Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More NCAA misconduct in its Miami investigation?
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Might be time to start negotiating Emmert's severance package...

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-bu...aware.html

Quote:The NCAA investigator who took over the University of Miami case last May attempted, as her fired predecessor did, to use Nevin Shapiro’s attorney to help build a case against Miami – a detail curiously omitted from the NCAA-commissioned report detailing the NCAA’s improper handling of the case, according to an email exchange between the parties that was relayed to me by two people.

Meanwhile, UM also will allege that NCAA investigators lied to interview subjects by claiming that other people interviewed made comments they never made, in order to trick the subjects into revealing incriminating information they otherwise might not have, according to multiple officials familiar with the NCAA’s case against UM and former coaches. UM believes such behavior is unethical, and it clearly is.

Both of these details will be included in UM’s motion to dismiss the case that will be submitted to the NCAA on Friday.
03-27-2013 11:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
RE: More NCAA misconduct in its Miami investigation?
Don't the police regularly use the "your buddy said you were doing this" tactic successfully to get confessions out of criminals? Maybe it's just unethical for lawyers to do that, but usually that info stands up in court.
03-27-2013 11:48 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I agree with the OP. It's time to get rid of Emmert...

Of course, the bigger schools could just bypass this altogether and create their own organization...
03-28-2013 08:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
the NCAA pretty much screwed the pooch on this one
03-28-2013 06:51 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(03-27-2013 11:48 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Don't the police regularly use the "your buddy said you were doing this" tactic successfully to get confessions out of criminals? Maybe it's just unethical for lawyers to do that, but usually that info stands up in court.

This is the only tactic that works. It got some UCF coaches to come clean and you don't see any whining about that.
03-28-2013 07:56 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-28-2013 06:51 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  the NCAA pretty much screwed the pooch on this one

You mean screwed the same pooch twice!
03-28-2013 08:09 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(03-28-2013 07:56 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(03-27-2013 11:48 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Don't the police regularly use the "your buddy said you were doing this" tactic successfully to get confessions out of criminals? Maybe it's just unethical for lawyers to do that, but usually that info stands up in court.

This is the only tactic that works. It got some UCF coaches to come clean and you don't see any whining about that.

It is only unethical if the NCAA rules prohibit it. Otherwise it is a widely used investigation technique.
03-28-2013 08:14 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(03-28-2013 08:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-28-2013 06:51 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  the NCAA pretty much screwed the pooch on this one
You mean screwed the same pooch twice!
How else could they justify letting Miami completely off the hook? 03-banghead
03-28-2013 08:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
Does anyone else think the NCAA is deliberately letting Miami (Fla) off the hook? Seems pretty obvious. They think we're idiots. And still nothing moving on the UNC fake classes forged-signatures scandal.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 09:24 PM by billyjack.)
03-28-2013 09:20 PM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
The NCAA is run by a bunch of buffoons.
03-28-2013 09:51 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(03-28-2013 09:20 PM)billyjack Wrote:  Does anyone else think the NCAA is deliberately letting Miami (Fla) off the hook? Seems pretty obvious. They think we're idiots. And still nothing moving on the UNC fake classes forged-signatures scandal.

Funny UCF gets hammered. Unc cheats for 10 years with little punishment. Oregon used runners and they are playing in the NCAA's. The same runners that UCF used were involved with at least Indiana, Boston College, and Xavier. Miami has a near 5 year term of cheating which is so above anything ever witness and nothing so far is done.

I have no problem with hard core tactics by the NCAA if it creates a level playing field. Right now in college sports you have to cheat to win. Almost ever major high school bb star has some form of mentor or runner around.
03-28-2013 09:52 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Nothing to see here move along
03-28-2013 09:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.