Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Slaying the Giant: How to Beat Texas A&M
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
Slaying the Giant: How to Beat Texas A&M
So spring football is over. But we have 4 months before we can talk Rice Football in earnest. So, let's look at the juggernaut staring us in the face: Texas A&M. What gameplan would you devise to beat A&M? What holes do you think are there waiting to be exploited? Thoughts?
04-15-2013 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Slaying the Giant: How to Beat Texas A&M
Forge Johnny Football's transcript to make him ineligible for the game.
04-15-2013 08:10 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(04-15-2013 08:10 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  Forge Johnny Football's transcript to make him ineligible for the game.

Probably better to just follow him around with a camera.
04-15-2013 08:16 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(04-15-2013 08:16 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(04-15-2013 08:10 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  Forge Johnny Football's transcript to make him ineligible for the game.

Probably better to just follow him around with a camera.

Good idea and much easier to pull off. 03-wink
04-15-2013 09:19 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Just be sure that any idea revealed/discussed here is clever disinformation ... so the Aggies are truly befuddled by what the Owls actually do at Kyle Field.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 09:21 PM by Almadenmike.)
04-15-2013 09:20 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Wishbone.
04-15-2013 09:34 PM
Advertisement

gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(04-15-2013 09:34 PM)texd Wrote:  Wishbone.

Breaking a turkey wishbone for luck?
04-15-2013 10:41 PM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist, but football is only two things - blocking and tackling."

Vince Lombardi
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 04:08 PM by JSA.)
04-16-2013 08:17 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(04-15-2013 09:20 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Just be sure that any idea revealed/discussed here is clever disinformation ... so the Aggies are truly befuddled by what the Owls actually do at Kyle Field.

In this case, Rice should go back to the wildly successful 3 QB strategy of the past. Aggies, take note and prepare accordingly.
04-16-2013 08:27 AM
ruowls Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Football Genius
Weak side "2 back" running game, throw in some occasional unbalanced line to have fun

Strong side intermediate middle passing game coupled with occasional weak side deep passing game

score before they score and let them make the fatal mistake while trying to repeatedly answer

I'll defer the defensive gameplan to someone who knows how to spell defense

Just like Rice's win, that was easy
04-16-2013 10:30 AM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

(04-16-2013 10:30 AM)ruowls Wrote:  Weak side "2 back" running game, throw in some occasional unbalanced line to have fun

Strong side intermediate middle passing game coupled with occasional weak side deep passing game

score before they score and let them make the fatal mistake while trying to repeatedly answer

I'll defer the defensive gameplan to someone who knows how to spell defense

Just like Rice's win, that was easy

Yeah. Keep it close..and make sure we give Bos a shot inside the 50 to win the game
04-16-2013 12:58 PM
Advertisement

NYNightOwl Online
NYOwl

Regardless of our early opponents, bringing our "A" game to the early games of the season would be a great start... and a welcome change. Going back to 2006 when we lost the first 4 and then proceeded to win 6 of the last 7 regular season games, it's taken us far too long to hit stride. Something our opponents clearly have done better.
04-16-2013 04:45 PM
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
I don't fear A&M's defense. I think we can move and score on them. I would think that the elephant in the room is simply Manziel. Do you let him beat you with his feet or do you make him pass? He is a much better version of Joe Webb (2009 opening game debacle) in that he runs exceptionally well but also throws well. However, a lot of his completions are the result of breaking containment and the defense turning back to stop the scramble.
04-16-2013 06:13 PM
ruowls Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Football Genius
(04-16-2013 06:13 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  I don't fear A&M's defense. I think we can move and score on them. I would think that the elephant in the room is simply Manziel. Do you let him beat you with his feet or do you make him pass? He is a much better version of Joe Webb (2009 opening game debacle) in that he runs exceptionally well but also throws well. However, a lot of his completions are the result of breaking containment and the defense turning back to stop the scramble.

Make him beat you from the pocket
04-16-2013 07:01 PM
ETx Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Watch Louisiana Tech game film.
04-16-2013 07:06 PM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I don't know that we'll see our A-game. I'm sure the players want to go all out vs A&M, but DB didn't coach that way against Texas the last couple of years we played them. A&M lost 20 seniors, so it's a game we can win. But I don't see Bailiff putting too many eggs in the upset basket. If he went conservative in the Spring Game by resting most starters, I would expect a long-term thinking approach to the A&M game as well.

We need Johnny a bit hungover from the hype and fame, so he brings less than Heisman-level sharpness, while overlooking the Rice defense. I have a hunch Rice will get at least 1 good lick on Manziel (like we had vs RG3, unfortunately right before the half). Manziel is not a Vince Young in terms of match-up nightmare for Rice, but maybe that's just me. Sure, he might be the greatest college player of all-time, but he's not an imposing guy physically. His arm is good but he's not RG3 accurate. With our secondary, I can see him throwing a pick to Callahan trying to force a play, or fumbling while running with the ball.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if we end up in the top 25 in defense this season. On paper, we have at least 2 CB's, 1 or 2 DL, 1 LB, 1 DE, and several safeties who are all-conference candidates. So there is a possibility of slowing down the Aggie offense enough to stay in the game til the end.
04-16-2013 07:14 PM
Advertisement

owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
Keys..
- No Big Plays.
- Make them earn everything
- Take crowd out early
- Lull to sleep with long drives with Running Game and Short Passing Game while keeping Johnny Football on sidelines. Move sticks.
- Contain Manzeil. Expect to see them try to teach him to throw in pocket and find some RB's to carry load and OL rhythm. Thus, should see vanilla gameplan from them carrying over from Spring. Don't want to risk him getting hurt running for something in Game one.
- Don't make UCLA mistakes w/ flat angles trying to get used to 'game speed' out-of-gate.
- Gotta get a turnover or two and make zero
- Boswell is weapon to keep close
- Throw something at them they have not seen (like RU Owls mentions)...unbalanced formations, shifts, etc. Need to get them out-of-positions to exploit a big play on coverage or alignment busts.
- One more time..no Big Plays..
04-16-2013 10:49 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
We've got to get pressure on Manziel. I've read that they'll have a rebuilt offensive line. We've got to exploit that, even if it means a lot of blitz packages. We have good corners, so this may be a good opportunity to really go after the quarterback. If he's able to stand in the pocket and take his time, it's going to be a very, very long night for Rice.
04-17-2013 04:38 PM
07owl Offline
All American

Put slutty looking cows on the sidelines
04-17-2013 04:39 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I'm not sure i agree with pressuring Manziel. He's most dangerous when he is on the move. Keep him in the pocket and spy him. If they can beat us with him in the pocket playing dink and dunk (40's mantra of no big plays) then they will have earned it.

Don't go crazy with trick plays, they are too talented for them to work and we can't afford a screw up. Fool them with things like RU suggests... unbalanced or unique formations they aren't prepared for.

What I mean is, a halfback pass is something our halfback hasn't done much of (read a secondary and throw an accurate pass)... but having our linemen block or a TE go out for a pass IS something they've done a lot of, just from an unexpected starting point creating a mismatch. A shovel pass to our former RB who is now an H-back against that quick d-line. THESE are the "type" of "trick plays" I want to see, and not some flea-flicker... if that makes sense
04-17-2013 05:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.