03-27-2013 07:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: new bball recruits
Don't know much on these guys.

Heard over the weekend we lost out on Miles Simelton to Leheigh.
03-27-2013 07:41 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Anything has to be an improvement (I hope).
03-27-2013 07:43 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
Is this for 2014-2015? I thought we were our of scholarships for the 2013-2014 season.
03-27-2013 08:27 AM
JB04 Offline
1st String

Both are listed on rivals as 6'4". They graduated high school a couple of years ago (2011 and 2012) so don't have the full four years though, except maybe the younger one.

Lots of offers for Aaric:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/...cU_q3XO5B4
03-27-2013 08:33 AM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
Younger one was fairly highly rated. Better competitng offers than most of our other recruits, so it seems like a good get. Not sure why he went to prep school. Grades?
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 10:25 AM by HuskieJ.)
03-27-2013 08:42 AM
Advertisement

HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
Does that mean Nader is gone, since they have other schollys open?
03-27-2013 08:43 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(03-27-2013 08:27 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Is this for 2014-2015? I thought we were our of scholarships for the 2013-2014 season.
You never know who will be walking out or being pushed out. MM runs the program like the CIA.
03-27-2013 08:44 AM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
2 sets of brothers on the same team? They should all swap uniforms and numbers during our games and confuse the heck out of our opponents so they wouldn't know who they are guarding. Perhaps that is our new strategy to win games.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 08:46 AM by RitzHuskie.)
03-27-2013 08:44 AM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

MM does not "run" the program like the CIA any more than any other D1 school.......again, for those of you who don't really follow college basketball, 40%of ALL D1 players TRANSFER by the end of their sophomore year. NIU's transfer rate is not worse than that average, and, in view of the losing streak of 20+ losses for 7 years, it is amazing the coaches are able to keep the percentage of kids that they do.

More amazing is that a kid with offers from Green Bay and two NCAA tournament teams (Valpo and Colorado St.) and a kid who has already played significant minutes as a frosh at UW Green Bay, could be recruited successfully to come here. These sound legit players who can help turn this thing around.
03-27-2013 09:43 AM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
(03-27-2013 09:43 AM)cagy cager Wrote:  MM does not "run" the program like the CIA any more than any other D1 school.......again, for those of you who don't really follow college basketball, 40%of ALL D1 players TRANSFER by the end of their sophomore year. NIU's transfer rate is not worse than that average, and, in view of the losing streak of 20+ losses for 7 years, it is amazing the coaches are able to keep the percentage of kids that they do.

More amazing is that a kid with offers from Green Bay and two NCAA tournament teams (Valpo and Colorado St.) and a kid who has already played significant minutes as a frosh at UW Green Bay, could be recruited successfully to come here. These sound legit players who can help turn this thing around.

A lot of players that are transferring are going to other D1 schools...we aren't getting many of those.
03-27-2013 10:32 AM
Advertisement

cagy cager Offline
1st String

one could make the case that armstead is transferring from U W Greenbay (via Juco) and we are getting him....what is with the constant Debbie downer attitude? Can't anyone appreciate the efforts the staff is putting in to turn this trainwreck around? It doesn't happen overnight (as St. Novak saw) and to get two quality players like these kids, in spite of their other, higher level offers, I would suggest MM is burning the candle at both ends and doing a helluva job beating the bushes for talent.
03-27-2013 10:54 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Cagy...just curious what your take on Nader's return is? 50/50?
03-27-2013 11:23 AM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(03-27-2013 10:54 AM)cagy cager Wrote:  one could make the case that armstead is transferring from U W Greenbay (via Juco) and we are getting him....what is with the constant Debbie downer attitude? Can't anyone appreciate the efforts the staff is putting in to turn this trainwreck around? It doesn't happen overnight (as St. Novak saw) and to get two quality players like these kids, in spite of their other, higher level offers, I would suggest MM is burning the candle at both ends and doing a helluva job beating the bushes for talent.

Aaric Armstead (Hales), Jerron Wilbut (Downers Grove South), Tim Williams (Homewood-Flossmoor), Brad Foster (Lincoln-Way Central), Darius Paul (Warren), Ka'Darryl Bell (Oak Park) and Fred VanVleet (Rockford Auburn) looked like potential high-major players at the Nike Spring Showdown last weekend, but they'll need to duplicate those performances when college coaches can attend AAU tournaments come July.

A couple of diminutive guards, North Chicago's Aaron Simpson and Young's Derrick Randolph, Lake Forest Academy's Charles Harris, Proviso East's Keith Carter and Hales' Eddie Alcantara round out the best of 2012 from the Chicago area.

