Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Newest Ask the AD (or This Year's Ask the AD)
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Newest Ask the AD (or This Year's Ask the AD)
http://www.riceowls.com/genrel/032713aac.html

The last question brought a great response from Tomball Owl last night.

Q: What was the design, review and approval process that ended up with the new Sammy mascot?

A: A committee was formed consisting of alumni, donors, students, cheerleaders and past Sammy's. The group went through three-rounds of mock-up designs and proofs. The committee did not want to stray too far from the former Sammy with the ultimate goals of giving him more brawn and keep him child-friendly at the same time.

Tomball Owl asked which of the past Sammy's was a drag queen?
03-29-2013 08:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
RE: Newest Ask the AD (or This Year's Ask the AD)
More Brawn? Seriously?
03-29-2013 09:01 AM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(03-29-2013 09:01 AM)Antarius Wrote:  More Brawn? Seriously?

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a new Associate AD of Mascot Training and Muscular Development.
03-29-2013 09:06 AM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Or is it more Braun?
03-29-2013 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-29-2013 08:46 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  http://www.riceowls.com/genrel/032713aac.html

Q: What was the design, review and approval process that ended up with the new Sammy mascot?

A: A committee was formed consisting of alumni, donors, students, cheerleaders and past Sammy's. The group went through three-rounds of mock-up designs and proofs. The committee did not want to stray too far from the former Sammy with the ultimate goals of giving him more brawn and keep him child-friendly at the same time.

Tomball Owl asked which of the past Sammy's was a drag queen?

overlooking the obvious...
03-29-2013 10:07 AM
ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
(03-29-2013 09:06 AM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  
(03-29-2013 09:01 AM)Antarius Wrote:  More Brawn? Seriously?

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a new Associate AD of Mascot Training and Muscular Development.

Yes, and FIRE THE S&C COACH!!! 01-lauramac2
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 12:15 PM by ChicagoOwl (BS '07).)
03-29-2013 12:15 PM
Advertisement

owlaholic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice for life
Quote:Editor's Note: We received two questions regarding Title IX:
Has Rice considered adding a women's golf or softball program?
Title IX recently turned forty. Where does Rice stand with regard to compliance? Will Rice need to add a new sport or replace an existing sport in order to increase the number of participants in women's athletics? Are any particular sports being considered?
Rice Athletics hired an outside consultant a year ago to assess the areas of compliance that are identified with Title IX. Since then, President Leebron has formed a Title IX Gender Equity committee that consists of faculty and staff on campus to review the report and make recommendations to him, including the potential addition of sports. We are currently working through this process.

Chances of this happening? Particularly softball? Wouldn't a softball team have to have 'equal' facilities as the baseball team?
03-29-2013 12:50 PM
MOBalum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Baseball GeniusNew Orleans Bowl
(03-29-2013 08:46 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  http://www.riceowls.com/genrel/032713aac.html

A: A committee was formed consisting of alumni, donors, students, cheerleaders and past Sammy's.

Forget the alleged discrimination. Greenspan should be fired for this egregious apostrophe violation.
03-29-2013 01:07 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
I am really happy that the nonAD is focused on the really important things like Sammy's costume
03-29-2013 09:11 PM
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
(03-29-2013 09:11 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  I am really happy that the nonAD is focused on the really important things like Sammy's costume

Me too. If he is focussed on that, he has less time to screw up everything else.
03-29-2013 09:23 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(03-29-2013 01:07 PM)MOBalum Wrote:  

A: A committee was formed consisting of alumni, donors, students, cheerleaders and past Sammy's.

Forget the alleged discrimination. Greenspan should be fired for this egregious apostrophe violation.

To be fair, this particular instance is a tricky and not very familiar issue. Should the plural of "Sammy" be:
- Sammys (following the usual practice of strictly treating a proper noun as an inviolable regular noun)
- Sammy's (analogizing to the old but now largely (but not entirely) discontinued custom of using apostrophes to form the non-possessive plurals of special terms, such as numbers ("the 1930's") or abbreviations ("PhD's")
- Sammies (analogizing to how a common noun with a similar ending would be declined)

The real answer: don't put it in writing -- all three options sound the same in speech 03-wink
03-30-2013 10:54 AM
Advertisement

WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2013 12:50 PM)owlaholic Wrote:  
Quote:Editor's Note: We received two questions regarding Title IX:
Has Rice considered adding a women's golf or softball program?
Title IX recently turned forty. Where does Rice stand with regard to compliance? Will Rice need to add a new sport or replace an existing sport in order to increase the number of participants in women's athletics? Are any particular sports being considered?
Rice Athletics hired an outside consultant a year ago to assess the areas of compliance that are identified with Title IX. Since then, President Leebron has formed a Title IX Gender Equity committee that consists of faculty and staff on campus to review the report and make recommendations to him, including the potential addition of sports. We are currently working through this process.

Chances of this happening? Particularly softball? Wouldn't a softball team have to have 'equal' facilities as the baseball team?

