Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl Games
Bookmark and Share
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Bowl Games
What is the status of the contracts for MAC Bowl Games and what will realignment do for the opportunities in the future
03-20-2013 07:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Bowl Games
MAC and Sun Belt are signed for the GoDaddy thru the 2017 season.

#3 MAC vs #6 MWC in the Potato bowl. This starts this year.

The MAC has an opportunity with the Military and NO bowl to get an official secondary tie in. With the Military bowl the nBE will likely get the #1 tie in over us.

The B1G are looking to add the Pinstripe and one other down south bowl. The nBE would be a likely candidate as a secondary tie in for the Pizza bowl since they will be losing quite a few bowls to AQ programs.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 08:16 AM by HuskieJohn.)
03-20-2013 08:13 AM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(03-20-2013 08:13 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  The B1G are looking to add the Pinstripe and one other down south bowl. The nBE would be a likely candidate as a secondary tie in for the Pizza bowl since they will be losing quite a few bowls to AQ programs.

It'll be interesting to see the pecking order once the B1G adds those additional bowls...gotta feelin' Pizza will still be last...SMH...if so, might as well make nBE the primary since they will most likely fill it (or a C-USA/SB team).
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 09:30 AM by wleakr.)
03-20-2013 09:29 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(03-20-2013 09:29 AM)wleakr Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 08:13 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  The B1G are looking to add the Pinstripe and one other down south bowl. The nBE would be a likely candidate as a secondary tie in for the Pizza bowl since they will be losing quite a few bowls to AQ programs.

It'll be interesting to see the pecking order once the B1G adds those additional bowls...gotta feelin' Pizza will still be last...SMH...if so, might as well make nBE the primary since they will most likely fill it (or a C-USA/SB team).

Based on what I've been reading the B1G is likely out in Detroit. They are interested in too many other games this go around to stay in the Motor City.

Will the game in Detroit survive? Could they move the bowl game to Indy?
03-20-2013 09:52 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(03-20-2013 08:13 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  MAC and Sun Belt are signed for the GoDaddy thru the 2017 season.

#3 MAC vs #6 MWC in the Potato bowl. This starts this year.

The MAC has an opportunity with the Military and NO bowl to get an official secondary tie in. With the Military bowl the nBE will likely get the #1 tie in over us.

The B1G are looking to add the Pinstripe and one other down south bowl. The nBE would be a likely candidate as a secondary tie in for the Pizza bowl since they will be losing quite a few bowls to AQ programs.

This is not the most accurate bowl news.......03-phew

-The MAC and SBC are signed in Mobile until 2017 however bowls are likely going to be signed on a 6 year cycle (2014-19). This may negate the current agreement.

-The MAC is going to play in the Potato Bowl for 2013. I'm not sure if the MAC will continue in that game beyond 2013 if better opportunities present itself.

-The MAC has secondary agreements in 2013 with the BBVA (Birmingham), New Mexico (Albequerque), Beef O'Brady (Tampa) and Poinsettia (San Diego) for 2013. The Military Bowl is CUSA vs. ACC in 2013 so its definitely out of the picture for the MAC.

http://footballbowlassociation.com/mac/12mac_bowls.pdf

-The B1G is looking to participate in the Pinstripe but also provide bowl eligible schools to the Holiday, Kraft, Muisc City, Belk and Alamo as part of a bowl rotation. I do not see a whole lot of room for the LCPB in the B1G lineup but they've signed on before in the past.
03-20-2013 10:18 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Indy has not shown any interest in a bowl, particularly one that would be lower tier like MACvBE/SBC, et. al.

I would like it. Closer drive and a visit to Shapiro's Deli.
03-21-2013 07:04 AM
Advertisement

TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

I Root For: Wayne Brady
Big 12 eyes bowl games within driving distance

The MAC really needs to get that "St. Louis Bowl" off the ground and get a Big 12 tie-in on the other side. That would really almost be the ideal "driving distance" bowl for the Big 12 and get them back into the state of Missouri.

