Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Since there seems to be some golfers here
Bookmark and Share
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
Since there seems to be some golfers here
I live next to a 9 hole course here in Mesa. I have taken up the game since I moved here back in January and I am taking lessons to learn the game enough to actually enjoy it properly as well as play respectably. Since some of you might turn up in the valley for a visit at some point, I would like to extend an invitation to get together and play a round or two should you be able to.
04-09-2013 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
RE: Since there seems to be some golfers here
I haven't played in almost 3 years.. I need to get out and play a round.. I bought a new driver a couple springs ago and all I have done is take it to the range..
04-09-2013 12:34 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I go to the range a lot just for fun. I haven't played a round since I was a kid. The courses aren't as beginner-friendly as they were back then. But if you can find a 9-hole course, or, better yet, a par 3 course, they're usually more accessible.

We have a lot of courses around here, but they all seem to be going the opposite direction (designed by so-and-so to challenge the expert).
04-09-2013 12:44 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
I started playing in November for the first time, and absolutely have golf fever. I probably played 3 or 4 rounds in my life until then, but I'm absolutely hooked now. Nashville is pretty solid as far as variety, both in difficulty and price.
04-09-2013 01:26 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 12:44 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I go to the range a lot just for fun. I haven't played a round since I was a kid. The courses aren't as beginner-friendly as they were back then. But if you can find a 9-hole course, or, better yet, a par 3 course, they're usually more accessible.

We have a lot of courses around here, but they all seem to be going the opposite direction (designed by so-and-so to challenge the expert).

I miss Van Hook
04-09-2013 01:35 PM
MTtim Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Blue Raiders
Thats very generous of you. I for one will certainly take you up on your offer if/when I get to Mesa. If you ever decide to leave the desert for a short vacation come on to Nashville. We have a good variety of courses.
Looking forward to going to Hattiesburg for football. I've always admired USM for their attitide of playing anyone, anytime, anywhere.
04-09-2013 01:45 PM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(04-09-2013 01:35 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 12:44 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I go to the range a lot just for fun. I haven't played a round since I was a kid. The courses aren't as beginner-friendly as they were back then. But if you can find a 9-hole course, or, better yet, a par 3 course, they're usually more accessible.

I miss Van Hook

I do too, and if you look at the direction golf has taken in Hattiesburg, it definitely reflects what I was referring to. There are lots of nice, expert-level courses built around residential developments, but little for the rest of us. It makes me wonder who gets to really learn/play... kids with rich parents who grew up on a course?
04-09-2013 01:46 PM
eaglerock Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: myself
(04-09-2013 01:35 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  

I miss Van Hook

One of my best memories in college was chipping in on number 10 to win an intramural match. My buddy was the real golfer and I was just along for fun. 02-13-banana
04-09-2013 02:00 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(04-09-2013 01:26 PM)MTowho Wrote:  I started playing in November for the first time, and absolutely have golf fever. I probably played 3 or 4 rounds in my life until then, but I'm absolutely hooked now. Nashville is pretty solid as far as variety, both in difficulty and price.

It gets in your blood don't it? You learn how to play and you have a fun 18 holes and you're ready to go again.. Then you have a great hole maybe a par or better and you wanna keep on.. Then you start trying to compete with your buddies that are good to beat them.. Before you know it you're playin 9 holes on Wednesday after work, 18 holes on Saturday morning, Driving range Saturday evening, and hitting 18 before lunch on Sunday.
04-09-2013 02:15 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
Played in a tournament this past weekend for the Wounded Warrior Project. Hit the ball much better than I anticipated (haven't been able to play much in the last year or two). Hitting it well will give me the bug, again, which is always dangerous. My dad was a club pro in North Carolina for many years.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 02:18 PM by TribeNiner.)
04-09-2013 02:17 PM
NTTHOR Online
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
good golly...not another OT topic...and it's not even tagged...that fiu fan must hate it...

north texas built their current athletic village/football stadium on their old golf course. it wasn't the nicest course, but nice enough, hilly, and a close place to go knock some balls around. we are now forced to go play at TWU if we want to play 18 in denton. (not counting the country clubs/private). one of the apartment complexes in denton does have a 9 hole par 3 course that isn't too bad
04-09-2013 02:19 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(04-09-2013 01:26 PM)MTowho Wrote:  I started playing in November for the first time, and absolutely have golf fever. I probably played 3 or 4 rounds in my life until then, but I'm absolutely hooked now. Nashville is pretty solid as far as variety, both in difficulty and price.

