Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

nmsu and idaho protect the sunbelt
Bookmark and Share
bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
nmsu and idaho protect the sunbelt
there has been talk of CUSA taking ULL and stAte to get to 16. if that happens the addition of NMSU and Idaho keep the sunbelt at 9 for football. Four home and four away and the best set up to build rivalries. no need to bring up anyone from FCS until they are ready for the move. Someone is thinking ahead
04-01-2013 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
RE: nmsu and idaho protect the sunbelt
(04-01-2013 08:09 PM)bladhmadh Wrote:  there has been talk of CUSA taking ULL and stAte to get to 16. if that happens the addition of NMSU and Idaho keep the sunbelt at 9 for football. Four home and four away and the best set up to build rivalries. no need to bring up anyone from FCS until they are ready for the move. Someone is thinking ahead

Yep. Insurance policy.
04-01-2013 08:11 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(04-01-2013 08:09 PM)bladhmadh Wrote:  there has been talk of CUSA taking ULL and stAte to get to 16. if that happens the addition of NMSU and Idaho keep the sunbelt at 9 for football. Four home and four away and the best set up to build rivalries. no need to bring up anyone from FCS until they are ready for the move. Someone is thinking ahead

How do you figure set up for building rivalries?

NMSU, Idaho, & Texas State are all on away from everyone else.

Seems like this move was both to insure that if CUSA came calling again, no need to scramble, and if they don't we have the championship game which is sounding like a pre-requisite to be in the playoffs that are coming.
04-01-2013 08:38 PM
Bubba Bexley Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ASU

I am not sure CUSA will pull the trigger and take two more in the near future. It is more likely the Belt loses a certain school in Jonesboro to the MAC. Plus, if CUSA does raid again, I believe it will return to grabbing large markets/programs with potential (Texas State and Ga. State.) If Louisiana-Lafayette leaves, it will be to the MAC or Indy.
04-01-2013 08:56 PM
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ga Southern
The travel BS is so overblown. Las Cruces sounds like a fun place to take a road trip. They have planes these days, people.
The original poster makes an excellent point about Idaho and NMSU.
04-01-2013 10:28 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
NMST and Idaho had no where to go and if they did being in the SBC wouldn't stop that. ULL and ArkSt might at some point leave the SBC but right now that doesn't seem likely in the near future. Personally I would love to see both in CUSA but if any moves take place they are usually after months of smoke and rumors.

Other than a few fans hoping there really isn't much rumor supporting any short term moves by ULL or Ark St. So the addition of NMST and Idaho most likely are for another reason.
04-01-2013 10:51 PM
Advertisement

CaliforniaCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-01-2013 10:51 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  NMST and Idaho had no where to go and if they did being in the SBC wouldn't stop that. ULL and ArkSt might at some point leave the SBC but right now that doesn't seem likely in the near future. Personally I would love to see both in CUSA but if any moves take place they are usually after months of smoke and rumors.

Other than a few fans hoping there really isn't much rumor supporting any short term moves by ULL or Ark St. So the addition of NMST and Idaho most likely are for another reason.

I think UL and state will join CUSA soon.
04-01-2013 11:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

(04-01-2013 11:13 PM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 10:51 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  NMST and Idaho had no where to go and if they did being in the SBC wouldn't stop that. ULL and ArkSt might at some point leave the SBC but right now that doesn't seem likely in the near future. Personally I would love to see both in CUSA but if any moves take place they are usually after months of smoke and rumors.

Based on what?
04-01-2013 11:36 PM
joshdude182 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(04-01-2013 11:36 PM)Walter Sobchak Wrote:  

Based on what?

They'd do anything to get out of this mess...as soon as they have a glimmer of an opportunity, they're gone. But I don't know if that opportunity will come.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 11:38 PM by joshdude182.)
04-01-2013 11:38 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Get such a warm and fuzzy feeling being in the Sun Belt family.
Guess soon it will be App State, Georgia Southern and Karl Benson.
04-01-2013 11:41 PM
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

(04-01-2013 11:38 PM)joshdude182 Wrote:  

Based on what?

They'd do anything to get out of this mess...as soon as they have a glimmer of an opportunity, they're gone. But I don't know if that opportunity will come.
Why do you consider the conference a mess?
How is it any worse off than cUSA?
04-01-2013 11:45 PM
Advertisement

bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(04-01-2013 08:38 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

Seems like this move was both to insure that if CUSA came calling again, no need to scramble, and if they don't we have the championship game which is sounding like a pre-requisite to be in the playoffs that are coming.

Rivalries are created on the field A 9 team set up allows you to play every team every year. It's hard for fans to build a good dislike for a team they only see at home once decade
04-02-2013 05:45 AM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
(04-01-2013 11:41 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Get such a warm and fuzzy feeling being in the Sun Belt family.

At least we can still hate each other and keep the rivalry game.
04-02-2013 06:22 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
(04-01-2013 11:41 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Get such a warm and fuzzy feeling being in the Sun Belt family.

04-cheers

I'll be a Sun Belt nationalist until we are the only school left.
04-02-2013 06:25 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta

Based on what?

based on the fact that more low profile regional schools such as liberty and jmu and jacksonville state have been mentioned as invitees..
both stAte and u-laf consider themselves at a higher level and would likely bail as soon as they could. If c-usa loses a couple more of their top tier programs and the belt resists the urge to add anymore move-ups with maybe the exception of mo-state, the belt would be harder to leave.
04-02-2013 07:13 AM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-01-2013 08:38 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

Should ASU and Louisiana get invitations to leave the Sun Belt, the votes would be there for any SLC program ready to move up like a Lamar or Sam Houston State.
04-02-2013 08:44 AM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Total hypothetical on my part, and I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I'm curious.

The WAC still has time to remain a football league (by the end of May, I believe). IF, by some strange turn of events, the WAC was able to invite 6 FCS teams to move up to FBS, would NMSU and Idaho be willing to go back?

I have no clue, and really don't think this has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but was curious.

If say, Montana, Montana State, Cal Poly, Sac State, Portland State, and one other announced they were moving to the WAC and starting FBS football, would that entice the two "outliers" to come back to the WAC?

Again, I'm not talking about likelihood of this to happen, I'm just wondering if it DID happen.
04-02-2013 12:12 PM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State

No, you will always have Troy, USA and ULM to keep you warm. By that point though, you will have added JMU, Jax State, Liberty and Sam Houston to the mix - it's a never-ending party.
04-02-2013 12:24 PM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
(04-02-2013 12:12 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Total hypothetical on my part, and I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I'm curious.

The WAC still has time to remain a football league (by the end of May, I believe). IF, by some strange turn of events, the WAC was able to invite 6 FCS teams to move up to FBS, would NMSU and Idaho be willing to go back?

I have no clue, and really don't think this has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but was curious.

If say, Montana, Montana State, Cal Poly, Sac State, Portland State, and one other announced they were moving to the WAC and starting FBS football, would that entice the two "outliers" to come back to the WAC?

Again, I'm not talking about likelihood of this to happen, I'm just wondering if it DID happen.

I wouldn't see why not.
04-02-2013 12:25 PM
Fear The Frog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
Could also be due to the 5 FBS home games Rule
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 01:01 PM by Fear The Frog.)
04-02-2013 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.