The linked article mentions Iowa State's trip to the Liberty Bowl last year, so it looks like they are interesting in getting some reasonable "less than primetime" bowl games for the teams not named Texas and Oklahoma. The thinking being that those "top tier" Big 12 teams are covered by the Fiesta Bowl, Champions Bowl, 4 team Playoff, etc.

Bowl games against Iowa State, Kansas, and Kansas State would be great for the MAC.
04-22-2013 07:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(04-22-2013 07:56 PM)TARDledo Wrote:  Big 12 eyes bowl games within driving distance

The MAC really needs to get that "St. Louis Bowl" off the ground and get a Big 12 tie-in on the other side. That would really almost be the ideal "driving distance" bowl for the Big 12 and get them back into the state of Missouri.

The linked article mentions Iowa State's trip to the Liberty Bowl last year, so it looks like they are interesting in getting some reasonable "less than primetime" bowl games for the teams not named Texas and Oklahoma. The thinking being that those "top tier" Big 12 teams are covered by the Fiesta Bowl, Champions Bowl, 4 team Playoff, etc.

Bowl games against Iowa State, Kansas, and Kansas State would be great for the MAC.

This article states that STL Sports Commission's preference for future sporting events are:

1. Mizzou-Illinois football
2. Mizzou/Illinois football against someone else
3. Kickoff Classic game
4. Bowl game

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/stl...c2502.html

With the pending lease situation with the Rams and the Edward Jones Dome, there's talk of a new stadium that'll be going up later this decade. In that case, I think they'd go after more high-profile events like another Final Four or Frozen Four again over a minor bowl game, though the EJD is still going to be there I guess. I personally think it's high time that St. Louis has had a bowl game, it would surely beat going to Boise. Would potentially be a great fit down the line if we were to get Missouri State and stAte in the MAC as far as location goes (along with NIU for that matter). However, I don't know if they would hold sour grapes over the fact Mizzou left...
04-22-2013 08:53 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

Cool article.

I think a MAC #1/2/3 vs Big 12 (probably #6/7/8) could be realistic. Hell, they seem to be starving for college football, I mean, Southern Illinois-Carbondale vs SEMO...really?

I think it'd be a great fit now and not just down the line. The MAC needs to find a sponsor and schedule a conference call with the STL Sports Commission.

If I were the MAC, I'd commit the MAC Champ to St. Louis if the bowl could guarantee a Big 12 team even if the Big Ten stays in Detroit. It looks like the Big Ten will be dropping the Detroit Bowl, but they never play in it anyway, they keep dropping it down their priority list. What's it at now? Big Ten 8/9...screw that.
04-22-2013 09:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
MAC Champ vs. big12, 3 or 4 would be competitive. NIU was in the Orange Bowl...even KENT State would have been at about the level of the big12's 3rd or 4th team last season.
04-22-2013 09:25 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

#MACtion vs Big 12

Possible scores could be well over 100+ combined points.
04-22-2013 09:27 PM
Advertisement

TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

(04-22-2013 09:25 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  MAC Champ vs. big12, 3 or 4 would be competitive. NIU was in the Orange Bowl...even KENT State would have been at about the level of the big12's 3rd or 4th team last season.

I doubt the Big 12 would commit #3/4 but I don't disagree with your premise. Besides, if they send #6/7/8 the MAC Champ would have a great chance to punctuate the season with a resounding notice to all of college football.
04-22-2013 09:31 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(04-22-2013 09:31 PM)TARDledo Wrote:  
(04-22-2013 09:25 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  MAC Champ vs. big12, 3 or 4 would be competitive. NIU was in the Orange Bowl...even KENT State would have been at about the level of the big12's 3rd or 4th team last season.

I doubt the Big 12 would commit #3/4 but I don't disagree with your premise. Besides, if they send #6/7/8 the MAC Champ would have a great chance to punctuate the season with a resounding notice to all of college football.

