Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Will someone explain what the PAc sees in UC Boulder?
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
Will someone explain what the PAc sees in UC Boulder?
Their academics aren't great, their athletic dept. doesn't make a ton of money, they aren't any good in basketball, they aren't consistently good in football, and they aren't a fantastic geographic match.

Admittedly, they do have some years of being good in football and the geography could be worse, bu tthat just means that they could be worse, not that they're good.

Are they a cultural match made in heaven or somehting? What gives? What am I missing? As far as I can tell, they are a western version of 'Ole Miss (only trade "I got wasted in Oxford" for "I got stoned in Boulder").
04-22-2013 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: Will someone explain what the PAc sees in UC Boulder?
(04-22-2013 10:41 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  Their academics aren't great, their athletic dept. doesn't make a ton of money, they aren't any good in basketball, they aren't consistently good in football, and they aren't a fantastic geographic match.

Admittedly, they do have some years of being good in football and the geography could be worse, bu tthat just means that they could be worse, not that they're good.

Are they a cultural match made in heaven or somehting? What gives? What am I missing? As far as I can tell, they are a western version of 'Ole Miss (only trade "I got wasted in Oxford" for "I got stoned in Boulder").

A lot of folks from CA go there for school so they fit in footprint well. They won the BBall tourny last year and are a big state school that goes well with Utah. Not to mention in most major pro sports Denver is in divisions/conferences with the west coast cities.
04-22-2013 10:44 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
State flagship and access to the 2nd largest metro area in the Mountain West and Southwest (behind Phoenix)
04-22-2013 10:44 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Actually they are a fantastic cultural and academic match.

Ever been to Boulder? Its beautiful but its also Berkeley in the mountains. UC gets a ton of applications from Cali, WA and OR and many of their grads move to the west coast after they get their degree. One of their guys claimed UC has more grads living in Cali than in greater Denver and I wouldn't see that as a stretch
04-22-2013 10:47 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I've spent a lot of time in Boulder. It is absolutely a cultural fit for the Pac-12. It is much more Berkley, Seattle, Eugene than Phoenix will ever be and they were happy to go because they aren't Lincoln, Norman, Lawrence by any stretch of the imagination.
04-22-2013 10:48 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

So the Cali schools think that their students/fans want to play UC Boulder because they are likely to have a ton of friends/family that went there?

Fair enough.
04-22-2013 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
What?! Colorado is a fantastic fit for the Pac-12. The academic and cultural profile is a great match and it's located in a large and fast-growing market.
04-22-2013 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(04-22-2013 10:58 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  What?! Colorado is a fantastic fit for the Pac-12. The academic and cultural profile is a great match and it's located in a large and fast-growing market.

Frank, I think everyone but the OP understands the move.
04-22-2013 11:01 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
UC Boulder is a perfect match for the Pac12. They're the liberal / yuppy epicenter of Colorado which lines up perfectly with the vast majority of Pac12 schools. Also their academics are "top notch" in terms of what matters to the Pac12 eggheads.

It should be abundantly clear by now that realignment is barely driven by actual on the field performance.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 11:06 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-22-2013 11:05 AM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Maybe I'm biased as a scientist, but I view Boulder as having excellent academics.

They have four Nobel Laureates on their faculty, they have a large NIST center near them (including America's atomic clock), UCAR is based out of Boulder too. It's ranked as the 32nd best university in the world, I'd say that it's right at home in the Pac-12.
04-22-2013 11:06 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-22-2013 10:41 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  Their academics aren't great, their athletic dept. doesn't make a ton of money, they aren't any good in basketball, they aren't consistently good in football, and they aren't a fantastic geographic match.

Short answer....With all due respect you are missing is a lot.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 11:13 AM by SMUmustangs.)
04-22-2013 11:09 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I think the California schools just wanted to get away from that horrible weather they have in southern California.
04-22-2013 11:11 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think they were a good fit + you got the rule to get to 12 for a title game. What surprises me is the WCC doesn't take seattle and denver. Gonzaga blocking seattle for whatever reason is what is wrong with conference expansion, small, petty mindset that blocks school's or prevents school's from still playing each other, i.e. texas a&M- texas/ ku-missouri etc. Back to the pac 10, i think they made a huge mistake not taking OU and Ok state. From what i've read larry scott gave the OK to the president of OU, who than went public, but than the presidents of the pac overruled the commish. I think taking OU and Ok state would have forced texas into the pac 10 along with texas tech which = $ for the pac 10.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 11:32 AM by bluesox.)
04-22-2013 11:29 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

Dude, there's a lot you don't know about the ties of the far west with Colorado. The entire southwest depends on the Colorado River for their water, and all of that water comes from Colorado mountain snow melt. Colorado also donates their excess water to Arizona and Southern California. So it was an excellent move politically, especially since there's been some political infighting about water rights lately, which eased up considerably after this move...

Also, most Colorado graduates find work further west than come towards the east. So culturally they have more in common with Pac12 schools than they do with anyone in the B12, or any other conference...
04-22-2013 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2013 11:06 AM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  Maybe I'm biased as a scientist, but I view Boulder as having excellent academics.

They have four Nobel Laureates on their faculty, they have a large NIST center near them (including America's atomic clock), UCAR is based out of Boulder too. It's ranked as the 32nd best university in the world, I'd say that it's right at home in the Pac-12.

Some rankings have it as barely being in the op 100 in the United States (US News has it at #97). I have no idea where you are getting #32 in the world. Maybe you mean research spending or something.
04-22-2013 02:05 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2013 12:19 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

Dude, there's a lot you don't know about the ties of the far west with Colorado. The entire southwest depends on the Colorado River for their water, and all of that water comes from Colorado mountain snow melt. Colorado also donates their excess water to Arizona and Southern California. So it was an excellent move politically, especially since there's been some political infighting about water rights lately, which eased up considerably after this move...

Also, most Colorado graduates find work further west than come towards the east. So culturally they have more in common with Pac12 schools than they do with anyone in the B12, or any other conference...
Good Lord, I hope you were joking!

UC Boulder was not invited to the Pac-12 so Los Angeles could improve their water rights.
04-22-2013 02:07 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2013 11:09 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  

I ask a question and get insulted by a man who can't forumlate a coherent response. Only in America...
04-22-2013 02:08 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(04-22-2013 11:11 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  I think the California schools just wanted to get away from that horrible weather they have in southern California.

It's snowing in Boulder today. April 22. We have many great things in California, but we don't have snowfall on April 22. I wonder if it's ever snowed on April 22 on any other Pac-12 campus.
04-22-2013 02:12 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-22-2013 12:19 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

Based on that logic Cincinnati is a shoe-in for the SEC since the Ohio River flows into the Mississippi and (to take another poster's comments) a large number of people here have family ties to Kentucky and Tennessee.

(sarcasm alert)
04-22-2013 02:12 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-22-2013 02:08 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(04-22-2013 11:09 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  

I ask a question and get insulted by a man who can't forumlate a coherent response. Only in America...

Don't watch the news much? 07-coffee3
04-22-2013 02:13 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.