why-cant-college-football-embrace-the-Cinderella
03-29-2013 12:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
RE: why-cant-college-football-embrace-the-Cinderella
Reading this makes me hate that A-hole Herbstreit all over again.

I do like that here we are...in the spring and NIU is still being talked about & getting publicity.
03-30-2013 12:14 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It's really not that difficult to understand. The basketball system allows teams to move on based on winning games in a tournament format. The football system uses a formula that most people don't understand to dictate who gets to play who in a one off game. FGCU and Wichita State have played and beaten the teams in front of them to move forward. We didn't beat a single top 16 team last year and our SOS was pathetic. If NCAA football used a 16 team playoff, NIU got seeded and beat Michigan and Alabama to move into the semifinals we would get the "cinderella' effect too. The entire country would learn about our team in those few weeks and the media would run stories turning our players into the lovable, hardworking, under appreciated guys...just like FGCU got for the past 10 days. The average fan probably couldn't name more than one player on our team going into the OB.
03-30-2013 12:22 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(03-30-2013 12:22 PM)armour248 Wrote:  It's really not that difficult to understand. The basketball system allows teams to move on based on winning games in a tournament format. The football system uses a formula that most people don't understand to dictate who gets to play who in a one off game. FGCU and Wichita State have played and beaten the teams in front of them to move forward. We didn't beat a single top 16 team last year and our SOS was pathetic. If NCAA football used a 16 team playoff, NIU got seeded and beat Michigan and Alabama to move into the semifinals we would get the "cinderella' effect too. The entire country would learn about our team in those few weeks and the media would run stories turning our players into the lovable, hardworking, under appreciated guys...just like FGCU got for the past 10 days. The average fan probably couldn't name more than one player on our team going into the OB.

Agreed, it is the system people hate, not the team. Honestly, I couldn't name a single player on FSU's team and aside from some Big 10 teams I don't know many players around the college football landscape. I am a Pro-sports fan first and foremost.
03-30-2013 12:36 PM
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
last night on Twitter Herbstreit congratulated Erin Andrews on Florida's win over FGCU. There was still 15 minutes left in the 2nd half and FGCU was only down 7 when he said it.

the guy is an ass hat.
03-30-2013 07:38 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(03-30-2013 12:14 PM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  Reading this makes me hate that A-hole Herbstreit all over again.

Herpestreak is a piece of 01-scout, plain and simple.
03-30-2013 10:53 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Just absolutely awesome that Wichita State beat Ohio State to go to the Final Four. Herbie's head must have exploded tonight. I am still laughing my a** off. 03-lmfao
03-30-2013 11:10 PM
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(03-30-2013 12:36 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 12:22 PM)armour248 Wrote:  It's really not that difficult to understand. The basketball system allows teams to move on based on winning games in a tournament format. The football system uses a formula that most people don't understand to dictate who gets to play who in a one off game. FGCU and Wichita State have played and beaten the teams in front of them to move forward. We didn't beat a single top 16 team last year and our SOS was pathetic. If NCAA football used a 16 team playoff, NIU got seeded and beat Michigan and Alabama to move into the semifinals we would get the "cinderella' effect too. The entire country would learn about our team in those few weeks and the media would run stories turning our players into the lovable, hardworking, under appreciated guys...just like FGCU got for the past 10 days. The average fan probably couldn't name more than one player on our team going into the OB.

Agreed, it is the system people hate, not the team. Honestly, I couldn't name a single player on FSU's team and aside from some Big 10 teams I don't know many players around the college football landscape. I am a Pro-sports fan first and foremost.

I checked out the other link offerring a 64 team playoff for football, which I thought was unnecessary. It would take half a season to play out the tournament.

In the proposed simulation, they had NIU playing Toledo. They already played in the season, and the MAC Championship should mean something, so all that is needed is for the Huskies to represent the MAC.

Here is my quick solution:

In FBS, you have 11 conferences and independants. Make the Independants a conference.

The champions and only the champions in each conference go to the tournament. I don't care the top four teams in the nation are all in the SEC, only one goes to the tourney. The rest of the winning teams can go to non-tournament bowl games.

Give a first round bye to ACC, Big Ten, Big Twelve, and PAC-12 champs. The other eight champs play in the first round. The winners then take on the big conferences.

Perhaps the non tourney bowl games could contribute to conference rankings in the following year's tourney.

If the Huskies end up playing FSU in the tourney, Herbstreit can't complain about how someone else should have been chosen. The Huskies would have played their way there, just like Wichita State played their way into the Final Four.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 11:19 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
04-01-2013 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
12 teams, top 6 conference champions and remaining top 6 ranked teams. #1-#4 get first week bye. #5-#8 host first round game.

Elite 8 are held at BCS stadiums A, B, C & D with C & D having pick 1/2,3/4
Final 4 are held at BCS stadiums A, B
Championship is held at E

Here is what it would have looked like this past season...without the 2 team per conference MAX rule that is in place now.

#1 ND.....#8 LSU vs #9 TX A&M
#4 Oregon.....#5 Kansas St vs #12 Wisconsin

#2 AL.....#7 Georgia vs #10 FSU
#3 FL.....#6 Stanford vs #11 NIU
04-01-2013 11:45 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-29-2013 12:03 PM)JCCNIU31 Wrote:  http://m.bleacherreport.com/yourbest11

It isn't manly!
04-02-2013 05:40 PM
Advertisement

Kevin S Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
A big reason that college football does not embrace Cinderella's is because with NIU's Orange Bowl bid, they took $17,500,000 from a BCS conference. If Wichita State took a multi-million dollar payout from Ohio State and the Big 10 with their victory, they would not be looked at as Cinderella's but as pillaging thieves.
04-02-2013 09:42 PM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
(04-02-2013 09:42 PM)Kevin S Wrote:  A big reason that college football does not embrace Cinderella's is because with NIU's Orange Bowl bid, they took $17,500,000 from a BCS conference. If Wichita State took a multi-million dollar payout from Ohio State and the Big 10 with their victory, they would not be looked at as Cinderella's but as pillaging thieves.

That's not it. The BCS conferences make enough money on their TV deals that the bowl payouts really aren't that important to them. You divide $17.5 million among 12-14 teams and you're well under $2 million per school. That's chump change to conferences like the Big Ten and SEC.

The system in football is terrible and everybody knows it. That's what people hate.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 10:27 PM by UIHuskie.)
04-02-2013 10:18 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Yep. Bowl payouts are chump change in the grand scheme of things. TV contracts are king.
04-02-2013 10:31 PM
Advertisement

HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
Speaking of the Orange Bowl, it looks like FSU is going to have 4 players invited to New York for the draft. More than any other college team. Just shows how talented and good that team was.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 01:16 PM by HuskiePride12.)
04-03-2013 01:16 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(04-03-2013 01:16 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  Speaking of the Orange Bowl, it looks like FSU is going to have 4 players invited to New York for the draft. More than any other college team. Just shows how talented and good that team was.

The way I look at it....For the 2012 preseason

That FSU team was supposed to compete for a national title.
That NIU team was supposed to be 3rd in the MAC West.
04-03-2013 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.