Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We should have never been in the position of having to play with Freshmen
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
We should have never been in the position of having to play with Freshmen
point guards. We should always have someone who is a Junior or Senior to play the point. If Lawton wasn't the guy, we should have been able to find a juco to start for two years and give Hagins and/or Gillon a couple of years to gain experience.

Instead we threw them in there and let them swim. In all fairness, they did a good job in most cases, but there were a number of times where they were in over their heads. Hopefully it bodes well for our future. But next year, they'll still only be Sophomores, so there's probably another year of learning. But it causes us to struggle. Another area we've always been sort of weak is wing shooters. We haven't had many of those 6'5"-6'7" guys who are deadly from the wing. Maybe Isom will fill that role. But with Steve's philosophy, he probably won't get much of a chance this season. Maybe in time, but with the people we have coming back, there's not going to be much room for anyone new, unless we find a real banger or two inside.04-cheers
03-22-2013 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: We should have never been in the position of having to play with Freshmen
(03-22-2013 02:55 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  point guards. We should always have someone who is a Junior or Senior to play the point. If Lawton wasn't the guy, we should have been able to find a juco to start for two years and give Hagins and/or Gillon a couple of years to gain experience.

Instead we threw them in there and let them swim. In all fairness, they did a good job in most cases, but there were a number of times where they were in over their heads. Hopefully it bodes well for our future. But next year, they'll still only be Sophomores, so there's probably another year of learning. But it causes us to struggle. Another area we've always been sort of weak is wing shooters. We haven't had many of those 6'5"-6'7" guys who are deadly from the wing. Maybe Isom will fill that role. But with Steve's philosophy, he probably won't get much of a chance this season. Maybe in time, but with the people we have coming back, there's not going to be much room for anyone new, unless we find a real banger or two inside.04-cheers

Newell beat Notre Dame and should have beat NCST with a freshman point guard. There are plenty of other examples.
03-22-2013 02:58 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Didn't say it was impossible. Just not the best scenario for a winning team. I don't know how many Freshmen point guards will be playing in the sweet sixteen or elite eight, but I would bet most of those teams have upperclassmen running the point.
03-22-2013 03:01 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
One thing to have a freshman guard, another to have only freshman points. That is risky. All things considered, I thought our two (three) guys did an outstanding job this year.
03-22-2013 03:39 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2013 03:39 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  One thing to have a freshman guard, another to have only freshman points. That is risky. All things considered, I thought our two (three) guys did an outstanding job this year.

I was extremely pleased with their play, overall. Couldn't have asked for much more.
03-22-2013 04:31 PM
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

We should never have to play fr pg's but there was no way to start not doing it than to have a fr pg or a 1st year juco.

I am pleased we have committed to 4 year players. We are over the hump and ready to do some winning.
03-23-2013 05:41 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I would have thought we could have found a good juco point guard and have our Freshmen break in more slowly. But it is what it is, and we have several Sophomores to be with point guard experience (Hagins, Gillon and Osse), so things should be set for awhile.
03-23-2013 07:33 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

If players in their 2nd year at D1 make the biggest improvement (except maybe for big men), and I am going to guess that point guards make the biggest jump of all, since they have the most to learn, I am guessing that we take a big step forward just in that one position.
03-23-2013 08:22 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

If that happens, we'll be pretty darn good next year. We need a really good wing shooter who can get his shot off quickly and shoot over the other team's defenders. Isom might just be that player. Isler might have more of a shooting impact next year. He shoots reasonably well from the three point line, and might just take more shots next season.
03-23-2013 09:03 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I really like the skills I saw in Hagins and Gillon. And they were not under a lot of pressure because no one expected much from a freshman-laden team. Get a year of maturity, and who knows how good they could be. And they had better be better, because expectations will be higher.
03-23-2013 10:15 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I recall Joe Kleine saying last year at a speaking engagement that if you recruit a point guard that starts, you just live with his mistakes for awhile, but if he works out, you have a point guard for three more years. Let's hope it works out.
I like Hagins and Gillon, but I just wished we had been able to have a more experienced player for at least two years and then let one of the new kids take over.
03-23-2013 10:18 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Assuming those two stay for four years, and play together for four years, and develop that unspoken coordination that comes with it, can you imagine how good they could be as a tandem? Those are a lot of IFs.
03-23-2013 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.