I couldn't imagine taking it up that late. I started playing when I was around 8 and I'm pretty good but it's taken me years to get to the point where I don't just get angry out on the course and let every bad shot get to me.
04-09-2013 02:34 PM
tyler90wm Offline
Blue Raider

I Root For: MT
Anybody here play disc golf?
04-09-2013 03:18 PM
Topper59 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
I have played at both Timberton and Canebrakes in the Hattiesburg area, and both are really nice courses. They are definitely challenging, and would be considered pretty tough for a beginner, but for the average to above average player, they are very nice facilities.
04-09-2013 03:34 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(04-09-2013 02:15 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Before you know it you're playin 9 holes on Wednesday after work, 18 holes on Saturday morning, Driving range Saturday evening, and hitting 18 before lunch on Sunday.

Yup. Bout to go play 9 after work today. Haha.

(04-09-2013 03:18 PM)tyler90wm Wrote:  Anybody here play disc golf?

Used to a ton. Now it's just golf for me.
04-09-2013 03:39 PM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Love normal golf and disc golf both. Been playing a lot more regular golf lately. Played at Olde Stone in Bowling Green not long ago (one of 50 toughest courses in country and host of NCAA regionals, jr PGA, sr PGA events). It kicked my butt. Played 18 on a 9 hole course the other day and was having a bad day until I was a foot away from a hole in one on a par 3. Then I was ready to keep going.

As for Disc Golf...any of you out there that enjoy the sport make sure to pack your discs if you make a trip to Bowling Green. BG is ranked a top 10 destination for disc golf players and has a lot of courses in the area for both beginners and advanced players.
04-09-2013 10:35 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 03:34 PM)Topper59 Wrote:  I have played at both Timberton and Canebrakes in the Hattiesburg area, and both are really nice courses. They are definitely challenging, and would be considered pretty tough for a beginner, but for the average to above average player, they are very nice facilities.

Im a member at Timberton. When the course was new they let the rough grow really deep and it was much tougher than it is now. The best course in our area now is the Hattiesburg country club. A few years ago with the threat of losing members to canebreak, they totally rebuilt the course. Great fairways and nice greens. Used to host the Magnolia classic that was opposite the masters.

If your ever down this way, grand bear in North Gulfport is very nice a nickolas design.

I love the rtj trail in Alabama. one item on my bucket list is to play every facility they have at least once.
04-09-2013 10:58 PM
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

I will tell you the name of the course I play (it is literally my backyard) and tell you that it is a par 30 and a good course for new to moderate players. It is not expensive and well kept. The course is Royal Palms and I would love to have some C-USA fans come play a round with me. I did have a Southern Miss grad playing the hole my porch overlooks, and I had on my Saints jersey. When he saw my jersey he asked if I was a Saints fan which I told him that in the NFL nobody would replace the Saints with me as in college ball I will never favor any over my alma mater Southern Miss. He took a video of me on my porch yelling Southern Miss number one to send to a fellow alum in Florida. It was so cool.
04-09-2013 11:39 PM
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

(04-09-2013 02:19 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  good golly...not another OT topic...and it's not even tagged...that fiu fan must hate it...

north texas built their current athletic village/football stadium on their old golf course. it wasn't the nicest course, but nice enough, hilly, and a close place to go knock some balls around. we are now forced to go play at TWU if we want to play 18 in denton. (not counting the country clubs/private). one of the apartment complexes in denton does have a 9 hole par 3 course that isn't too bad

actually it isn't OT since it was address to all of our C-USA fans here. So nope it isn't OT. By the way we have a course here in Mesa that I heard was a great 9 hole course and they are building the Cubs Cactus League stadium on it so the course is no longer.
04-09-2013 11:42 PM
tyler90wm Offline
Blue Raider

I Root For: MT
(04-09-2013 10:35 PM)Rojogrande Wrote:  As for Disc Golf...any of you out there that enjoy the sport make sure to pack your discs if you make a trip to Bowling Green. BG is ranked a top 10 destination for disc golf players and has a lot of courses in the area for both beginners and advanced players.

I've played at Lovers Lane and Kereiakes Park in Bowling Green; both were really nice courses.
04-10-2013 12:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.