Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Davidson, Delaware, and Northeastern to A10?
JMU Duke Dog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
Davidson, Delaware, and Northeastern to A10?
https://twitter.com/marchenrysports

Delaware and Northeastern had decent seasons but are not traditionally strong basketball programs but I guess they fit geographically. Any truth to this rumor reported by a Newsday writer?

The CAA would have 7 teams remaining:

Charleston
Drexel
Hofstra
James Madison
Towson
UNC-Wilmington
William and Mary
03-26-2013 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
RE: Davidson, Delaware, and Northeastern to A10?
It sounds like the A10 is serious about getting back to 14-16 schools.

Delaware and Northeastern are excellent academic fits which I think is what the A10 is thinking here.

Davidson makes sense because they've made the dance 12 times before and several times in the past decade.
03-26-2013 10:16 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

If this happens James Madison moves with its tail tucked between its legs to the Sun Belt, IMO.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 10:19 AM by Louis Kitton.)
03-26-2013 10:18 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Depends on how far south the A10 wants to go.
03-26-2013 10:22 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
William & Mary get out of that mess and get to the Patriot League please.
03-26-2013 10:26 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
Isn't Delaware in the CAA football conference? What is the point of the CAA sponsoring football if many of its football teams are also A-10 members (which undermines the CAA).

Richmond, Rhode Island and now Delaware?

Northeastern and Davidson sound highly plausible, but I don't get the Delaware deal?
03-26-2013 10:27 AM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
A-10 on the prowl, I like Delaware and Northeastern moves but not davidson. Actually, I might like Boston U more than northeastern even if they just moved to the patriot, maybe even take both. Instead of davidson, i'd probably go for College of charleston if they want to go that far south.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 10:35 AM by bluesox.)
03-26-2013 10:31 AM
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier
Would the A10 start back up a football conference if Delaware made the move?
03-26-2013 10:33 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
(03-26-2013 10:31 AM)bluesox Wrote:  A-10 on the prowl, I like Delaware and Northeastern moves but not davidson. Actually, I might like Boston U more than northeastern even if they just moved to the patriot. Instead of davidson, i'd probably go for College of charleston if they want to go that far south.

Not sure why folks wouldn't like Davidson...for one they may be the best academic institution in the league...secondly they are highly competitive in basketball (the A-10's main sport)...and finally they are located in the Charlotte market (and the only school they share local ties to is Charlotte, which is a state school that serves a different purpose).

IMO, you can't do better than Davidson, they are at the point where they are hosting Duke in Bobcats arena in Downtown Charlotte OOC....great recruiting area, adds another state, a huge market, and an elite academic school...what would be the problem?
03-26-2013 10:36 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(03-26-2013 10:36 AM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 10:31 AM)bluesox Wrote:  A-10 on the prowl, I like Delaware and Northeastern moves but not davidson. Actually, I might like Boston U more than northeastern even if they just moved to the patriot. Instead of davidson, i'd probably go for College of charleston if they want to go that far south.

Not sure why folks wouldn't like Davidson...for one they may be the best academic institution in the league...secondly they are highly competitive in basketball (the A-10's main sport)...and finally they are located in the Charlotte market (and the only school they share local ties to is Charlotte, which is a state school that serves a different purpose).

IMO, you can't do better than Davidson, they are at the point where they are hosting Duke in Bobcats arena in Downtown Charlotte OOC....great recruiting area, adds another state, a huge market, and an elite academic school...what would be the problem?

Maybe more of a question of Davidson wanting to join than the A10 asking Davidson to join. Davidson has it made now as they are virtually guranteed an NCAA bid each year because their conference is terrible.
03-26-2013 11:02 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I can see why the A-10 would want davidson, just not sold on why davidson would want the a-10 until things clear up with all the moves. IF VCU and richmond stick around, than davidson should make the move to the a-10 but they could bolt anytime. Of course, davidson is a $ school and travel isn't a worry, so yeah they probably should jump at an offer to get into a better hoops league. All of this is pretty confusing, guess the caa and southern will have a face off to pick off school's from what's left.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 11:07 AM by bluesox.)
03-26-2013 11:03 AM
Advertisement

AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
(03-26-2013 10:16 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  It sounds like the A10 is serious about getting back to 14-16 schools.