Awkward shots: Aaric Armstead is the most athletic player on his team, which is saying something considering he's playing for the talent-rich Mac Irvin Fire after helping lead Hales to the 2A state title in March.

There's only one thing preventing all the big names from offering the 6-5 shooting guard a scholarship — his shot.

While he's a decent outside shooter, the mechanics of his shot — he brings his elbow in near his body and releases directly over his head — worries some coaches.

"It is awkward," Armstead said. "It is how I've been shooting my whole life. My old coaches always asked me about it, but I wanted to stick with what's working. I don't want to mess it up. People come to me wanting me to change, but that's more than a summer's worth of work."

He has nine scholarship offers, with New Mexico the biggest program among them.

Armstead said Gonzaga coach Mark Few jumped into the fray last week, joining other established programs like Marquette and Xavier.

Wisconsin-Green Bay, which signed his older brother, Hales senior Aaron Armstead, appears to be a longshot.

"He tells me, 'See where you fit best at. If u want to come to Green Bay, of course,' but he wants me to find the place that's best for me," Aaric Armstead said.
03-27-2013 11:31 AM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

(03-27-2013 10:54 AM)cagy cager Wrote:  one could make the case that armstead is transferring from U W Greenbay (via Juco) and we are getting him....what is with the constant Debbie downer attitude? Can't anyone appreciate the efforts the staff is putting in to turn this trainwreck around? It doesn't happen overnight (as St. Novak saw) and to get two quality players like these kids, in spite of their other, higher level offers, I would suggest MM is burning the candle at both ends and doing a helluva job beating the bushes for talent.

The good mid-majors are getting transfers from big schools. We're getting transfers from mediocre mid-majors...which I guess is a step above us, but still, hardly going to make a dent on our improvement.
03-27-2013 11:31 AM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

(03-27-2013 11:31 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  

Aaric Armstead (Hales), Jerron Wilbut (Downers Grove South), Tim Williams (Homewood-Flossmoor), Brad Foster (Lincoln-Way Central), Darius Paul (Warren), Ka'Darryl Bell (Oak Park) and Fred VanVleet (Rockford Auburn) looked like potential high-major players at the Nike Spring Showdown last weekend, but they'll need to duplicate those performances when college coaches can attend AAU tournaments come July.

A couple of diminutive guards, North Chicago's Aaron Simpson and Young's Derrick Randolph, Lake Forest Academy's Charles Harris, Proviso East's Keith Carter and Hales' Eddie Alcantara round out the best of 2012 from the Chicago area.

Awkward shots: Aaric Armstead is the most athletic player on his team, which is saying something considering he's playing for the talent-rich Mac Irvin Fire after helping lead Hales to the 2A state title in March.

There's only one thing preventing all the big names from offering the 6-5 shooting guard a scholarship — his shot.

While he's a decent outside shooter, the mechanics of his shot — he brings his elbow in near his body and releases directly over his head — worries some coaches.

"It is awkward," Armstead said. "It is how I've been shooting my whole life. My old coaches always asked me about it, but I wanted to stick with what's working. I don't want to mess it up. People come to me wanting me to change, but that's more than a summer's worth of work."

Armstead said Gonzaga coach Mark Few jumped into the fray last week, joining other established programs like Marquette and Xavier.

Wisconsin-Green Bay, which signed his older brother, Hales senior Aaron Armstead, appears to be a longshot.

"He tells me, 'See where you fit best at. If u want to come to Green Bay, of course,' but he wants me to find the place that's best for me," Aaric Armstead said.

Oh great...we're getting a guy who can't shoot. That'll help.
03-27-2013 11:32 AM
Advertisement

Zao123 Offline
Bench Warmer

Nader is gone - kicked off the team.
03-27-2013 12:35 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2013 12:35 PM)Zao123 Wrote:  Nader is gone - kicked off the team.

Again are these 2 guys for the upcoming season 13-14 or 14-15?

Thought we only have 1 scholarship if Nader leaves...unless some one else is gone, which would not be surprising.

Knowing very little about basketball positions and only looking at the stats it seems that JJ would be the first to be asked to move on. Yes? No?
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 12:52 PM by HuskieJohn.)
03-27-2013 12:41 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-27-2013 12:35 PM)Zao123 Wrote:  Nader is gone - kicked off the team.

Room to bring on someone who is a team player and can help the team.
03-27-2013 12:42 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(03-27-2013 11:32 AM)niusfactuary Wrote:  
(03-27-2013 11:31 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  

Oh great...we're getting a guy who can't shoot. That'll help.

Well they said he's a decent outside shooter. That's probably still better than what we've had lately. I don't care what he looks like when he's shooting if it goes in.
03-27-2013 12:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.