Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Orange Bowl financials?
Bookmark and Share
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
Orange Bowl financials?
What was the final outcome on a profit or loss on NIU's 1st BCS game? Annually some young twit from the Northern Star eagerly publishes the school's bowl game financial losses. Anyone know the figures from the Orange Bowl?
04-10-2013 08:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Orange Bowl financials?
yes, NIU gained national exposure and respect. Scared the SH$@ out of Florida State for most of the game. Financials will be reported when the Huskies win a National Championship one day. Step by step my friends....brick by brick. That is how Rome and NIU football will be built
04-10-2013 10:42 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
(04-10-2013 08:53 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  What was the final outcome on a profit or loss on NIU's 1st BCS game? Annually some young twit from the Northern Star eagerly publishes the school's bowl game financial losses. Anyone know the figures from the Orange Bowl?
I'm sure they came out even because the MAC promised they wouldn't talk a loss. If you take out the money the MAC subsided, it probably was a pretty epic loss.

We sold less than 3,000 and they were being sold from between 75-275. Take the average 175 multiply it by the 14,000 unsold tickets and you're looking at a roughly 2.45 million loss on just tickets. That doesn't include travel and hotels and all that either. It probably was a pretty epic loss.
04-11-2013 02:30 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(04-11-2013 02:30 AM)7 Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 08:53 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  What was the final outcome on a profit or loss on NIU's 1st BCS game? Annually some young twit from the Northern Star eagerly publishes the school's bowl game financial losses. Anyone know the figures from the Orange Bowl?
I'm sure they came out even because the MAC promised they wouldn't talk a loss. If you take out the money the MAC subsided, it probably was a pretty epic loss.

We sold less than 3,000 and they were being sold from between 75-275. Take the average 175 multiply it by the 14,000 unsold tickets and you're looking at a roughly 2.45 million loss on just tickets. That doesn't include travel and hotels and all that either. It probably was a pretty epic loss.

Which is probably why nothing has been announced about that. But what are ya gonna do? There aren't any bowl games in Illinois so it's a pretty tough thing financially. I guess the other question is, how did the MAC as a whole end up financially from the bowls?
04-11-2013 07:50 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

As 7 said, if the conference did as they said and backed NIU, i'm sure any losses were minimized, otherwise they would have taken a bath on the bowl...hell even Virginia Tech lost somewhere around $2.5M a few year's ago...it's all the nonsense of having to stay at partnered hotels at standard rates, etc.
04-11-2013 07:51 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Last year Athletics announced the GoDaddy Bowl loss the day after the NS put out its last paper for the Spring Semester.
04-11-2013 07:54 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

7 do you not understand the actuality that more than 3,000 tickets were actually sold. Just because they were distributed to students or subsidized at a discount doesn't mean that 14,000 went unpaid for. The alumni, excluding yourself paid for them. Who they were paid for by doesn't matter, the fact that somebody flipped the bill is all that matters. I don't think you actually comprehend that.
04-11-2013 08:19 AM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
We go to bowls to build the program, it costs money, but it's an investment that we have to make, no other choice. I could really give a flying sh*$ if we ever make money at the bowls, as long as we keep going to the bowls and winning. Look at the Olympics, first Olympics that made money was SLC, Utah, every other have lost.
We need to keep building the Huskie program to help pay for bowls, NCAA Tournaments, and the like for all Huskie athletics. It is what it is, cringe when I hear how much money did we make at the bowl. We should start asking how much money did we lose? Bowls= stronger program, PERIOD.......
04-11-2013 08:25 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(04-11-2013 08:25 AM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  We go to bowls to build the program, it costs money, but it's an investment that we have to make, no other choice. I could really give a flying sh*$ if we ever make money at the bowls, as long as we keep going to the bowls and winning. Look at the Olympics, first Olympics that made money was SLC, Utah, every other have lost.
We need to keep building the Huskie program to help pay for bowls, NCAA Tournaments, and the like for all Huskie athletics. It is what it is, cringe when I hear how much money did we make at the bowl. We should start asking how much money did we lose? Bowls= stronger program, PERIOD.......

