodating and provide some lettuce and tomato if you exclusively serve burgers, and also switch out the frozen crinkle cut fries for some hand cut jobs.

I'll wait a week or two and try them again. It is only the second week being open.

I agree, real burger joints need to stay away from the Frozen Ore Ida garbage.
04-23-2013 11:51 AM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
OT - Jack Brown's
Jack Brown's crinkle cut fries are the only crinkle-style fry that I like.
04-23-2013 11:58 AM
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

(04-23-2013 11:29 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  hand cut jobs.

sounds excruciating...
04-23-2013 12:08 PM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

(04-23-2013 12:08 PM)JMUska Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 11:29 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  hand cut jobs.

sounds excruciating...

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
04-23-2013 12:16 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
JB's is always packed in H'Burg, even when scholl is on break.

I love it04-cheers
04-23-2013 12:20 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(04-23-2013 11:51 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 11:29 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  The beer selection was good (though not nearly that many beers on tap), the atmosphere was good and they had a hottie behind the bar. The burger itself wasn't bad maybe I was expecting more. If I were them I would think be a little more accomodating and provide some lettuce and tomato if you exclusively serve burgers, and also switch out the frozen crinkle cut fries for some hand cut jobs.

I agree, real burger joints need to stay away from the Frozen Ore Ida garbage.

I would find that stunning if true, really. Frozen? Wow.
04-23-2013 01:43 PM
Advertisement

Mad victory Offline
1st String

I am friends with the owner. This is his first step into franchising. There are certain things the independent locations are allowed to do on their own. They must however use the meat that makes his burgers unique, maintain 100 individual craft beers, the beer club ect. Give the new owners a chance to get it together.
04-23-2013 02:28 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
If you're that bent out of shape...don't order a normal burger. Their specialty burgers are where the awesomeness is. You don't go to Jack Brown's for a fast food burger with fast food toppings.

Also...fried oreos...
04-23-2013 02:34 PM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

Krinkle cut equals more surface area for salt, ketchup, or their awesome dipping sauce. Think about it Mmmmmmmmmm krinkle cut
04-23-2013 02:35 PM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

(04-23-2013 11:08 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  So a Jack Brown's Burger and Beer Joint just opened here in Roanoke and I understand that they're from Harrisonburg so I wanted to get your guys' take on it.

you ate a jack browns burger without crushing delicious craft beer. This is where you messed up. That is like eating at dq and not getting a blizzard, or eating at Taco Bell and not crushing a dew. This is a do over
04-23-2013 02:45 PM
JMUDukes20 Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-23-2013 02:34 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  If you're that bent out of shape...don't order a normal burger. Their specialty burgers are where the awesomeness is. You don't go to Jack Brown's for a fast food burger with fast food toppings.

Also...fried oreos...

and

(04-23-2013 02:35 PM)Mad victory Wrote:  Krinkle cut equals more surface area for salt, ketchup, or their awesome dipping sauce. Think about it Mmmmmmmmmm krinkle cut

is all you need to know.
04-23-2013 02:49 PM
Advertisement

brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Greg Brady Burger, fries, and a fried oreo---can't go wrong. That's my stop every friday night when I make it to JMU for a game.
04-23-2013 03:06 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

Jack Brown's is awesome... I've never gotten the plain burger and I don't like the "Jack Brown's sauce" cause it's got a pretty strong mayo taste and mayo pretty much makes me puke, but some of the daily specials are awesome, the fried oreos are awesome, and the sweet potato fries are awesome. I love having one next to Massanutten now, I get at least one Greg Brady almost every Friday, the Chiflet is awesome on Sunday.
04-23-2013 03:12 PM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

OK guys, thanks for the tips. I'll give it another try soon and get a specialty burger, some oreos and a beer if it's not during work hours. I tried the dipping sauce but agree with Scotty, it's not for me.

Like I said when I ordered I didn't have a menu but figured it's a burger joint, I know how I like my burger. When I got there I looked at the menu a little and I see that specialty burgers are thier thing. Still I think it'd be smart to have a little lettuce & tomato on hand for the purist and the crinkle cut fries were nothing to write home about.

So the "Greg Brady" seems to be a favorite, any others? I'm not eating an "Elvis".
04-23-2013 03:28 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
Get "The Shocker". I'm not even sure it's on the menu, but it's basically a standard burger with hot sauce, jalapenos and habaneros...not for the faint of heart, but still delicious. I advise not getting one during work hours unless your office has a VERY private bathroom.
04-23-2013 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.