Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Breaking Boston News (OT)
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Breaking Boston News (OT)
They are announcing gunfire on the MIT campus (this is late at night).

Given the photos of the college age (my assessment of the photos) suspects the FBI released today (in the Boston Marathon bombing), and the location of this incident, this could be significant.

Not good for MIT no matter if this is related or not, but certainly makes you think . . . . .
04-18-2013 11:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
RE: Breaking Boston News (OT)
CNN Wrote:(CNN) -- A university police officer has died after being shot on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus in Cambridge late Thursday, according to state police.

Police and the FBI responded to reports of gunshots at Building 32, according to MIT, which posted a message on its Twitter account. Officers surrounded and cordoned off the building. ...

(Source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/18/us/cambrid...?hpt=hp_c2 )

Building 32 is the distinctive, Frank Gehry-designed Ray and Maria Stata Center.

[Image: 287px-Wfm_stata_center.jpg]

Wikipedia Wrote:The Ray and Maria Stata Center /steɪtə/ STAY-ta or Building 32 is a 720,000-square-foot (67,000 m2) academic complex designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The building opened for initial occupancy on March 16, 2004. It sits on the site of MIT's former Building 20, which housed the historic Radiation Laboratory, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Contained within the building are the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems, as well as the Department of Linguistics and Philosophy. Academic celebrities such as Noam Chomsky and Ron Rivest have offices there. World Wide Web Consortium founder Tim Berners-Lee and free software movement founder Richard Stallman also have offices within.

Major funding for the project was provided by Ray Stata (MIT class of 1957) and Maria Stata. Other major funders include Bill Gates, Alexander W. Dreyfoos, Jr. (MIT class of 1954), Charles Thomas "E.B" Pritchard Hintze (a graduate and of JD Edwards, now Oracle) and Morris Chang of TSMC. Above the fourth floor, the building splits into two distinct structures: the Gates tower and the Dreyfoos tower.
04-18-2013 11:26 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Description of shooting suspect does NOT match the photos released by FBI today.
04-18-2013 11:57 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice's honor
appears they just got the second one
04-19-2013 06:18 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
Amazing that they have managed to track them down and get them. Hope they get the second one alive to interrogate.
04-19-2013 06:33 PM
Advertisement

cr11owl Offline
All American

(04-19-2013 06:33 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Amazing that they have managed to track them down and get them. Hope they get the second one alive to interrogate.

If it is him he appears to be alive. Hiding in a covered boat and moving
04-19-2013 06:35 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(04-19-2013 06:35 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 06:33 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Amazing that they have managed to track them down and get them. Hope they get the second one alive to interrogate.

If it is him he appears to be alive. Hiding in a covered boat and moving

A lot of my family lives there and I'm hearing that the city is practically shut down.

Police should release info soon about whether it is him or not. Not sure who else would engage in a firefight with SWAT at this time though.
04-19-2013 06:53 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Got him!
04-19-2013 07:44 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice's honor
In custody!! Great job
04-19-2013 07:47 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(04-19-2013 07:47 PM)owlatheart Wrote:  In custody!! Great job

+1

Well done by the authorities and the public to make this happen.
04-19-2013 09:19 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
This was a very good job. They did extremely well.
04-19-2013 10:23 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(04-19-2013 10:23 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  This was a very good job. They did extremely well.

Capture of both within 26 hours of releasing the photos of the suspects. Not Bad.

Still dont understand while both hung around Boston after the Monday attack. The apartment raided Thursday had more Pressure Cooker Bombs and Pipe Bombs, so there might have been a Second Wave of Attacks planned.
04-20-2013 09:18 AM
DFW Owl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
(04-19-2013 06:33 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Hope they get the second one alive to interrogate.

Yes, is certainly true that it is good to be able to talk to the man. However, I wonder what the eventual cost will be to taxpayers in Mass. and U.S. to pay for security, jail, defense, prosecution, and prison for this guy. It would have been a whole lot less expensive if he had been killed by police.
04-20-2013 09:34 AM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(04-20-2013 09:34 AM)DFW Owl Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 06:33 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Hope they get the second one alive to interrogate.

Yes, is certainly true that it is good to be able to talk to the man. However, I wonder what the eventual cost will be to taxpayers in Mass. and U.S. to pay for security, jail, defense, prosecution, and prison for this guy. It would have been a whole lot less expensive if he had been killed by police.

It all depends on what they learn. The cost may be well worth it if they can gather some intel on who they were working with (if applicable).
04-20-2013 03:25 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(04-20-2013 03:25 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

It all depends on what they learn. The cost may be well worth it if they can gather some intel on who they were working with (if applicable).

Big Brother knew the operational details. That's why he detonated his belt when cornered. The kid probably has no knowledge of who was behind the plot.
04-20-2013 03:38 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(04-20-2013 03:38 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  

Big Brother knew the operational details. That's why he detonated his belt when cornered. The kid probably has no knowledge of who was behind the plot.

IIRC, The older one got shot... he was found with explosives, but didn't blow himself up.

We shall see about the younger one; while not the brains of the operation, he might know something. And he will likely be easier to crack...
04-20-2013 03:44 PM
JOwl Offline
sum guy

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(04-20-2013 03:44 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

IIRC, The older one got shot... he was found with explosives, but didn't blow himself up.

