Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pat O'Donnell?
Bookmark and Share
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Pat O'Donnell?
I was out of town last week and have been catching up. I have read many comments about Pat O'Donnell not being around, transferred to an FL school (from a Marshall U Scout forum), etc, but haven't seen any definitive explanation about what he's up to. So...what is going on with him? Is there a possibility that he will be back and he is just testing NFL waters, or is he definitely gone? I'm not going to freak out about losing our punter but losing one of the best punters in the country kind of sucks, even if John Lloyd was a stud in High School.

04-07-2013 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
RE: Pat O'Donnell?
(04-07-2013 07:39 PM)bearcatdp Wrote:  I was out of town last week and have been catching up. I have read many comments about Pat O'Donnell not being around, transferred to an FL school (from a Marshall U Scout forum), etc, but haven't seen any definitive explanation about what he's up to. So...what is going on with him? Is there a possibility that he will be back and he is just testing NFL waters, or is he definitely gone? I'm not going to freak out about losing our punter but losing one of the best punters in the country kind of sucks, even if John Lloyd was a stud in High School.

There are quite a few posts on the Recruiting forum from some people who can explain it better than I:

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=500396&page=86

04-07-2013 07:45 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(04-07-2013 07:45 PM)ctipton Wrote:  There are quite a few posts on the Recruiting forum from some people who can explain it better than I:

Thanks - that stinks. Anyone else interested, the top of page 214 on the 2013 recruiting forum gives a good explanation. In a nutshell, Tuberville wants Rugby style punters and O'Donnell isn't that. O'Donnell has graduated and will go elsewhere. That's unfortunate for UC and O'Donnell but I trust that the coach knows what he is doing.

04-07-2013 07:52 PM
chicago bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-07-2013 07:52 PM)bearcatdp Wrote:  
(04-07-2013 07:45 PM)ctipton Wrote:  There are quite a few posts on the Recruiting forum from some people who can explain it better than I:

Thanks - that stinks. Anyone else interested, the top of page 214 on the 2013 recruiting forum gives a good explanation. In a nutshell, Tuberville wants Rugby style punters and O'Donnell isn't that. O'Donnell has graduated and will go elsewhere. That's unfortunate for UC and O'Donnell but I trust that the coach knows what he is doing.

I dont know if anyone knows if its a done deal. Also before scrimmage the punters including LLoyd were practicing and I didnt see any rugby style punts from any of punters.

04-07-2013 09:04 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-07-2013 09:04 PM)chicago bearcat Wrote:  

I dont know if anyone knows if its a done deal. Also before scrimmage the punters including LLoyd were practicing and I didnt see any rugby style punts from any of punters.

What I said comes straight from numerous sources that I trust within the team. They told Pat that they were planning on moving to a rugby punt approach and that seemed to be the last straw with him requesting a transfer soon thereafter but many options are still ont he table. They may not end up going with the rugby punt until they can recruit a punter that can successfully and effectively punt a ball under college level pressure, but I know for a fact that that was one of the primary factors for his transfer request, along with his desire to be closer to home upon graduation, and a certain former coach calling him (and other potential transfer options) incessantly and planting the seed in some of their heads.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 09:59 PM by BearcatMan.)
04-07-2013 09:56 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
I don't get why you wouldn't just stick with the standard punting style for a year in order to keep a pretty good punter on the roster (if that would make the difference in his decision to return or not, that is). If your overall goal is to shift to that style, wait a year and bring in a punter that is prepared for it.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 10:43 PM by Coopdaddy67.)
04-07-2013 10:39 PM
Advertisement

chicago bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-07-2013 09:56 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(04-07-2013 09:04 PM)chicago bearcat Wrote:  

What I said comes straight from numerous sources that I trust within the team. They told Pat that they were planning on moving to a rugby punt approach and that seemed to be the last straw with him requesting a transfer soon thereafter but many options are still ont he table. They may not end up going with the rugby punt until they can recruit a punter that can successfully and effectively punt a ball under college level pressure, but I know for a fact that that was one of the primary factors for his transfer request, along with his desire to be closer to home upon graduation, and a certain former coach calling him (and other potential transfer options) incessantly and planting the seed in some of their heads.

Notice I never disputed anything you said. All I said was I dont think anyone knows if its a done deal. Also I did not dispute we may get another punter, one who specializes in rugby kicks and move to that formation. Simply noting that I did not see rugby punts at practice for those who may not have had a chance to go down for scrimmage. I have heard the exact same things but nothing is official and I still think its possible he comes back.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 11:18 PM by chicago bearcat.)
04-07-2013 11:15 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
For those of you that went to the Spring game, when the punters were practicing, how many of them were practicing rugby style kicking, and what percentage of reps were dedicated to it? Is this system exclusively rugby style?