No BC$ conference would 'lower themselves' by having their 3-4-5, maybe even 6, seed play a MAC/CUSA/Sun Belt school. F*** 'em!
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 09:51 PM by MidnightBlueGold.)
04-22-2013 09:51 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(04-22-2013 09:21 PM)TARDledo Wrote:  Cool article.

I think a MAC #1/2/3 vs Big 12 (probably #6/7/8) could be realistic. Hell, they seem to be starving for college football, I mean, Southern Illinois-Carbondale vs SEMO...really?

I think it'd be a great fit now and not just down the line. The MAC needs to find a sponsor and schedule a conference call with the STL Sports Commission.

If I were the MAC, I'd commit the MAC Champ to St. Louis if the bowl could guarantee a Big 12 team even if the Big Ten stays in Detroit. It looks like the Big Ten will be dropping the Detroit Bowl, but they never play in it anyway, they keep dropping it down their priority list. What's it at now? Big Ten 8/9...screw that.

I agree with your assessment of the situation in general for sure. From what I think of it, I don't think the SEMO-SIUC game is really intended to be much of an event. Sure, it'll bring some alumni from Cape Girardeau and Carbondale while pumping some cash into downtown (and potentially hurting the fall grass for the Cardinals), though I see it more as a test run for big events and the idea that any event helps. They've got Chelsea FC vs. Man City coming up at Busch, so it's a sign that they definitely want to market sporting events on a big scale.
04-22-2013 10:06 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
With the bowl environment as exists where the maximum amount of games certified are played the MAC just doesn't have the space anymore to create a new bowl for itself.

What is more likely because of the conditions is for the MAC to back its way into a couple of existing bowl games that are vacated by other conferences. A lot of it is going to have to do with the hierarchy of the MAC in the new system.

Old non-AQ system
7) Mountain West
8) Conference USA
9) Western Athletic
10) Mid American
11) Sun Belt

New G5 system
6) American Athletic
7) Mountain West
8) Mid American
9) Conference USA
10) Sun Belt

-While the BE has fallen from the big boys, many of the big boys will have to play the AAC in bowls as its the 6th best conference.

-The new CUSA and SBC are pretty equivalent in strength moving forward. With all the FCS upgrades neither league is in a position to sign very many bowls right now.

-The AAC may mostly consist of former CUSA schools yet they are looking to trade up so games that CUSA would take like the Hawaii Bowl end up left open for the MAC.

Things are getting to the point where you just can't deny the MAC a 4th bowl game anymore, IMO
04-22-2013 10:35 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(04-22-2013 10:35 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  With the bowl environment as exists where the maximum amount of games certified are played the MAC just doesn't have the space anymore to create a new bowl for itself.

What is more likely because of the conditions is for the MAC to back its way into a couple of existing bowl games that are vacated by other conferences. A lot of it is going to have to do with the hierarchy of the MAC in the new system.

Old non-AQ system
7) Mountain West
8) Conference USA
9) Western Athletic
10) Mid American
11) Sun Belt

New G5 system
6) American Athletic
7) Mountain West
8) Mid American
9) Conference USA
10) Sun Belt

-While the BE has fallen from the big boys, many of the big boys will have to play the AAC in bowls as its the 6th best conference.

-The new CUSA and SBC are pretty equivalent in strength moving forward. With all the FCS upgrades neither league is in a position to sign very many bowls right now.

-The AAC may mostly consist of former CUSA schools yet they are looking to trade up so games that CUSA would take like the Hawaii Bowl end up left open for the MAC.

Things are getting to the point where you just can't deny the MAC a 4th bowl game anymore, IMO

How many screen names do you have now????
04-22-2013 11:01 PM
Advertisement

exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Kit Cat returns??
04-23-2013 09:42 AM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

(03-20-2013 07:26 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  What is the status of the contracts for MAC Bowl Games and what will realignment do for the opportunities in the future

From what I've been able to ascertain this is what the bowl picture looks like for the five non-contract conferences. Underline signifies a "lock" of a tie-in.

