Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Utter disappointment
Bookmark and Share
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Utter disappointment
Caught numerous games from a variety of conferences, from some first-round games to quarters to semifinals to championships ... without question, the worst was the MAC Championship.
Other games hinged on clutch shooting, big defensive plays, ice-cold free throw shooters, fundamental rebounding -- MAC title has can't hit the broad side of a barn Ohio and stone-fingered touch at the charity stripe by both teams (Ohio shoots 9-of-14 / .643 at the line while Akron hits 16-of-25 / .640).
What could possibly be a bigger disappointment?
Northern Illinois.
Huskies rated near the bottom of the MAC in free throw shooting (.653) and rank dead last in eight of 19 stat categories. MAC basketball has sunk to new levels of low and is on the verge of going from a one-team for the NCAA field to being in the running for a 16 seed.
And we're one of -- if not -- the worst teams in this league.

Northwestern fires a coach who has the worst facilities in his league, numerous injuries, and some of the strictest academic standards to hinder his recruiting. Buffalo fires a guy who had seven winning seasons in 14 years including four 20-win seasons. Ball State dumps its coach after a 15-15 campaign who has an 84-99 record in six seasons even though he took over a program fresh off a school-record 22-loss year.

Northern Illinois just endured a seventh consecutive 20-loss season.
Even the most optimistic poster on this board (niu2222) can't possibly think we're anywhere near an NCAA berth, a West Division title, or even a .500 record.
Once upon a time, I lived for basketball season and the NCAA tournament, and now ... especially after what I've seen?
Utter disappointment.
03-16-2013 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
RE: Utter disappointment
(03-16-2013 08:06 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Caught numerous games from a variety of conferences, from some first-round games to quarters to semifinals to championships ... without question, the worst was the MAC Championship.
Other games hinged on clutch shooting, big defensive plays, ice-cold free throw shooters, fundamental rebounding -- MAC title has can't hit the broad side of a barn Ohio and stone-fingered touch at the charity stripe by both teams (Ohio shoots 9-of-14 / .643 at the line while Akron hits 16-of-25 / .640).
What could possibly be a bigger disappointment?
Northern Illinois.
Huskies rated near the bottom of the MAC in free throw shooting (.653) and rank dead last in eight of 19 stat categories. MAC basketball has sunk to new levels of low and is on the verge of going from a one-team for the NCAA field to being in the running for a 16 seed.
And we're one of -- if not -- the worst teams in this league.

Northwestern fires a coach who has the worst facilities in his league, numerous injuries, and some of the strictest academic standards to hinder his recruiting. Buffalo fires a guy who had seven winning seasons in 14 years including four 20-win seasons. Ball State dumps its coach after a 15-15 campaign who has an 84-99 record in six seasons even though he took over a program fresh off a school-record 22-loss year.

Northern Illinois just endured a seventh consecutive 20-loss season.
Even the most optimistic poster on this board (niu2222) can't possibly think we're anywhere near an NCAA berth, a West Division title, or even a .500 record.
Once upon a time, I lived for basketball season and the NCAA tournament, and now ... especially after what I've seen?
Utter disappointment.

Akron will not be a #16 seed. They deserve props for beating Ohio after losing their PG. Akron is a good team; don't be surprised if they pull an upset in the Dance.
03-16-2013 08:55 PM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
Lol, what are you talking about uiniu? Before a couple losses due to losing their pg, Akron had the longest win streak in the nation, and was likely an at large team for the tourney.
03-16-2013 10:22 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-16-2013 10:22 PM)niusfactuary Wrote:  Lol, what are you talking about uiniu? Before a couple losses due to losing their pg, Akron had the longest win streak in the nation, and was likely an at large team for the tourney.

Yep. Even after losing to Miami and Buffalo their RPI is 47 and their BPI is 51. They lost in overtime to Oklahoma State and beat Middle Tennessee. Akron was a very good team with their PG. Ohio ranks #1 in the country for assists per game and is ranked in the top 75...they're not awful by any means.
03-17-2013 11:20 AM
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
Can you imagine being the coach or fan of Akron. You wait your whole life to make a deep run into the tournament and you point guard gets caught buying five pounds days before the playoffs.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 11:52 AM by NIU75.)
03-17-2013 11:51 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(03-16-2013 10:22 PM)niusfactuary Wrote:  Lol, what are you talking about uiniu? Before a couple losses due to losing their pg, Akron had the longest win streak in the nation, and was likely an at large team for the tourney.

Key word was. IF Ohio had somehow beaten the Zips, Akron would not have made the NCAA field. Look at the talent and depth of programs being discussed as last-in, first-out candidates: defending national champion Alabama, Ole Miss, Virgina, Maryland, a Middle Tennessee State squad that also dominated a weak conference. Against that backdrop, it's hard to imagine the committee giving the MAC two berths.

Perhaps I overstated things immediately after watching what was one of sloppiest title games of the day, but as good a job as Dambrot has done, that program will be labeled as a Cinderella or David if the Zips manage a first-round win. In the end, the greatest source of frustration in that post was considering the chasm between Northern Illinois and earning an NCAA berth is starting to resemble the Grand Canyon.
03-17-2013 12:35 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
Akron is a 12 seed.
03-17-2013 05:20 PM
niucyberdawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
12 seed or weed?
03-18-2013 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.