Yes. That's why softball won't be happening at Rice at any time in the near future. Women's golf would be the likely first new sport. Of course, Rice could help the participation numbers for women, simply by allowing more slots for the non-head count sports.
03-30-2013 11:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2013 11:05 AM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Women's golf would be the likely first new sport. O

Is a sport whoe contests are never seen by any fan whatsoever really the best way to expand our athletic program? I realize that no new sport will MAKE money, and so perhaps the biggest calculus is simply which will lose the least. But surely the notion that there is positive value in students, faculty, alumni and other fans actually seeing Rice athletes compete would be at least a marginal factor. Otherwise, why add any teams at all? (After all, if the goal is simply to miminize losses, surely reducing sports is more effective path than adding them.)
03-30-2013 11:18 AM
Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
Is there much in the way of women's lacrosse or field hockey in this part of the country? My high school alma mater, St. John's, which is in Houston, certainly participates in these sports and, indeed, pretty regularly sends young women to colleges (sometimes on scholarships) for these sports (the popular destinations seem to be Princeton and Stanford). So I think these sports are reasonably popular in Texas at the high school level; I just have no idea about the college level.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 11:33 AM by Barrett.)
03-30-2013 11:32 AM
seniorowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice and Navy
I am a former Sammy....I was NEVER consulted re: the new outfit. I think that it is a shame.
03-30-2013 01:49 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(03-30-2013 11:32 AM)Barrett Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 11:18 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 11:05 AM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Women's golf would be the likely first new sport.

Is a sport whose contests are never seen by any fan whatsoever really the best way to expand our athletic program? I realize that no new sport will MAKE money, and so perhaps the biggest calculus is simply which will lose the least. But surely the notion that there is positive value in students, faculty, alumni and other fans actually seeing Rice athletes compete would be at least a marginal factor. Otherwise, why add any teams at all? (After all, if the goal is simply to miminize losses, surely reducing sports is more effective path than adding them.)

Is there much in the way of women's lacrosse or field hockey in this part of the country? My high school alma mater, St. John's, which is in Houston, certainly participates in these sports and, indeed, pretty regularly sends young women to colleges (sometimes on scholarships) for these sports (the popular destinations seem to be Princeton and Stanford). So I think these sports are reasonably popular in Texas at the high school level; I just have no idea about the college level.

Aside from his erroneous statement that there isn't "any fan whatesoever" who watches colleagiate golf, (I do! I enjoyed seeing the Owls compete at SF's Olympic Club a few years back, and a friend on the Duke team down at CordeValle; both PGA/USGA championship courses)) I suspect that George is setting the stage for making the case that Rice should add a women's sport that would attract many new fans and, hopefully, paying customers.

Knowing his strong research and analytical bent, I wouldn't be surprised if his proposal would be that Rice join our academic near-peer, soon-to-be-former Conference USA and would-be Magnolia conference mate, Tulane, Cinderella school da jour, Florida Gulf Coast, continuing C-USA competitor, UAB, and 31 other colleges (including Stanford, Cal & UCLA) in fielding a women's team that even our AD could get behind ... sand (aka, beach) volleyball.

This is an "emerging" NCAA sport, which will get championship status when more than 40 schools field a team. Apparently in D-1, the NCAA allows six scholarships over four years, and rules benefit schools that keep sand and indoor volleyball separate.

Got sand?
03-30-2013 02:09 PM
Advertisement

ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
(03-30-2013 02:09 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 11:05 AM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Women's golf would be the likely first new sport.

Is a sport whose contests are never seen by any fan whatsoever really the best way to expand our athletic program? I realize that no new sport will MAKE money, and so perhaps the biggest calculus is simply which will lose the least. But surely the notion that there is positive value in students, faculty, alumni and other fans actually seeing Rice athletes compete would be at least a marginal factor. Otherwise, why add any teams at all? (After all, if the goal is simply to miminize losses, surely reducing sports is more effective path than adding them.)

Aside from his erroneous statement that there isn't "any fan whatesoever" who watches colleagiate golf, (I do! I enjoyed seeing the Owls compete at SF's Olympic Club a few years back, and a friend on the Duke team down at CordeValle; both PGA/USGA championship courses)) I suspect that George is setting the stage for making the case that Rice should add a women's sport that would attract many new fans and, hopefully, paying customers.

Knowing his strong research and analytical bent, I wouldn't be surprised if his proposal would be that Rice join our academic near-peer, soon-to-be-former Conference USA and would-be Magnolia conference mate, Tulane, Cinderella school da jour, Florida Gulf Coast, continuing C-USA competitor, UAB, and 31 other colleges (including Stanford, Cal & UCLA) in fielding a women's team that even our AD could get behind ... sand (aka, beach) volleyball.

This is an "emerging" NCAA sport, which will get championship status when more than 40 schools field a team. Apparently in D-1, the NCAA allows six scholarships over four years, and rules benefit schools that keep sand and indoor volleyball separate.

Got sand?

Waaay more appeal to the casual fan than golf.
03-30-2013 02:12 PM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

(03-30-2013 02:12 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 11:32 AM)Barrett Wrote:  [quote='georgewebb' pid='9174110' dateline='1364660333']
[quote='WRCisforgotten79' pid='9174063' dateline='1364659536']

Women's golf would be the likely first new sport.

Got sand?

Waaay more appeal to the casual fan than golf.

Jones built a white sand volleyball court while I was there in the 90's. We played (what seemed like) every day. Best year--and best tan--of the undergrad four.

Though I do worry about how many of the guys' heads (and slacks) might explode if we added a dozen or so sand volleyball lassies to the Rice ratio...
03-30-2013 02:22 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

Is a sport whose contests are never seen by any fan whatsoever...
... his erroneous statement that there isn't "any fan whatesoever" who watches colleagiate golf, (I do! I enjoyed seeing the Owls compete at SF's Olympic Club a few years back, and a friend on the Duke team down at CordeValle; both PGA/USGA championship courses))

Mike, you got me! And hats off to you for going to see the Owls at Olympic -- a rare and worthy opportunity.
03-30-2013 04:05 PM
Memphis Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl

Got sand?

Beach Volleyball would be a great addition. One could renovate Jake Hess for it. With expected growth, crowds would demand renovation of HRS for Beach Volleyball.
03-30-2013 04:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.