http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...s/2047211/
04-02-2013 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
RE: Coaching Carousel
Wow! Just freakin wow! Im shocked that Rutgers didnt act sooner.
04-02-2013 03:12 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Aside from throwing basketballs at their heads, I promise that stuff is probably going on in a majority of schools. Pressure pressure pressure to win but when the video of the sausage factory becomes public everyone washes their hands.
04-02-2013 03:18 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
They haven't acted yet. They suspended him last year (i think he was suspended when they played UAB) but now they say that is the end of it. It has come to light because the DBO was fired for blowing the whistle and went public with video.

Public pressure may lead to him being fired, but as for as Rutgers was concerned it was over.

In breaking news, it is being reported that Rice will be defending himself on the Don Imus radio show and the two of them will discuss why they don't like Rutgers basketball players.
04-02-2013 03:23 PM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(04-02-2013 03:23 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  They haven't acted yet. They suspended him last year (i think he was suspended when they played UAB) but now they say that is the end of it. It has come to light because the DBO was fired for blowing the whistle and went public with video.

Public pressure may lead to him being fired, but as for as Rutgers was concerned it was over.

In breaking news, it is being reported that Rice will be defending himself on the Don Imus radio show and the two of them will discuss why they don't like Rutgers basketball players.

Because they're nappy-headed?
04-02-2013 03:56 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Rutgers may have thought that they had it handled in house, but having it come out that the coach has cursed the players, laid hands on them, kicked them, and thrown basketballs at their heads is going to make it a very public and acrimonious debate.

It's not in house any longer.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 03:59 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
04-02-2013 03:59 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

If cursing is a problem, then you might as well shut down all athletics everywhere above the little league level. And shut down little league in some places.
04-02-2013 04:09 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
It's not the cursing, but using homophobic slurs that is the issue.
04-02-2013 04:31 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-02-2013 04:31 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  It's not the cursing, but using homophobic slurs that is the issue.

Especially at a school where a student committed suicide over being outed.
04-02-2013 04:51 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2013 04:31 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  It's not the cursing, but using homophobic slurs that is the issue.

I missed that. I agree that would be over the line (and, like I said before, throwing basketballs at players' heads)
04-02-2013 05:39 PM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up

I had a high school soccer coach who said way worse than what this guy did. Nobody was forcing us to be there, we could leave at any point, and he never actually meant a word he said, he just went on tirades sometimes.
We are really getting this worked up over bleeping fairy and bleeping f*gg*t? While it's not politically correct, I am willing to bet he is not the only coach in the country to use either of these phrases either.

While I don't really condone the actions of him, I believe this is getting blown out of proportion at this point. One can only imagine what Bobby Knight said to his players back in the day.
04-02-2013 08:30 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Hank Hill said worse about soccer players.
04-02-2013 08:35 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(04-02-2013 08:30 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

I had a high school soccer coach who said way worse than what this guy did. Nobody was forcing us to be there, we could leave at any point, and he never actually meant a word he said, he just went on tirades sometimes.
We are really getting this worked up over bleeping fairy and bleeping f*gg*t? While it's not politically correct, I am willing to bet he is not the only coach in the country to use either of these phrases either.

While I don't really condone the actions of him, I believe this is getting blown out of proportion at this point. One can only imagine what Bobby Knight said to his players back in the day.

Should we get worked over him throwing basketballs at their heads when they aren't looking?
04-02-2013 08:56 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Lots of people commenting in this thread that didn't do enough research on that actual subject of conversation.

Is it too much to ask for people to just watch the damn video before arguing in defense of the guy and making themselves look like morons?
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 09:07 PM by demiveeman.)
04-02-2013 09:06 PM
BlazerUnit Offline
Yeah, I Just Did That

I Root For: Key & Peele
(04-02-2013 09:06 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  Lots of people commenting in this thread that didn't do enough research on that actual subject of conversation.

Is it too much to ask for people to just watch the damn video before arguing in defense of the guy and making themselves look like morons?

This. There's discipline, and then there's the lines crossed through abuse (of both power AND technique).

Mike Rice is owed several behind-the-building beatdowns he doesn't have to worry about getting from his players because Rice himself controls their schollys. If you can't see how that's a problem...
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 01:12 AM by BlazerUnit.)
04-03-2013 01:10 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(04-02-2013 03:12 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  Wow! Just freakin wow! Im shocked that Rutgers didnt act sooner.

They did act sooner. One of the asst coaches brought this to the AD's attention and they acted. They fired the asst coach
04-03-2013 05:44 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(04-02-2013 09:06 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  Lots of people commenting in this thread that didn't do enough research on that actual subject of conversation.

I watched the damn video, there is no need to start name calling. I swear you are the biggest dick when somebody disagrees with anything you see one way.

And MB, I don't agree with throwing balls at the players, but from what I read, this was mostly about the homosexual slurs, which I also said I didn't agree with.
04-03-2013 07:41 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(04-03-2013 07:41 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

I watched the damn video, there is no need to start name calling. I swear you are the biggest dick when somebody disagrees with anything you see one way.

And MB, I don't agree with throwing balls at the players, but from what I read, this was mostly about the homosexual slurs, which I also said I didn't agree with.

You say you don agree and yet you write a long post above sayings it's no big deal and its nothing to get upset about. I happen to think it is a big deal. And I don't think you argument made you look like a moron. It made you look much worse
04-03-2013 08:17 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(04-03-2013 07:41 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  I swear you are the biggest dick...

Inappropriate...

But thanks I guess?
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 09:38 AM by demiveeman.)
04-03-2013 08:32 AM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
I'm saying this isn't as big a deal as people are making it out to be. People act like the guy is out killing puppies or something.

He pushed some players(and please notice how his push barely moved them), he threw some balls at players(this crossed the line the most to me, he could really hurt a player doing this), he grabbed some players by the back of their shirts(it looked like an attention grab to me, like you should be here, not here), and he said some phrases that people don't like.

Again, I didn't ever say there was nothing wrong with any of this, I just said I don't think it's as big an issue as some are trying to make it out to be. You can have your opinion, I'll have mine.

And I'm glad you guys get your jollies off of calling people names from behind a keyboard.
04-03-2013 08:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.