There are a lot of unanswered questions on this one.

04-08-2013 07:04 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2013 07:04 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  For those of you that went to the Spring game, when the punters were practicing, how many of them were practicing rugby style kicking, and what percentage of reps were dedicated to it? Is this system exclusively rugby style?

I don't recall any rugby style punting when guys were warming up. There was a stretch where the punters were punting and our return men were getting reps catching the punts. Those were all regular style punts. Unfortunately none went more than about 35 yards.

04-08-2013 08:51 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-08-2013 08:51 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 07:04 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  For those of you that went to the Spring game, when the punters were practicing, how many of them were practicing rugby style kicking, and what percentage of reps were dedicated to it? Is this system exclusively rugby style?

I don't recall any rugby style punting when guys were warming up. There was a stretch where the punters were punting and our return men were getting reps catching the punts. Those were all regular style punts. Unfortunately none went more than about 35 yards.

That is why they are setting up for a rugby transition. That drill was more for the sake of the returners than the punters. I'm not saying its a done deal, but the Rugby is the odds on favorite for our punting style/formation next year.

04-08-2013 08:55 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

If they were going to such a radical change, you would think they would have used Spring ball to acclimate the punters to such a change.

If it is a full-time rugby, I can understand O'Donnell's thoughts, since he obviously has pro potential. But, if the rugby style is going to be only a part-time situational thing, then be a team player (IMO). But, I don't know what is really happening, so I'll withhold assessment.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 09:55 AM by Ring of Black.)
04-08-2013 09:54 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(04-08-2013 09:54 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  If they were going to such a radical change, you would think they would have used Spring ball to acclimate the punters to such a change.

If it is a full-time rugby, I can understand O'Donnell's thoughts, since he obviously has pro potential. But, if the rugby style is going to be only a part-time situational thing, then be a team player (IMO). But, I don't know what is really happening, so I'll withhold assessment.

I agree. I doubt the staff is running off O'Donnell. Switching to rugby, if that happens, might be due to O'Donnell leaving.

04-08-2013 10:16 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

Regardless of the reason, not having Pat O'Donnell back there to kick punts and flip the field is going to be huge.

04-08-2013 10:16 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(04-08-2013 10:16 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Regardless of the reason, not having Pat O'Donnell back there to kick punts and flip the field is going to be huge.

I agree. And I didn't mean to infer that he was being run off. I have read (in this and other forums) that he also had interest in moving close to home after graduation also. I have no inside info...I just wrote what I read.

04-08-2013 10:20 AM
50Cent Offline
Heisman

I have to agree with BJ ....something seems a bit off with the rugby explanation.

04-08-2013 10:41 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-08-2013 10:41 AM)50Cent Wrote:  I have to agree with BJ ....something seems a bit off with the rugby explanation.

That's not the only reason, it may not even be the #1 reason, but it is a reason all the same. I personally think he wants to move closer to home to be by family because he was one of the few people that actually got along with the prior coaching staff and now feels a bit lonely here. I have two separate members of the staff that have told me about the rugby punt thing, so I know that they are loking at the option, and both believe that to be at the very least a small factor in Pat's decision to head out.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 10:55 AM by BearcatMan.)
04-08-2013 10:44 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

That's more like it Bearcat Man. I could buy the wishes to get closer to home, and the rugby discussion as extra traction towards his decision.

I sure hope we are blocking a transfer to USF and UCF (especially USF since we don't play UCF). I have no problem with his want to leave, if he does not go to one of our conference members that may influence the standings, directly or indirectly.

04-08-2013 11:39 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-08-2013 11:39 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  That's more like it Bearcat Man. I could buy the wishes to get closer to home, and the rugby discussion as extra traction towards his decision.

I sure hope we are blocking a transfer to USF and UCF (especially USF since we don't play UCF). I have no problem with his want to leave, if he does not go to one of our conference members that may influence the standings, directly or indirectly.

As far as I know, they have only informed him of a block to Tennessee.

04-08-2013 11:42 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2013 11:42 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 11:39 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  That's more like it Bearcat Man. I could buy the wishes to get closer to home, and the rugby discussion as extra traction towards his decision.

Why Tennessee?

04-08-2013 11:58 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(04-08-2013 11:58 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 11:42 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Why Tennessee?

Our former coach has apparently continued relationships with a few of our players that were eligible for transfer this year. Didn't make our current staff very happy. That's straight from my same sources.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 12:09 PM by BearcatMan.)
04-08-2013 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.