UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Part 2: Tulane sophomore point guard Ricky Tarrant transferring
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
MyBB Part 2: Tulane sophomore point guard Ricky Tarrant transferring
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/201...ard_r.html

Tulane sophomore point guard Ricky Tarrant is transferring from the Green Wave, his father said Tuesday. He has not picked a school yet but his intention is to be closer to his Pleasant Grove, Ala., home.

Tarrant posted this on his Twitter account Tuesday morning: "I will not be attending nor playing basketball for Tulane University next year.."

Tarrant's father said Tulane denied the transfer request though it did grant releases to at least one other member of the team, he said.
http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/inde...out_sports
Darrin Reaves ‏@Engaged2Success 6m
@RickyTarrant2 Come home n put on at #UAB.! I promise ain't no better feeling than gettin off while yo people in da stands!!
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 12:24 PM by WesternBlazer.)
04-02-2013 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Part 2: Tulane sophomore point guard Ricky Tarrant transferring
Tulane is in CUSA next year, but not the year after. I wonder if Tulane would approve a transfer to a CUSA school that is not going to their new conference. He would not be playing next year.
04-02-2013 12:18 PM
hooverblazer Online
Promoter of UAB

Love the tweet from Darrin Reaves.
04-02-2013 12:47 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
We don't have the money to buy him, so obviously he's going to an $EC school.
04-02-2013 12:48 PM
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

Do we have a scholarship? Seems like he's going to bama.
04-02-2013 12:51 PM
hooverblazer Online
Promoter of UAB

I would guess Bama. He sits out a year while Releford is senior then he can step in as the starter. He'd have playing time competition with Watkins here when he's eligible, but I'd certainly take him.
04-02-2013 12:53 PM
Advertisement

BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

If he goes to bama. Coach grant will no longer be the coach there by the time he is eligible. Devin Langford is also available. Langford should be eligible immediately bc he got about the same amount of playing time at Illinois as Karl Moton has gotten at UAB. Question is, who would we give up? Its gotta be hoopy or whitaker. Arent they the only non-seniors besides the recruiting class?

NCAA rules would prevent Tarrant from transferring to another Conference USA school like UAB and playing for two seasons. If he transfers to a school outside of Conference USA then he would be eligible to play for the 2014-2015 season. (From al.com)
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 01:45 PM by BlazeN'Bham.)
04-02-2013 01:01 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Fans are always worried about the number of scholarships. Its something that I don't think coaches worry as much about. If a good player wants to play, the coach will always find a place.
04-02-2013 01:34 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2013 01:01 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  If he goes to bama. Coach grant will no longer be the coach there by the time he is eligible. Devin Langford is also available. Langford should be eligible immediately bc he got about the same amount of playing time at Illinois as Karl Moton has gotten at UAB. Question is, who would we give up? Its gotta be hoopy or whitaker. Arent they the only non-seniors besides the recruiting class?

NCAA rules would prevent Tarrant from transferring to another Conference USA school like UAB and playihg for two seasons. If he transfers to a school outside of Conference USA then he would be eligible to play for the 2014-2015 season.

I don't think that is an NCAA rule but a conference(by conference) rule. The SEC and the ACC have that rule but I don't think CUSA or most other conferences do. Of course, I could be wrong...
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 01:36 PM by WesternBlazer.)
04-02-2013 01:35 PM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

(04-02-2013 01:35 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 01:01 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  If he goes to bama. Coach grant will no longer be the coach there by the time he is eligible. Devin Langford is also available. Langford should be eligible immediately bc he got about the same amount of playing time at Illinois as Karl Moton has gotten at UAB. Question is, who would we give up? Its gotta be hoopy or whitaker. Arent they the only non-seniors besides the recruiting class?

NCAA rules would prevent Tarrant from transferring to another Conference USA school like UAB and playihg for two seasons. If he transfers to a school outside of Conference USA then he would be eligible to play for the 2014-2015 season.