1. GoDaddy: MAC vs SBC
I expect the MAC to keep this bowl as the defacto anchor conference. The SBC likely keeps it too with South Alabama now being FBS and in the SBC, but neither is a lock. EDIT: There's still nothing "official" but a lot of mentions that this will continue to be a MAC vs SBC bowl, so we'll just go ahead and call it.
2. Little Caesars: MAC vs ?
If the Bowl committee can keep this bowl alive and in Detroit, I expect the MAC to keep the tie-in but the other side is open. A respected poster from an SBC team has stated here that he doesn't think that the SBC would sign on permanently to a bowl in Detroit, but as I'll try to show here the pickings will be very slim and they may have to try to secure it just to stay at two tie-ins. If this moves to Little Rock, I expect the SBC to have a tie-in. Early reports speculated that the CUSA would get a tie-in but if the bowl ends up "using" the LCPB's certification I expect the MAC to keep it, but nothing is written in stone.
3. Boise: MWC vs MAC
This bowl is back under the MWC's control after being in the WAC despite Boise State being in the MWC. If this bowl sticks around it stays a MWC bowl with the MAC probably keeping the the tie-in. The SBC could make a play for it since Idaho will join the conference in 2014, but I expect that if the MAC wants it (and they are in no position to not want it) they will end up keeping it. EDIT: There's still nothing "official" but a lot of mentions that this will continue to be a MAC vs MWC bowl, so we'll just go ahead and call it.
4. BBVA Compass: AAC vs SEC
This looks like a former Big East bowl that nobody wants so the new AAC will end up keeping. It also looks like the SEC will keep a very low pick in here, probably 8/9/10.
5. St. Pete: AAC vs CUSA/ACC
This is another former Big East bowl that nobody wants and that wil likely stay with the new AAC. CUSA likely stays on the other side. Edit: Report that this will be AAC vs 3 years CUSA/3years ACC.
6. Military: ACC vs AAC
CUSA signed on for this year but not expected to keep it after that. The ACC looks to be keeping this and sending their #8. Rumors are that the Big Ten could end up here but a very strong possibility is the AAC, especially with the game moving to Annapolis and Navy scheduled to join the AAC in 2015. Edit: Despite rumors of the Big Ten landing here, reports now confirm that I was correct in thinking that the AAC would end up here.
7. New Orleans: AAC vs CUSA
Bowl is currently CUSA vs SBC and I expect it to stay that way, sort of. Old "CUSA" is the new AAC and the half of the old "SBC" is the new CUSA. There are rumors that the AAC is looking to nab this bowl, and I think they get it since the people with the money behind the bowl have New Orleans ties and Tulane will be in the AAC. I think CUSA gets the other side over the SBC because of Southern Miss, LA Tech, and previous working relationship with the CUSA office. The MAC could - and SHOULD - angle to try to make this a AAC vs MAC game.
8. Liberty: Big 12 vs SEC
Edit: The Big 12 seems to have locked this bowl up, probably due to Iowa State's documented good experience last year. Rumors are that this could be a low SEC vs a low Big 12. There are also rumors that the AAC gets it vs Big12. EDIT: It been "confirmed" that this will be a B12 vs SEC game, as I've said all along. Sorry Attackcoog/AAC guys, don't kill the messenger. The writing was on the wall.
9. Heart of Dallas: Big 12 vs ?
