Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis-St. Mary's game question
Bookmark and Share
stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Memphis-St. Mary's game question
I want to ask the Memphis fans a question. Why didn't Pastner call timeout after the three pointer went in? They could have drawn up an inbounds play to get the ball to a good free throw shooter and even substituted to make sure the best free throw shooters were in the game. It reminded me of the CUSA championship game when he could have called a timeout and didn't. Has the local media questioned him about it. It is stuff like that IMO that is keeping Pastner from being an even better coach.
03-21-2013 07:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
RE: Memphis-St. Mary's game question
He's in his forth season. He's still learning and still makes mistakes. His game plan for this game was FANTASTIC. Our guys just didn't hit free throws at the end.

Pastner isn't perfect but is a much better x's and o's coach than he's given credit for. 31-4 and 19-0 in conference speaks to this.
03-21-2013 08:11 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Pastner is growing leaps and bounds every year as a coach. Still, he is young and makes mistakes. I'll deal as long as there is improvement. So far so good.
03-21-2013 08:18 PM
egrizzard Offline
What?

I Root For: Memphis!!!
(03-21-2013 07:52 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  I want to ask the Memphis fans a question. Why didn't Pastner call timeout after the three pointer went in? They could have drawn up an inbounds play to get the ball to a good free throw shooter and even substituted to make sure the best free throw shooters were in the game. It reminded me of the CUSA championship game when he could have called a timeout and didn't. Has the local media questioned him about it. It is stuff like that IMO that is keeping Pastner from being an even better coach.

Valid question I think.

I have heard some coaches state that calling timeouts allows you to plan, but it also allows the other coach to counter. These are usually situations that have been covered in practice situations.

I have also heard coaches say this; If your athletes are superior never slow the game down. Let the horses run.
03-21-2013 08:41 PM
stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(03-21-2013 08:11 PM)transitt Wrote:  He's in his forth season. He's still learning and still makes mistakes. His game plan for this game was FANTASTIC. Our guys just didn't hit free throws at the end.

Pastner isn't perfect but is a much better x's and o's coach than he's given credit for. 31-4 and 19-0 in conference speaks to this.

I agree that Pastner is very good at game planning. I was critical of him a few years ago but I do think he is getting better. I just thought he would have learned from the CUSA championship game. I am glad you guys won and will be rooting for you in the next round.
03-21-2013 09:06 PM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-21-2013 07:52 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  I want to ask the Memphis fans a question. Why didn't Pastner call timeout after the three pointer went in? They could have drawn up an inbounds play to get the ball to a good free throw shooter and even substituted to make sure the best free throw shooters were in the game. It reminded me of the CUSA championship game when he could have called a timeout and didn't. Has the local media questioned him about it. It is stuff like that IMO that is keeping Pastner from being an even better coach.

That's kind of amazing that you can ask that question without every other word being showing "*******" on the post. I've seen that question asked on the Memphis board and half the post ends up looking like "**** ***" etc. I didn't realize that you could ask a question about Pastner without half of it being bleeped out.....especially on up to 24 hours after we finish a game.

Now....seriously, we should have done that. We hadn't had trouble getting the ball in all game that I remember, but the safe thing to do in that situation would have been a TO and draw up a safe inbounds process.
03-21-2013 11:27 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
Hey, he finally got a NCAA win. It wasn't pretty, but it was another step for a young coach. I'm excited to see them play Sparty.
03-21-2013 11:29 PM
oldtiger Away

(03-21-2013 11:29 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  Hey, he finally got a NCAA win. It wasn't pretty, but it was another step for a young coach. I'm excited to see them play Sparty.

An ugly win looks awful pretty in the left hand column, especially when it allows you to advance a round. I just wish some of our own fans could realize that.
03-21-2013 11:32 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
I hate I missed the game...was working...but was checking it constantly on my phone. I got MEM in the elite 8.

Pastner is coming into his own...so are the players. We all make mistakes and it's always easy to sit in the recliner and figure it out later.

Talk about a pressure cooker....head coach of MEM basketball is how it's defined at dictionary.com.

