Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Parrish: Why coaches (Marshall, Smart, Stevens, Pastner) aren't changing jobs
Bookmark and Share
OkaloosaTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Parrish: Why coaches (Marshall, Smart, Stevens, Pastner) aren't changing jobs
Didn't see this one posted on the board, if so, my apologies....

Gregg Marshall is a reminder of how many coaches have 'a good life, man'

Think about that for a moment.

I can remember as the Memphis beat writer when it was considered crazy that John Calipari almost made $1 million per season -- which was just a few years after Memphis icon Larry Finch made $182,000 in his final season coaching the Tigers. That was 1997. Now Calipari makes almost $6 million per season at Kentucky, and the Memphis coach (Josh Pastner) gets more than $2 million per year, which is less than what Memphis actually paid Calipari before he left. In other words, Memphis can pay more if it must pay more. That school will never lose Pastner in a bidding war. FedEx would not allow it.

So Pastner is still the coach at Memphis. And Stevens is still the coach at Butler. And Smart is still the coach at VCU. And Marshall is still the coach at Wichita State, and he'll almost certainly remain the coach at Wichita State next season regardless of whether Minnesota or almost anybody else calls with an offer.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...d-life-man
04-04-2013 08:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
RE: Parrish: Why coaches (Marshall, Smart, Stevens, Pastner) aren't changing jobs
Yeah, a cool million per year would sure do for me. I'm very comfortable right now on a whole lot less.

There are more important things than more money.
04-04-2013 09:04 AM
83msu Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS!
RE: Parrish: Why coaches (Marshall, Smart, Stevens, Pastner) aren't changing jobs
I could not handle the stress no matter how much money.
04-04-2013 09:08 AM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
(04-04-2013 09:08 AM)83msu Wrote:  I could not handle the stress no matter how much money.

I could handle the stress, but I'm not polished enough to deal with the media properly. I'm sure I'd be bleeped out on more than one occasion. That, and of course I have no coaching ability 03-lmfao
04-04-2013 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pastnerized Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TIGERS
(04-04-2013 09:17 AM)MemTigerFan Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 09:08 AM)83msu Wrote:  I could not handle the stress no matter how much money.

I could handle the stress, but I'm not polished enough to deal with the media properly. I'm sure I'd be bleeped out on more than one occasion. That, and of course I have no coaching ability 03-lmfao
What?? And yet, you are still allowed to post on this board without harassment or sanction??
Whaddup with that?
04-04-2013 10:11 AM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd love to try, couple of years and I am set for life.....
04-04-2013 10:29 AM
Advertisement

MuchLuck Offline
1st String

I Root For: UM

You might be next in line for UK.....
04-04-2013 10:45 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
I think other schools - or at least their fans - sometimes underestimate just how deep our pockets can go when we want to keep a coach.
04-04-2013 10:55 AM
UofM_Tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(04-04-2013 08:47 AM)OkaloosaTiger Wrote:  Didn't see this one posted on the board, if so, my apologies....

Gregg Marshall is a reminder of how many coaches have 'a good life, man'

Think about that for a moment.

I can remember as the Memphis beat writer when it was considered crazy that John Calipari almost made $1 million per season -- which was just a few years after Memphis icon Larry Finch made $182,000 in his final season coaching the Tigers. That was 1997. Now Calipari makes almost $6 million per season at Kentucky, and the Memphis coach (Josh Pastner) gets more than $2 million per year, which is less than what Memphis actually paid Calipari before he left. In other words, Memphis can pay more if it must pay more. That school will never lose Pastner in a bidding war. FedEx would not allow it.

So Pastner is still the coach at Memphis. And Stevens is still the coach at Butler. And Smart is still the coach at VCU. And Marshall is still the coach at Wichita State, and he'll almost certainly remain the coach at Wichita State next season regardless of whether Minnesota or almost anybody else calls with an offer.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...d-life-man

Remember, we actually offer more $ than KY trying to get Cal to stay.
04-04-2013 11:19 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers

I could handle the stress and the money, I couldn't handle the officials.
04-04-2013 11:32 AM
mitjones Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
There is stress no matter what you do. Trust me. The only way not to have any stress is to flip burgers at McDonalds or something, but even that has stress because you get bored easily & the redundancy of work gets old. I will say that the stress at a Butler or Gonzaga when you are just establishing those programs is a lot less than you get at a big time university. Mark Few & Brad Stevens are set for life because they have established powerhouses right where they are without a huge precedent before them. If either one of them were to take the UCLA job, they would have about a 4 year leash, a ton more stress/duties & a much tougher city to live in. I could easily see why they would turn those jobs down.
04-04-2013 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The younger generation of coaches appear to place less emphasis on money than coaches of my generation.
04-04-2013 11:44 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(04-04-2013 11:44 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  The younger generation of coaches appear to place less emphasis on money than coaches of my generation.

Yes, but another way to think about that is that they are so well compensated compared to the older generation due to market supply and demand that they don't have to consider a jump.
04-04-2013 11:46 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(04-04-2013 11:46 AM)k2tigers Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 11:44 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  The younger generation of coaches appear to place less emphasis on money than coaches of my generation.

Yes, but another way to think about that is that they are so well compensated compared to the older generation due to market supply and demand that they don't have to consider a jump.

Generally, when folks of my generation are asked how much money is enough, the answer is never enough.
04-04-2013 11:50 AM
TNTigers Offline
1st String

I think they also tend not to put as much stock in the perceived history of certain programs like a UCLA or the like. It just doesn't mean that much. It's called history for a reason. It's in the past. Why go live in the shadow of past success when you can forge your own?
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 11:56 AM by TNTigers.)
04-04-2013 11:54 AM
oldmangrizz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
I would jump. More money equals more women. I know my priorities.
04-04-2013 12:05 PM
Advertisement

MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
(04-04-2013 10:45 AM)MuchLuck Wrote:  

You might be next in line for UK.....

04-rock
04-04-2013 12:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TIGER7880 Offline
Wahoowa Mourning Society

I Root For: Free Beer
(04-04-2013 09:04 AM)covingtontiger Wrote:  Yeah, a cool million per year would sure do for me. I'm very comfortable right now on a whole lot less.

There are more important things than more money.

I already want to fire covingtontiger.
04-04-2013 12:12 PM
SayWhat? Offline
All American

I Root For: CIVILITY & UofM
Just a couple weeks ago it was all about why these coaches WILL leave because these other programs were so much better than where they are at presently. Sooo many of the so called insiders and expert sport analysts were fast to predict the future of these hot coaches and why they will probably leave.

If CJP is so bad then why was he even on this list of hot coaches? The group of coaches mentioned walk a different path and are not driven by money and ego first. They have jobs that offer both enjoyment and security. They are happy with the school and program and the community is happy with them. They feel a sense of accomplishment and worth to the students, school and community.

They have a level of gratitude and loyalty that shows their character. And if there is a poster child for these virtues it is Josh Pastner. And he wears it on his sleeve every day.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 04:19 PM by SayWhat?.)
04-04-2013 12:26 PM
Mtyler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS

I would love it, but would probably be in trouble real quick. I would get the best players money could buy and try to beat everyone by 50. I would try to have 4 star walk-on players. Who needs scholarships when you pay top dollar for walk ons. My bench would go 10 to 15 deep.
04-04-2013 12:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.