It's being reported that this could stay a Big 12 vs Big Ten bowl but with the CUSA owning part of the bowl, they look to keep some sort of tie to it. Edit: AttackCoog from here posted below that some rumors have this as a CUSA bowl with the other tie-in rotating between the Big 12 and Big Ten. I'm not sure if this will fly with the Big 12 or Big Ten. Edit2: The same report that confirmed the Liberty Bowl for the Big 12 confirmed the HOD but didn't mention if that tie-in would be shared with the Big Ten. I still think this will end up B12 vs Big Ten. Edit3: Something less than official is reporting that it is a rotating B12 tie-in. I just can't see the Big Ten having an official tie-in (even a rotating one) with CUSA. I could see CUSA serving as a backup to the Big Ten to play the Big12. The Big Ten has made it clear (and maybe it slipped publicly) that they only want to contract to play other "contract conferences" in bowl play. If the Big Ten backs out of the LCB only to end up contracted to play CUSA some years in Dallas, the MAC should boycott the Big Ten. MAC teams travel to OOC games anyway, might as well play ACC or Big12 teams. SCREW the big ten.
10. Armed Forces: MWC vs ?Big Ten/CUSA?
It's possible that the MWC keeps this bowl but nothing has been confirmed. This could be MWC vs AAC, CUSA, MAC, or SBC. It could be MWC vs BYU and/or Army. It could be open. EDIT: Reports that this will be a MWC vs CUSA bowl but there are rumors that the Big Ten will have a shared tie to this is some fashion.
11. Vegas: MWC vs Pac-12
This will be a MWC game. It looks like the MWC #1 will face the Pac-12 #6 here (down from #5 previously). EDIT: Reports that the MWC doesn't have to send its Champ here.
12. Poinsettia: MWC vs Navy (2014) - BYU/Army
This will be the MWC #2 game. I could see this keeping a "rotation" between BYU, Army, and maybe Navy alone or as part of a rotating tie-in with the AAC to give Navy access. EDIT: Reports that Navy in 2014 and BYU and Army have ties to this bowl for 2015-19, no further details.
13. Hawaii: MWC vs AAC/CUSA
This will be a MWC game, Hawaii when its eligible vs either AAC or CUSA. It could be open for the MAC to bid on it but I only see that if things get really desperate. BYU could rotate in here, maybe Army. EDIT: Report that this will be MWC vs AAC/CUSA. It's unclear whether it is one or the other or a shared tie.
14. New Mexico: MWC vs CUSA
This will be a MWC game. Right now, it looks like the Pac-12 #8 (down from #7 previously) will be the other tie-in but that could change. It's being reported that the PAC's #8 bowl is not definite yet and it could end up not being the NM bowl. Could be open. EDIT: Latest reports are that the Pac-12 will likely be leaving the NM Bowl. EDIT2: Reports are that this will have a CUSA team.
15. AdvoCare Bowl: ? vs ?
Reports have this bowl as a possible bowl for the ACC, Big 12, and SEC. It's possible that two of the three or all three in some rotating agreement play in this but it is almost listed as an afterthought on all of the reported potential lists that it wouldn't surprise me if none sign on and it is completely open. Edit: The report that announced the complete B12 bowl lineup did not list this bowl. I think the chances that this game is open and available got better. Edit2: The "final" ACC bowl lineup didn't list this bowl either. I think chances of landing this bowl just increased some more. The MAC should work this bowl very hard to secure a primary spot.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 03:02 PM by TARDledo.)
05-24-2013 11:57 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-24-2013 11:57 AM)TARDledo Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 07:26 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  What is the status of the contracts for MAC Bowl Games and what will realignment do for the opportunities in the future