Delaware and Northeastern are excellent academic fits which I think is what the A10 is thinking here.

Davidson makes sense because they've made the dance 12 times before and several times in the past decade.

Davidson doesn't make geographic sense in my view. But they are an excellent school every bit as good and as selective as the other two you mentioned.
03-26-2013 11:04 AM
pzz189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
A-10 fan and have spent a lot of time at NEU...seen a bunch of games at Matthews Arena too. I don't this move though. NEU is a hockey school and just doesn't care enough about its basketball program. Drexel would've been a better add IMHO
03-26-2013 11:07 AM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The only thing accurate in that tweet is that Davidson may end up in the A10 at some point.
03-26-2013 11:56 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Siena makes sense to me. They should be next IMO
03-26-2013 12:18 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(03-26-2013 10:26 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  William & Mary get out of that mess and get to the Patriot League please.

Seems to me the only thing keeping W&M from the patriot is loyalty to the CAA. Maybe they'll stick around long enough for the CAA to rebuild and become stable. I don't see them leaving the CAA with 6 schools.

Also, Isn't UMass still in the A10? I don't see how adding Northeastern really adds anything. Delaware sure. If the A10 adds enough CAA football members, the CAA football conference will become the A10 football conference again.
03-26-2013 12:51 PM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2013 11:03 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I can see why the A-10 would want davidson, just not sold on why davidson would want the a-10 until things clear up with all the moves. IF VCU and richmond stick around, than davidson should make the move to the a-10 but they could bolt anytime. Of course, davidson is a $ school and travel isn't a worry, so yeah they probably should jump at an offer to get into a better hoops league. All of this is pretty confusing, guess the caa and southern will have a face off to pick off school's from what's left.

We know that Davidson was at least considering the CAA last year so there must be some interest on Davidson's part on getting up and out of the Southern Conference. Davidson likes to recruit the northeast for students.

To be honest. I don't think VCU and Richmond are going anywhere and certainly not both VCU and Richmond to the BE. The A10 is pretty stable as they are next best basketball conference in the East to the BE and the new BE should be very stable because where else are those schools going to go without FBS football?
03-26-2013 01:26 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2013 12:51 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 10:26 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  William & Mary get out of that mess and get to the Patriot League please.

Seems to me the only thing keeping W&M from the patriot is loyalty to the CAA. Maybe they'll stick around long enough for the CAA to rebuild and become stable. I don't see them leaving the CAA with 6 schools.

Also, Isn't UMass still in the A10? I don't see how adding Northeastern really adds anything. Delaware sure. If the A10 adds enough CAA football members, the CAA football conference will become the A10 football conference again.

Northeastern would help maximize UMass in the Boston market. This might be a very good move for the A10.

Plus the A10 tournament is in Barclay's Center much closer for Northeastern fans than anything the CAA can pull together for its post season.
03-26-2013 01:28 PM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Northeastern's "fans" don't show up for games on Huntington Avenue. If they can't do that, they aren't going to come to games in Brooklyn. They aren't remotely on the A10's radar. It's Siena to get to 14, or 12 if two teams head to the BE, in 2014.
03-26-2013 01:43 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
(03-26-2013 01:28 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 12:51 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

Northeastern would help maximize UMass in the Boston market. This might be a very good move for the A10.

Plus the A10 tournament is in Barclay's Center much closer for Northeastern fans than anything the CAA can pull together for its post season.

Winning would help maximize UMass in the Boston market and that's it. UMass needs to get back to the tourny in a bad way next year. Northeastern would probably end up being Fordham 2.0.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 02:44 PM by Minutemen429.)
03-26-2013 02:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.