03-22-2013 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
RE: Big 10 seeks Rice
(03-22-2013 01:02 PM)Owl Movement Wrote:  Northwestern President asks ""Is there a private AAU we can add?"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-to-expand

This requires a competent AD AND President to reach out and call the Northwestern President/AD. Why join an AAU heavy conference when you can play with LaTech, UNT, and UTSA?
03-22-2013 01:19 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Yeah, that's all it takes. Greenspan picks up the phone and conferences the Big 10 Conference commissioner and presidents and says, "I'm making you an offer you can't refuse." All this time, the only reason Rice hasn't gotten the P5 membership it so obviously rates is that Greenspan can't dial a phone. Life is so simple!
03-22-2013 01:24 PM
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(03-22-2013 01:24 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Yeah, that's all it takes. Greenspan picks up the phone and conferences the Big 10 Conference commissioner and presidents and says, "I'm making you an offer you can't refuse." All this time, the only reason Rice hasn't gotten the P5 membership it so obviously rates is that Greenspan can't dial a phone. Life is so simple!

Greenspan was suppose to bring P5 contacts, that was his selling point for the job. Let's see them put to use. Yes, Rice will likely be told no, but has Rice inquired to see what the school would need to do to be considered?

Did you really think Tulane would get into the newBigEastWhatever?
03-22-2013 01:28 PM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
Rice could offer them a early season conference destination...Or a late fall destination if the Big 10 breaks away from the NCAA for baseball.
03-22-2013 01:29 PM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
Is it too late for that sandwich board? Perhaps a few phone calls would be preferred?
03-22-2013 01:31 PM
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I'm sorry, but the title of this post is erroneous and farfetched at best. Rice isn't even mentioned in the article, and Notre Dame is a much more logical choice athletically and geographically for the Big 10, regardless of the fact that the ND to Big 10 horse has been beaten dead many times over.
03-22-2013 01:32 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2013 01:28 PM)WIowl Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 01:24 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Yeah, that's all it takes. Greenspan picks up the phone and conferences the Big 10 Conference commissioner and presidents and says, "I'm making you an offer you can't refuse." All this time, the only reason Rice hasn't gotten the P5 membership it so obviously rates is that Greenspan can't dial a phone. Life is so simple!

Greenspan was suppose to bring P5 contacts, that was his selling point for the job. Let's see them put to use. Yes, Rice will likely be told no, but has Rice inquired to see what the school would need to do to be considered?

Actually, I never thought Tulane would be that stupid. Better them than us!

According to the article, the NW president wants Notre Dame. The article doesn't even mention Rice. And I'm quite sure the NW president already knows Rice exists and is an AAU member.
03-22-2013 01:36 PM
RiceDad Offline
1st String

I Root For:
DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-22-2013 01:19 PM)WIowl Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 01:02 PM)Owl Movement Wrote:  Northwestern President asks ""Is there a private AAU we can add?"

This requires a competent AD AND President to reach out and call the Northwestern President/AD. Why join an AAU heavy conference when you can play with LaTech, UNT, and UTSA?

So you assume both Greenspan and Leebron are incompetent and no action has been taken. Since Rice is otherwise well thought of in the larger universe out there, I think your conclusion is quite a stretch, IMHO!
03-22-2013 01:38 PM
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(03-22-2013 01:32 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  I'm sorry, but the title of this post is erroneous and farfetched at best. Rice isn't even mentioned in the article, and Notre Dame is a much more logical choice athletically and geographically for the Big 10, regardless of the fact that the ND to Big 10 horse has been beaten dead many times over.

I agree that there is likely little to no chance of our entry into the Big10, but ANY response from the AD/President would show that Rice is not happy with the new CUSA and is looking to better itself.
03-22-2013 01:38 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2013 01:38 PM)WIowl Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 01:32 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  I'm sorry, but the title of this post is erroneous and farfetched at best. Rice isn't even mentioned in the article, and Notre Dame is a much more logical choice athletically and geographically for the Big 10, regardless of the fact that the ND to Big 10 horse has been beaten dead many times over.