Don't forget the multi-million dollar publicity we got from the OB.
04-11-2013 08:33 AM
shack66 Offline
2nd String

The lower bowls (High Dollar amounts) were sold out. The upper decks didn't sell as well because of the secondary market. The average cost of tickets unsold is considerably less.
04-11-2013 09:34 AM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(04-11-2013 08:33 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 08:25 AM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  We go to bowls to build the program, it costs money, but it's an investment that we have to make, no other choice. I could really give a flying sh*$ if we ever make money at the bowls, as long as we keep going to the bowls and winning. Look at the Olympics, first Olympics that made money was SLC, Utah, every other have lost.

IF any money was a "loss"...it wasn't REALLY a loss. We gained so much more than any $$ lost or spent in national publicity. WAAAAAYYYY beyond what NIU could have ever afforded to spend. Multi-multi-millions in publicity...and Herbstreit's and ESPN rants against us gave us even MORE publicity. The Orange Bowl was a winner for NIU regardless of the fact that we did not "win" the game.
04-11-2013 10:09 AM
Advertisement

RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-11-2013 10:09 AM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  

IF any money was a "loss"...it wasn't REALLY a loss. We gained so much more than any $$ lost or spent in national publicity. WAAAAAYYYY beyond what NIU could have ever afforded to spend. Multi-multi-millions in publicity...and Herbstreit's and ESPN rants against us gave us even MORE publicity. The Orange Bowl was a winner for NIU regardless of the fact that we did not "win" the game.

According to our AD department the free advertising was worth $88 million and is still going. I'll take a $2 million loss in exchange for that publicity.
04-11-2013 10:54 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(04-11-2013 10:54 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  

According to our AD department the free advertising was worth $88 million and is still going. I'll take a $2 million loss in exchange for that publicity.

Can someone please explain to me how "88 million in free advertising" help NIU? Are we getting better students for this or just more of the same? Will our ACT scores for the incoming class go up? Most good students apply to college in Sept. anyway. Did season ticket sales go up? Show me the data not what someone said. Did our foundations see an increase of donations in the last 6 months?
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 11:26 AM by NIU75.)
04-11-2013 11:22 AM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-11-2013 11:22 AM)NIU75 Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 10:54 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  

Can someone please explain to me how "88 million in free advertising" help NIU? Are we getting better students for this or just more of the same? Will our ACT scores for the incoming class go up? Most good students apply to college in Sept. anyway. Did season ticket sales go up? Show me the data not what someone said. Did our foundations see an increase of donations in the last 6 months?
Aren't admissions up this year big time, not sure the percentage but someone will know here shortly and post. That is a hard fact. Keep winning and you will see an increase in ticket sales, admissions, alumni getting involved, as well as negativity go down. Bottom line, keep winning and win the big ones that don't really count for the MAC, but the Iowa's, Purdue's, and other big name brand schools. Follow the path that has already been forged by Boise and TCU......
04-11-2013 11:57 AM
niu79 Offline
All American

Look at this from an overall MAC/NIU perspective. The conference share of the OB payout was about $14 million. If you deduct NIU's loss on selling only 3,000 tickets which would be $2.2 million (17,500 - 3,000 x $150), and travel expenses, there probably is about $10-$11 million left over to distribute. At the end of the day, NIU will come out whole and there are still millions left over to split with the conference members.
04-11-2013 12:05 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Anyone who questions, even for a moment, wether not we came out ahead from the Orange Bowl, is a certified moron.
04-11-2013 12:10 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(04-11-2013 12:10 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Anyone who questions, even for a moment, wether not we came out ahead from the Orange Bowl, is a certified moron.

+1
04-11-2013 12:30 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-11-2013 12:30 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 12:10 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Anyone who questions, even for a moment, wether not we came out ahead from the Orange Bowl, is a certified moron.

+1

+2
04-11-2013 12:58 PM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-11-2013 12:58 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 12:30 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

+1

+2

+3
And the conference got more money from this one bowl game than probably all the conference team bowl appearances put together over the last 3 years. No brainer.

Would agree though I would like to see the financials published more out of curiosity, I just don't even question the $$.
04-11-2013 01:10 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

The Commish and MAC presidents showed a lot of class in backing the first MAC school to reach a BCS Bowl. Has not and would not happen in most other conferences.
04-11-2013 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.