Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Rebounding
Bookmark and Share
tigergg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Rebounding
Watching the Marquette and Syracuse game..You talking about rebounding with a purpose..Marquette especially crashes the boards, every time they take a shot there are 2 or 3 of there players that literally go after the ball..You can tell they really take rebounding seriously, both teams..I guess because we aren't a good rebounding team I have started paying attention to it more watching these games..Rebounding can definitely make or break a team..
03-30-2013 03:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
RE: Rebounding
http://www.ihoops.com/training-room/The-...Center.htm

Perhaps no player is more important to getting results than the center.

Centers need to be physical and tough. They are close to the basket, so they're counted on for high-percentage shots. Their rebounding skills are crucial, and they need to play strong defense to prevent easy baskets by the opposing team. They are the last line of defense, and often, a team's best chance on offense.

If you're the center on your basketball team, you have a unique skill set to work on. So start here--this is a collection of tips, drills and advice that will help you achieve your maximum potential at an intensely demanding position.

Defense and Shot Blocking
You are the most important defender on the floor because you stand between an opponent and two points. Here's how to make the most of your presence inside.

8 Drills to Create a Great Shot Blocker: These practice drills will help you better anticipate shot-blocking opportunities.

Defensive Footwork Tips: Strong footwork is the difference between frustrating your opponent and giving up easy points all game long.

Shooting
Banging around inside offers chances at close-range shots, which your team needs. Here are tips for taking advantage of your size and position.

The Jump Hook: A signature shot that's nearly impossible to defend. Learn how to get good at a valuable inside weapon.

Video: 3 Shooting Drills for Around the Rim: Watch how the Duke University coaching staff trains their players to make point-blank shots.

Shoot Free Throws Like the Pros: Good centers draw a lot of fouls. Make them count by sinking your shots at the charity stripe.

Rebounding
A simple rebound can be the difference between a big win and a heartbreaking loss. Finish every play by crashing the glass, grabbing caroms and giving your team crucial possessions.

5 Simple Ways to Improve Your Rebounding: Here are five ways to improve rebounding that you probably never thought about.

The Close Out/Box Out Drill: Make sure you seal off your defender and grab the board with this video tip.
03-30-2013 04:00 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

http://www.ihoops.com/training-room/The-...orward.htm

The power forward plays a crucial role in the smooth operation of a basketball team.

Power forwards must be excellent rebounders--and just as importantly, must be able to take care of the ball after securing it. Power forwards have to be able to hit open shots, since they typically aren't the focal point of a defense. They have to be a spark who's capable of making a big play for the team.

If you fit in well as a power forward, use this guide to take your game to another level. From rebounding to shooting to supporting the center, this is your resource to playing the power forward position to the best of your ability.

Rebounding
Some of the great rebounders of all time--Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman--were power forwards. Securing rebounds and keeping possession with your team is one of the biggest and most important jobs of the position. Here are tips and advice for rebounding the rock effectively.

5 Simple Ways to Improve Your Rebounding: Here are five tips you may not think of that will improve your rebounding.

The Close-Out Box-Out Drill: Sealing off your opponent is a huge key in pulling down the rebound. Here is a drill that stresses the box out as the best way to secure a carom.

Defense and Shot Blocking
As one of the post players, power forwards are asked to make life tough for opponents close to the basket by denying position, closing up passing lanes and not allowing any easy close-range shots. Here's how to do that.

Frontcourt Defensive Footwork: Good footwork is the only thing between your opponent and two easy points, so make sure it's fundamentally sound by following this advice.

8 Drills to Create a Great Shot Blocker: Use these drills to better anticipate and execute a blocked shot.

Though primary scorers are often centers or shooting guards, a power forward that can make shots is a huge asset to any successful basketball team. Here's how to polish up your shooting and give your team another weapon around the basket.

3 Shooting Drills for Around the Rim: Duke University practices these simple drills everyday, including the famous Mikan Drill.

How to Master the Mid-Range Shot: Without a 3-point line gauging your range, use tips like these to make sure your mid-range shot is consistent. Hint: it's all in the footwork.
03-30-2013 04:05 PM
twcoleman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U of M
I'm trying to watch the game but so far it's pretty unwatchable to me....just an ugly game so far, but I guess this is Big East bb at its finest.
03-30-2013 05:10 PM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
Syracuse is now sending 4 players to the boards and it's paying off.
03-30-2013 05:31 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

Saw the big kid from Kansas go up for a rebound with one hand, and he lost it. That is what TB does sometimes. Got to get two hands on the ball. That is basic rebounding.
03-30-2013 05:44 PM
Advertisement

JacobSmiley Offline
Banned

I Root For: TigerPonies
Didn't we have some new fancy rebounding drill that the CA wrote about before the season that was supposed to fix all of our problems?
03-30-2013 05:45 PM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

Syracuse plays relentless defense and play the percentage shots... If you are not a good shooting team... You are toast against Syracuse

39 pts gotta the lowest any team has scored in the Tourney
03-30-2013 05:56 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Tigers outrebounded opponents by 4 per game.