I agree that there is likely little to no chance of our entry into the Big10, but ANY response from the AD/President would show that Rice is not happy with the new CUSA and is looking to better itself.

An AD should never say something like that. Gives locker room material to every conference opponent in every sport, besides being classless.
03-22-2013 01:42 PM
Advertisement

WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(03-22-2013 01:42 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 01:38 PM)WIowl Wrote:  

An AD should never say something like that. Gives locker room material to every conference opponent in every sport, besides being classless.

Worked for SMU. Worked for UH, they're not making any commitments to the new BigEast.

Forget it. Rice is happy to be in division 1. Period. Wins don't matter. Fans have their heads in the sand, Bruan is great! Williams is great! Carry on.
03-22-2013 01:46 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(03-22-2013 01:38 PM)RiceDad Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 01:19 PM)WIowl Wrote:  

So you assume both Greenspan and Leebron are incompetent and no action has been taken. Since Rice is otherwise well thought of in the larger universe out there, I think your conclusion is quite a stretch, IMHO!

Leebron, not so much. Greenspan, definitely. Baseball aside, Rice is not well thought of in the larger sports universe.

I hope Rice is doing everything and anything we can to make this happen.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 02:16 PM by Antarius.)
03-22-2013 02:02 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
One guy is talking about it...

Quote:Schapiro admits he doesn't lead such Big Ten presidential discussions, but he believes the Association of American Universities -- an "association of 62 leading research universities in the United States and Canada" -- is a crucial criterion.

I assumed the OP was tongue-in-cheek.

03-zzz
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 02:46 PM by Brookes Owl.)
03-22-2013 02:46 PM
07owl Offline
All American

(03-22-2013 01:36 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 01:28 PM)WIowl Wrote:  

Actually, I never thought Tulane would be that stupid. Better them than us!

According to the article, the NW president wants Notre Dame. The article doesn't even mention Rice. And I'm quite sure the NW president already knows Rice exists and is an AAU member.

To be fair, Notre Dame isn't an AAU school (but yes I agree with you)
03-22-2013 04:47 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-22-2013 01:31 PM)13thOwl Wrote:  Is it too late for that sandwich board? Perhaps a few phone calls would be preferred?

Perhaps we can send one Walt's way and send him up to Evanston.
03-22-2013 05:18 PM
Advertisement

Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
(03-22-2013 02:46 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  One guy is talking about it...

Quote:Schapiro admits he doesn't lead such Big Ten presidential discussions, but he believes the Association of American Universities -- an "association of 62 leading research universities in the United States and Canada" -- is a crucial criterion.

So the B10 could add a Canadian school. 03-wink
03-25-2013 01:13 PM
exowlswimmer Offline
2nd String

(03-25-2013 01:13 PM)Caelligh Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 02:46 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  One guy is talking about it...

So the B10 could add a Canadian school. 03-wink

Or we could start a new conference with the AAU leftovers and a big international TV contract. Rice, SUNY Buffalo, Toronto, McGill, Monterrey Tech and BYU. 4 AAU schools, three countries and three timezones. The footprint is still smaller than the WAC 16. About as crazy as Bud Adams starting an AFL franchise or Rice building a 70K football stadium. No upper limit?
03-25-2013 04:12 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(03-25-2013 04:12 PM)exowlswimmer Wrote:  Or we could start a new conference with the AAU leftovers and a big international TV contract. Rice, SUNY Buffalo, Toronto, McGill, Monterrey Tech and BYU. 4 AAU schools, three countries and three timezones. The footprint is still smaller than the WAC 16. About as crazy as Bud Adams starting an AFL franchise or Rice building a 70K football stadium. No upper limit?

If you're willing to put mens' swimming in the queue behind mens' soccer, then sure...
03-25-2013 04:17 PM
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
I am not a Big 10 fan, but were something like this to materialize, it would be a massive step in the right direction.
03-25-2013 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.