From what I've been able to ascertain this is what the bowl picture looks like for the five non-contract conferences. Underline signifies a "lock" of a tie-in.

1. GoDaddy: MAC vs SBC
I expect the MAC to keep this bowl as the defacto anchor conference. The SBC likely keeps it too with South Alabama now being FBS and in the SBC, but neither is a lock.
2. Little Caesars: MAC vs ?
If the Bowl committee can keep this bowl alive and in Detroit, I expect the MAC to keep the tie-in but the other side is open. A respected poster from an SBC team has stated here that he doesn't think that the SBC would sign on permanently to a bowl in Detroit, but as I'll try to show here the pickings will be very slim and they may have to try to secure it just to stay at two tie-ins. If this moves to Little Rock, I expect the SBC to have a tie-in. Early reports speculated that the CUSA would get a tie-in but if the bowl ends up "using" the LCPB's certification I expect the MAC to keep it, but nothing is written in stone.
3. Boise: MWC vs MAC
This bowl is back under the MWC's control after being in the WAC despite Boise State being in the MWC. If this bowl sticks around it stays a MWC bowl with the MAC probably keeping the the tie-in. The SBC could make a play for it since Idaho will join the conference in 2014, but I expect that if the MAC wants it (and they are in no position to not want it) they will end up keeping it.
4. BBVA Compass: AAC vs SEC
This looks like a former Big East bowl that nobody wants so the new AAC will end up keeping. It also looks like the SEC will keep a very low pick in here, probably 8/9/10.
5. St. Pete: AAC vs CUSA
This is another former Big East bowl that nobody wants and that wil likely stay with the new AAC. CUSA likely stays on the other side.
6. Military: ACC vs ?
CUSA signed on for this year but not expected to keep it after that. The ACC looks to be keeping this and sending their #8. Rumors are that the Big Ten could end up here but a very strong possibility is the AAC, especially with the game moving to Annapolis and Navy scheduled to join the AAC in 2015. The MAC could - and SHOULD - angle to try to make this a ACC vs MAC game.
7. New Orleans: AAC vs CUSA
Bowl is currently CUSA vs SBC and I expect it to stay that way, sort of. Old "CUSA" is the new AAC and the half of the old "SBC" is the new CUSA. There are rumors that the AAC is looking to nab this bowl, and I think they get it since the people with the money behind the bowl have New Orleans ties and Tulane will be in the AAC. I think CUSA gets the other side over the SBC because of Southern Miss, LA Tech, and previous working relationship with the CUSA office. The MAC could - and SHOULD - angle to try to make this a AAC vs MAC game.
8. Liberty: ? vs ?
Rumors are that this could be a low SEC vs a low Big 12. There are also rumors that the AAC gets it vs SEC or even that CUSA makes a play to keep it but if they do I think it only happens because both SEC and Big 12 drop it and it becomes a AAC vs CUSA. AAC vs MWC could be a possibility if the two MWC vs Pac-12 games get dropped in the Pac-12 picking order. The MAC could angle to try to make this a AAC vs MAC game, if the SEC backs out.
9. Heart of Dallas: ? vs ?
It's being reported that this could stay a Big 12 vs Big Ten bowl but with the CUSA owning part of the bowl, they look to keep some sort of tie to it. I don't think this will fly with the Big 12 or Big Ten, which is why I expect to hear rumors (if they haven't been leaked already) of the Armed Forces Bowl possibly being the North Texas Big 12 vs Big Ten game. That would leave the HOD as likely a CUSA game vs AAC, MWC, SBC, or MAC. Could be open. The MAC could - and SHOULD - angle to try to make this a CUSA vs MAC game, if the B12 and Big Ten back out.
10. Armed Forces: ? vs ?
Possible that the MWC keeps this bowl but its looking like it could replace the HOD bowl as the Big 12 vs Big Ten game as I wrote above. It makes sense because I don't think that the Big 12 and Big Ten are looking to share a bowl with CUSA, plus it's played at TCU's stadium who is now in the Big 12. If HOD stays B12 vs Big Ten, then this would likely be MWC vs AAC, CUSA, MAC, or SBC. Could be open. The MAC could - and SHOULD - angle to try to make this a MWC vs MAC game, if the B12 and Big Ten stay in the HOD.
11. Vegas: MWC vs ?
This will be a MWC game. It looks like the MWC Champ will face the Pac-12 #6 here.
12. Poinsettia: MWC vs ?
This will be a MWC game. I could see this keeping a "rotation" between BYU, Army, and maybe Navy alone or as part of a rotating tie-in with the AAC.
13. Hawaii: MWC vs ?
This will be a MWC game, Hawaii when its eligible vs either AAC or CUSA. It could be open for the MAC to bid on it but I only see that if things get really desperate. BYU could rotate in here, maybe Army.
14. New Mexico: MWC vs ?
This will be a MWC game. Right now, it looks like the Pac-12 #8 will be the other tie-in but that could change. It's being reported that the PAC's #8 bowl is not definite yet and it could end up not being the NM bowl. Could be open. The MAC could angle to try to make this a MWC vs MAC game, if the Pac-12 backs out or to replace the Boise Bowl if they decide to discontinue that one.