We shall see about the younger one; while not the brains of the operation, he might know something. And he will likely be easier to crack...

Yeah, the picture of him in the morgue doesn't look like he got blown up. But I'm far from an expert on such things, so maybe some of the wounds were from an explosive.

edit: and i only viewed it briefly
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 05:00 PM by JOwl.)
04-20-2013 04:55 PM
Advertisement

texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(04-20-2013 03:44 PM)Antarius Wrote:  IIRC, The older one got shot... he was found with explosives, but didn't blow himself up.

What I had heard was that he got run over by his own brother when his brother tried to run down the police who were arresting him.

ETA: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nati...story.html
Quote: Finally discovered, the Tsarnaevs led police on a chase through residential streets, hurling grenades and makeshift bombs as they drove. When cornered, they battled police with guns and more homemade explosives, wounding a transit officer and trading more than 200 rounds until the officers ran out of ammunition.

The drama ended for the elder brother, Tamerlan, 26, when police shot him and then he apparently was run over by his brother in a melee witnessed by scores of frightened residents of Watertown, Mass., a residential community about five miles from the apartment where the pair lived.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 08:23 PM by texd.)
04-20-2013 08:21 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(04-20-2013 08:21 PM)texd Wrote:  
(04-20-2013 03:44 PM)Antarius Wrote:  IIRC, The older one got shot... he was found with explosives, but didn't blow himself up.

What I had heard was that he got run over by his own brother when his brother tried to run down the police who were arresting him.

ETA: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nati...story.html
Quote: Finally discovered, the Tsarnaevs led police on a chase through residential streets, hurling grenades and makeshift bombs as they drove. When cornered, they battled police with guns and more homemade explosives, wounding a transit officer and trading more than 200 rounds until the officers ran out of ammunition.

The drama ended for the elder brother, Tamerlan, 26, when police shot him and then he apparently was run over by his brother in a melee witnessed by scores of frightened residents of Watertown, Mass., a residential community about five miles from the apartment where the pair lived.

This gives a lot of details about what went down throughout Thursday night, more than even that quote above.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/20/us/boston-...?hpt=hp_t1

I'm wondering if Tamerlan was trying to get among the cops before blowing himself up. He was out of ammo when he was tackled, according to the story. It's an odd way to go by closing the distance with the cops while possibly knowing you're running low on ammo and may have already thrown almost all of your homemade bombs you have at that time.
04-20-2013 08:51 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(04-20-2013 04:55 PM)JOwl Wrote:  
(04-20-2013 03:44 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(04-20-2013 09:34 AM)DFW Owl Wrote:  Yes, is certainly true that it is good to be able to talk to the man. However, I wonder what the eventual cost will be to taxpayers in Mass. and U.S. to pay for security, jail, defense, prosecution, and prison for this guy. It would have been a whole lot less expensive if he had been killed by police.

Yeah, the picture of him in the morgue doesn't look like he got blown up. But I'm far from an expert on such things, so maybe some of the wounds were from an explosive.

edit: and i only viewed it briefly

Might have been a retouched photo. If he didnt have a vest on, maybe one of his Pipe Bomb Grenades went off in his face?

"During the exchange of the gunfire, we believe that one of the suspects was struck and ultimately taken into custody. A second suspect was able to flee from that car and there is an active search going on at this point in time," Colonel Timothy Alben, superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police, told a news conference.

The wounded suspect was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, where he died, said Dr. Richard Wolfe, chief of emergency medicine.

"This was a trauma arrest, multiple injuries, probably, we believe, a combination of blast, potentially gunshot wounds," Wolfe told a news conference. When asked how many gunshot wounds, he said: "Unable to count."

The blast injuries may have been caused by "an explosive device, possibly shrapnel, thermal injury. It was pretty much throughout the trunk. It was multiple wounds," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/1...4520130419

BOSTON (AP) — A doctor involved in treating the Boston Marathon bombing suspect who died in a gunbattle with police says he had injuries head to toe and all limbs intact when he arrived at the hospital.

Dr. David Schoenfeld said 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev was unconscious and had so many penetrating wounds when he arrived at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center early Friday that it isn't clear which ones killed him, and a medical examiner will have to determine the cause of death.

The older Tsarnaev's clothes had been cut off by emergency responders at the scene, so if he had been wearing a vest with explosives, he wasn't by the time he arrived at the hospital, the doctor said.

"From head to toe, every region of his body had injuries," he said. "His legs and arms were intact — he wasn't blown into a million pieces" — but he lost a pulse and was in cardiac arrest, meaning his heart and circulation had stopped, so CPR, or cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, was started.

The doctor said he couldn't discuss specific treatments in the case except to say what is usually done in such circumstances, including putting a needle in the chest to relieve pressure that can damage blood vessels, and cutting open the chest and using rib-spreaders to let doctors drain blood in the sac around the heart that can put pressure on the heart and keep it from beating.

"Once you've done all of those things ... if they don't respond there's really nothing you can do. You've exhausted the playbook," he said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/doctor-de...s-head-toe
04-21-2013 08:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.