Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When or where is the saturation point in FBS?
Bookmark and Share
YesAppCan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
With all the crazy goings on in the college football world the question of saturation comes to mind. Without new FBS conferences being formed, how many more teams will pass from FCS to FBS before the door closes? How long will that be? Just curious for folks' opinion here. I'm thinking that point is coming sooner than later.
04-11-2013 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
RE: When or where is the saturation point in FBS?
(04-11-2013 07:42 PM)App State 85 Wrote:  With all the crazy goings on in the college football world the question of saturation comes to mind. Without new FBS conferences being formed, how many more teams will pass from FCS to FBS before the door closes? How long will that be? Just curious for folks' opinion here. I'm thinking that point is coming sooner than later.

Should have been closed years ago.
04-11-2013 07:45 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
It will be hard to close forever but already a great divide between the top of FBS and the bottom. Several are closer aligned with the top of the FCS.
04-11-2013 07:53 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
Some where around 273.
04-11-2013 07:54 PM
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
"Should have stopped letting schools in right after our team was added" - every college football fan ever
04-11-2013 07:55 PM
gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-11-2013 07:54 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  Some where around 273.
[Image: tumblr_m8pyzhohdP1qh8wol.gif]
04-11-2013 07:58 PM
Advertisement

FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(04-11-2013 07:54 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  Some where around 273.

Which would mean we will have 137 bowl games. There goes my annual viewing of Miracle on 34th Street 03-weeping
04-11-2013 07:58 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I don't think there is a "right" number of schools but there might be a "right" number of conferences and I think we will see in a few years whether that right number is 11 or 10
04-11-2013 08:12 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Just because I'm OCD, it should stop at 128. 128 is a nice even number. It is also divisible by 16, so if the time comes that each league expands to 16 members, which is often rumored, that would give us 8 conferences. It would be interesting if that happened because once the big leagues add to get to 16, the trickle down effect will lead to the death of 2 conferences.
04-11-2013 08:14 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

In my opinion, this should be the last chance to move up...period.
04-11-2013 08:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fencereagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSo
I have a legitimate question, this is not intended to be snarky. How could there be any kind of final limitation when doing so could potentially then open up the NCAA to being accused of violating racketeering or monopoly laws? As it is there has been speculation for years that someone at some point was going to get angry and sue on some ground like that as it is. For example, does anyone really believe that were Liberty to NOT receive an invite in this go around and then the NCAA were to declare the possibility of going FBS closed permanently that they wouldn't be suing the next day? (My opinions regarding Liberty notwithstanding I kind of feel they would have a point were that to happen.)
04-11-2013 08:41 PM
Advertisement

CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-11-2013 07:53 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  It will be hard to close forever but already a great divide between the top of FBS and the bottom. Several are closer aligned with the top of the FCS.

That has always been the case.
04-11-2013 08:48 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

As I understand it, currently, a school must have an invitation from an existing FBS Conference in order to join the level of play. So, if Conferences ever stabalize, then the NCAA has essentially just eliminated the possibility of moving up without having to declare it. Problem solved.

Pay attention to any movements in policy regarding revenue distribution and/or Conference membership restrictions of any kind.

(04-11-2013 08:41 PM)fencereagle Wrote:  I have a legitimate question, this is not intended to be snarky. How could there be any kind of final limitation when doing so could potentially then open up the NCAA to being accused of violating racketeering or monopoly laws? As it is there has been speculation for years that someone at some point was going to get angry and sue on some ground like that as it is. For example, does anyone really believe that were Liberty to NOT receive an invite in this go around and then the NCAA were to declare the possibility of going FBS closed permanently that they wouldn't be suing the next day? (My opinions regarding Liberty notwithstanding I kind of feel they would have a point were that to happen.)
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 08:49 PM by Burn the Horse.)
04-11-2013 08:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-11-2013 08:41 PM)fencereagle Wrote:  I have a legitimate question, this is not intended to be snarky. How could there be any kind of final limitation when doing so could potentially then open up the NCAA to being accused of violating racketeering or monopoly laws? As it is there has been speculation for years that someone at some point was going to get angry and sue on some ground like that as it is. For example, does anyone really believe that were Liberty to NOT receive an invite in this go around and then the NCAA were to declare the possibility of going FBS closed permanently that they wouldn't be suing the next day? (My opinions regarding Liberty notwithstanding I kind of feel they would have a point were that to happen.)

The way you create separation is to simply increase the standards. Enforce a 25K annual attendance, stipends to athletes of 2K dollars in addition to grant and aid. Just any number of things. Anything that can be justified. Regardless the forma AQ NEED do nothing to protect themselves because they see all the bottom conferences as a storm in a tea kettle.
04-11-2013 08:51 PM
TitanTopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU
The stipend to players is coming...book it!! That will end up being the difference between the haves and have nots. Only those with budgets large enough to accommodate $pend will be part of the club.
04-11-2013 09:59 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

(04-11-2013 09:59 PM)TitanTopper Wrote:  The stipend to players is coming...book it!! That will end up being the difference between the haves and have nots.

Yep. You may see a division of the FBS ranks, split along this line.
04-11-2013 10:00 PM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Let Jmu in, then instate the Liberty Moratorium.

Ps. Skullymaroo, the current fbs count as of app state and GSU is at 129. So no 128 for you I'm afraid.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 10:07 PM by Potomac.)
04-11-2013 10:04 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
With a million a year on the line, the WAC may start back up soon or Liberty may buy the football rights.
04-11-2013 10:21 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
If it doesn't end soon the big big boys are going to go there own way. If the club you are in doesn't fit you...start your own.
04-11-2013 10:24 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-11-2013 09:59 PM)TitanTopper Wrote:  The stipend to players is coming...book it!! That will end up being the difference between the haves and have nots. Only those with budgets large enough to accommodate $pend will be part of the club.

I don't know if the big guys really want that or not.

You then have the issues of college players unionizing at that point. $2000 isn't much is it? Coaches can just dismiss you from a team? What about grievance procedures and player's union lawyers?

Do students still support their school's teams if they aren't really just students anymore...but some sort of professional?

Faculty tolerates athletics now. Will there be a rebellion when the schools go pro?

Lots of questions.
04-11-2013 10:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.