He jumped a major hurdle today...they don't ask how, they only ask how many.
03-21-2013 11:40 PM
Advertisement

Freshy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-21-2013 08:41 PM)egrizzard Wrote:  

Valid question I think.

I have heard some coaches state that calling timeouts allows you to plan, but it also allows the other coach to counter. These are usually situations that have been covered in practice situations.

I have also heard coaches say this; If your athletes are superior never slow the game down. Let the horses run.

Memphis has some of the very best athletes in the country, plus they share the ball better than any team we played against this year. It seems like those advantages would favor letting them play as opposed to calling a timeout and risking having the opposing coach scheme around them. Now, if he doesn't call that timeout against Michigan State, I could see being upset.
03-21-2013 11:45 PM
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
Not only did he get his tourney win, it came vs a ranked team. St Mary's was 25th in the this week's coaches poll
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 09:41 AM by transitt.)
03-22-2013 09:40 AM
ballhog Offline
All American

Valid question I think.

Many coaches never call timeouts in this situation. I wouldn't either. The question is why didn't the player inbounding the ball call a timeout when it was obvious that a good outlet was not there.
03-22-2013 09:44 AM
oldtiger Away

(03-21-2013 11:45 PM)Freshy Wrote:  

Valid question I think.

Memphis has some of the very best athletes in the country, plus they share the ball better than any team we played against this year. It seems like those advantages would favor letting them play as opposed to calling a timeout and risking having the opposing coach scheme around them. Now, if he doesn't call that timeout against Michigan State, I could see being upset.

I think that sharing the ball is the most valuable asset this team has, at times even more valuable than having great athletes.

If you're open, you're getting the ball regardless of who you are. It makes the defense play real defense on everyone, which frees up all 5 positions to contribute.
03-22-2013 10:19 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(03-22-2013 10:19 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(03-21-2013 11:45 PM)Freshy Wrote:  

Valid question I think.

I think that sharing the ball is the most valuable asset this team has, at times even more valuable than having great athletes.

If you're open, you're getting the ball regardless of who you are. It makes the defense play real defense on everyone, which frees up all 5 positions to contribute.

I totally agree and posted something very similar in our championship game thread (my analysis of what it would take to beat you guys). Shooting the open jay just makes it easier. If I want to win at anything, I want easy/easier/easiest.

IMO, it is your greatest asset and a testament to the philosophy of Pastner.
03-22-2013 10:32 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-22-2013 10:19 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  Memphis has some of the very best athletes in the country, plus they share the ball better than any team we played against this year.

And if they reduce the shot clock like it has been proposed again.. (and again and again).. I'm gonna start losing interest in college basketball as well because it'll become a run/shoot/back up the court for defense rather than the team game it is at the moment.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 10:54 AM by DaSaintFan.)
03-22-2013 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stinkfist Offline

(03-22-2013 10:54 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 10:19 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  Memphis has some of the very best athletes in the country, plus they share the ball better than any team we played against this year.

And if they reduce the shot clock like it has been proposed again.. (and again and again).. I'm gonna start losing interest in college basketball as well because it'll become a run/shoot/back up the court for defense rather than the team game it is at the moment.

College basketball is perfect just the way it is. Coaching, playing ability (or lack thereof), scheming, drama, ref influence, etc...it is E...all the above. Spot on sir! It is why I go and watch. I love it.

I hated Dean Smith's four corners as much as I love the college rules of today.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 11:11 AM by stinkfist.)
03-22-2013 11:09 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(03-22-2013 09:44 AM)ballhog Wrote:  

Valid question I think.

Many coaches never call timeouts in this situation. I wouldn't either. The question is why didn't the player inbounding the ball call a timeout when it was obvious that a good outlet was not there.

I agree, I think the player should have called the timeout and not force the issue
03-22-2013 04:51 PM
Advertisement

TigerLogic Offline
@MarionTiger

I Root For: The Gringo
There were reports today that he said he was trying to call time out.
03-22-2013 10:02 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB Football
I picked Michigan State over Memphis in my bracket, then felt like an idiot for picking against pretty much the only team I am going for in the tournament so early.

Luckily my bracket is already shot before the game is played so I won't have any conflict of interest on who I am rooting for. GO TIGERS!
03-22-2013 11:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.