I don't think that is an NCAA rule but a conference(by conference) rule. The SEC and the ACC have that rule but I don't think CUSA or most other conferences do. Of course, I could be wrong...

its what i read in the al.com article. So its likely fiction.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/compliance/...iance.html

INTRACONFERENCE TRANSFER PETITION

GENERAL RULE: The eligibility of a student-athlete or prospective student-athlete who has signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) with a Conference USA institution who transfers directly or indirectly from one conference member institution to another shall be determined by NCAA regulations. In the event NCAA regulations require the student-athlete to complete one full academic year in residence before being eligible to compete in a sport, the student-athlete shall also forfeit one season of competition in that sport.

In addition, a 4-2-4 transfer student-athlete who is in compliance with NCAA Bylaw 14.5.6 must complete one full academic year in residence before being eligible to compete in a sport and forfeits one season of competition unless, in sports other than football and basketball, the director of athletics of the conference member institution of initial enrollment consents in writing to the student-athlete’s enrollment at the second conference member institution. Any consent given relating to a direct or indirect intra-conference transfer may be unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing one full academic year in residence at the second conference member institution before competing.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 01:48 PM by BlazeN'Bham.)
04-02-2013 01:44 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Josh Davis, Tulanes leading scorer is also transferring.
04-02-2013 04:56 PM
Advertisement

HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
What's going on at Tulane? Do they have a Ricist AD too?
04-02-2013 04:58 PM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2013 04:58 PM)HSV_BLAZER Wrote:  What's going on at Tulane? Do they have a Ricist AD too?

I see what you did there.
04-02-2013 10:16 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(04-02-2013 04:56 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Josh Davis, Tulanes leading scorer is also transferring.

Since both will have to "sit out" a year, might either or both come to UAB?
04-02-2013 10:50 PM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

(04-02-2013 10:50 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 04:56 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Josh Davis, Tulanes leading scorer is also transferring.

Since both will have to "sit out" a year, might either or both come to UAB?

No, Tarrant(sophomore) would have to sit out 2 years because a redshirt year and another for a forfeited season due to some conference transfer rules. Davis(junior?), I assume hasn't used his redshirt year, becomes a redshirt senior and would have to forfeit his senior year. This would be the case only if the players transfer to a current fellow conference member.

Am I right, anyone else got any idea?
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 11:35 PM by BlazeN'Bham.)
04-02-2013 11:30 PM
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
A Tulane fan on the main board said Davis is likely to play pro ball in Europe.
04-02-2013 11:33 PM
Advertisement

Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
Maybe they realize they are a product and decided to make a decision that best benefit their own future.
And Tarrant wanting to be close to home is as good of reason as any...He have several choices that meet his desires to be closer to home.....
He does fit our coach style of play, not so much Alabama, but Samford yes....and since Tulane is leaving, screw a conference transfer rule that is for conference members, that doesnt sound like Tulane...Tulane is going to the unknown conference with the unknown conference rules...
So let the kid transfer anywhere within the conference he want, if he want to..
04-03-2013 06:51 AM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

INTRACONFERENCE TRANSFER POLICIES FOR DIVISION I CONFERENCES (UPDATED MAY 2012)
http://compliance.pac-12.org/ccacaitems/...nsfers.pdf

I don't think he has to sit 2 years if he transfers to another CUSA institution. That seems to be a conference-by-conference requirement. And even then, in some cases, the transfer can play after sitting out the NCAA-required 1 year if he pays his own way for one or both years.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 07:06 AM by WesternBlazer.)
04-03-2013 07:02 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Is the coach going to sign his transfer request? I thought I read somewhere that the coach wasn't going to.
04-03-2013 07:35 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
He does not have to sit out two years.

Even if his coach does not sign the release he can still transfer anywhere he wants as long as he pays his way the first season. In the article his dad says that he is willing to pay his way for a year.
Quote:"He is transferring," his dad said. "The bottom line is if they don't release Ricky than I'll pay Ricky to go to school one year. I don't have a problem with that.
Tulane is not even going to be in the league the 14-15 season any way.

He is not a 5th year Senior and he is not trying to become eligible to play right away. As long as he pays his own way the first season he only sits out that season and he will have two years of eligibility left. He loses his redshirt year. That is what he will forfeit. Not another season. If he gets injured he will not be eligible for a medical redshirt.

I have noticed how the media seems to be trying to push him to Tuscalooser.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 08:36 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
04-03-2013 08:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.