Outrebounded opponents in 22 games, were outrebounded in 13 games.

Outrebounded Louisville by 6.

Yes- there were a few games where we lost badly on the boards. but- there were several games where we dominated the boards.

MSU really outrebounded our kids- and some will cling to that.

This meme is similar to arguing that in any game we lost- the other team scored more points in those games.

Of course, rebounding even better would be great.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 06:00 PM by Mimi.)
03-30-2013 05:59 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

Our little players did the rebounding.... Remember DJ?

Pretty sure against Louisville it was DJ or a player like Geron leading the rebound battle.

Our bigs rank the lowest amongst bigs in D1. Memphis is the only team whose rebounding is inverted.....the smalls often outbound the bigs. No way to sugarcoat that. JJ should not have more defensive rebounds for the season than both Black and Shaq and almost tied w/Thomas. Pathetic
03-30-2013 06:43 PM
BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
I remember hearing a couple of weeks ago that most all of the top teams in the country are also the top teams in rebounding. At every level.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 06:46 PM by BIGGESTTIGERJLB.)
03-30-2013 06:45 PM
Advertisement

CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

Damn i'm good.

Just checked the stats and like I said, both DJ and GJ lead the team with 8 apiece. Shaq had 5, Black 2.

Pretty sure mimi knew this given she brought up that game.....too bad she didnt see the fallacy there.
03-30-2013 06:53 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

Looking at another game we loss and by only two points,

Xavier owned the boards. Again, DJ and Geron lead the starters in rebounding with 12 whereas Shaq and Thomas collected 2 each. Black actually had a good game w/9 but rarely will Shaq/Black/Thomas all have decent rebounding games in the same game.
03-30-2013 07:00 PM
tigergg Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2013 06:53 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  Damn i'm good.

Just checked the stats and like I said, both DJ and GJ lead the team with 8 apiece. Shaq had 5, Black 2.

Pretty sure mimi knew this given she brought up that game.....too bad she didnt see the fallacy there.
Also Louisville's big man Dieng(not sure of spelling) was out with broken wrist..No excuse not to outrebound them with Dieng not on the floor..
03-30-2013 07:04 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

Dang, I forgot about Dieng.

Having him on the floor wouldve swing the tide in Louisville favor for sure. Good catch!

Also, just heard Duke's Curry speak on the Mich State game. He said it took 1 thru 5 to show up to beat that team and their physical play. Memphis only had 1 thru 3 show up which happens often.....too bad this wasn't a cusa game.
03-30-2013 07:20 PM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

(03-30-2013 07:20 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  Dang, I forgot about Dieng.

Having him on the floor wouldve swing the tide in Louisville favor for sure. Good catch!

Also, just heard Duke's Curry speak on the Mich State game. He said it took 1 thru 5 to show up to beat that team and their physical play. Memphis only had 1 thru 3 show up which happens often.....too bad this wasn't a cusa game.

Seth is being modest as he scored 29 points. His hot shooting set the tempo and forced MSU out of their comfort zone.

Plus Duke played their usual 2 bigs that matched up well with Nix & Payne.
03-30-2013 07:51 PM
Advertisement

Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Offline
Knower of all known knowings

I Root For: Master Yoda
(03-30-2013 06:43 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  Our little players did the rebounding.... Remember DJ?

Pretty sure against Louisville it was DJ or a player like Geron leading the rebound battle.

Our bigs rank the lowest amongst bigs in D1. Memphis is the only team whose rebounding is inverted.....the smalls often outbound the bigs. No way to sugarcoat that. JJ should not have more defensive rebounds for the season than both Black and Shaq and almost tied w/Thomas. Pathetic

Its hardly news to say Black and Shaq have to rebound better.

Seems almost comical when someone posts it again like the rest of us don't know it already.
03-30-2013 08:11 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

Evidently mimi didnt know.
03-30-2013 08:21 PM
Blackman Offline
Special Teams

(03-30-2013 05:45 PM)JacobSmiley Wrote:  Didn't we have some new fancy rebounding drill that the CA wrote about before the season that was supposed to fix all of our problems?

Actually we improved our rebounding by leaps and bounds as compared to last year.
Last year we were ranked 177 in the country with 34.4
This year we were 38th in the nation with 37.8

So that drill led to some improvement.
03-30-2013 08:37 PM
TigerBabbler Offline
All American

I Root For:
WSU ...that team plays with heart....great to see....great TEAM! GREAT COACH WHO COACHES THE JIMMY'S AND JOE'S!

HOPE THEY SHOCK THE WORLD! They are grit and grind college version...Hall is a man child and undersized too...ALL HEART!
03-30-2013 08:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.