FWIW--the rumor Ive heard on the Heart of Dallas Bowl is that the Big-12 and Big-10 will rotate as CUSA opponents. CUSA commissioner Britton Banowsky is the chairman for the Heart of Dallas Charity which owns the game. This was a out of the box way of obtaining a solid #1 bowl for CUSA. You can underline CUSA in the HOD Bowl. The only question is the opponent.

Theres supposedly a very strong relationship between the Sunbelt and the New Orleans Bowl. The Sunbelt was instrumental in its creation and the Sunbelt offices are moving into the Superdome. I think you can probably underline the Sunbelt for a slot in the NO Bowl.

Personally, I think the AAC is a lock for the Military Bowl with its move to Annapolis. Beyond that---I have no idea what the AAC will get--buts its not looking like they will get anything worth having. I think they have a shot at the Liberty, but Im setting the odds at about 50-50 on the Liberty. Nothing has gone the AAC's way so far and thier leadership seems to be kinda like a babe in the woods---so Im not willing to place a bet on the leadership pulling off much of anything right now. I do think the MAC will pick up another bowl somewhere---just not sure where--dont be surprised if it outmanuevers the AAC for one. Aresco is new to this and I think that may be hurting the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 08:49 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-24-2013 08:45 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

(05-24-2013 08:45 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  FWIW--the rumor Ive heard on the Heart of Dallas Bowl is that the Big-12 and Big-10 will rotate as CUSA opponents. CUSA commissioner Britton Banowsky is the chairman for the Heart of Dallas Charity which owns the game. This was a out of the box way of obtaining a solid #1 bowl for CUSA. You can underline CUSA in the HOD Bowl. The only question is the opponent.

Theres supposedly a very strong relationship between the Sunbelt and the New Orleans Bowl. The Sunbelt was instrumental in its creation and the Sunbelt offices are moving into the Superdome. I think you can probably underline the Sunbelt for a slot in the NO Bowl.

Personally, I think the AAC is a lock for the Military Bowl. Beyond that---I have no idea what they will get--buts its not looking like they will get anything worth having. I think they have a shot at the Liberty, but Im setting the odds at about 50-50 on the Liberty. Nothing has gone the AAC's way so far and thier leadership seems to be kinda like a babe in the woods---so Im not willing to place a bet on the leadership pulling off much of anything right now. I do think the MAC will pick up another bowl somewhere---just not sure where.

Thanks for the head up on the HOD bowl. Have you heard any of the rumors that the Big Ten and Big 12 are looking at the Armed Forces as a way to keep a Dallas area bowl to themselves without having to share with CUSA?

Sun Belters seem to think that the have a strong hold on the New Orleans as well, so maybe there is something to that. If they do keep it, do you think the AAC will go after it as is rumored or do you think CUSA keeps it?

I'm with you on the Military Bowl. That's why I wrote that the AAC is a "very strong possibility" for it, but it's hard to ignore the Big Ten when they are putting it out there that they have an interest or strong interest in that bowl. As a MAC fan, I'm familiar with the bullying capabilities of Delany and the Big Ten.
05-24-2013 08:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.