Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PAC 12 Commish talks bowl ticket distribution and no need for expansion
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
PAC 12 Commish talks bowl ticket distribution and no need for expansion
Excerpt:

The league is taking a progressive look at how to distribute tickets for bowl games. Scott is intrigued by the idea of two conferences and a bowl partnering in ticket distribution and moving from the dated model of schools selling their own allotment, which was a struggle for several BCS schools last season.

“It's become clear fans have a lot of options when it comes to sourcing tickets,” Scott said. “The idea an individual school is responsible and can be accountable for delivering their fans to a particular bowl I think is a bit of an anachronism.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...membership
03-13-2013 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: PAC 12 Commish talks bowl ticket distribution and no need for expansion
I am glad they are not interested in expansion. There aren't any good options left for them now... at least in their minds.
03-13-2013 09:46 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Well, Scott is obviously lying. After all, previous conference commissioners have lied before about expansion so naturally he must be too.

Or does that concept only go one way?
03-13-2013 10:43 AM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
Since the kooks don't care about the PAC12 they don't even know he spoke.
03-13-2013 11:01 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
I was interested in his remarks about bowl ticket distribution. Schools get raked over the coals if they don't sell their allotment and currently the bowls make the allotment part of the deal. Schools then do not profit or even break even because they are stuck with a boat load of high priced tickets.

Most fans nowadays are smart enough to look for better deals on-line and don't necessarily buy the more expensive tickets the schools are stuck with. Especially difficult for schools located a long ways from the destination.

Scott apparently believes, and I agree with him, that a different approach needs to be taken. Just take the allotment system out of the equation entirely and make the bowls do the marketing.
03-13-2013 11:09 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
The problem is that not only are the schools stuck selling thousands of tickets, many of those are bad seats and better seats can be bought directly from the bowls themselves. Then when the school returns the unsold allotment (that they paid for), the bowl turns around and often sells those tickets themselves (and thus gets 2x the revenue for the same ticket). Most conferences steer some extra money to the bowl participants to cover the unsold tickets, but it's quite the racket for the bowls. It's good to see a major conference leading the charge against the existing ticket sales model.
03-13-2013 11:29 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(03-13-2013 11:29 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  The problem is that not only are the schools stuck selling thousands of tickets, many of those are bad seats and better seats can be bought directly from the bowls themselves. Then when the school returns the unsold allotment (that they paid for), the bowl turns around and often sells those tickets themselves (and thus gets 2x the revenue for the same ticket). Most conferences steer some extra money to the bowl participants to cover the unsold tickets, but it's quite the racket for the bowls. It's good to see a major conference leading the charge against the existing ticket sales model.

Bowls could quash much of the StubHub market by not giving out tickets early to bowl sponsors and bowl executives/employees, but the scammers who run bowl games aren't going to do that because they don't want to stop ripping off participating teams.
03-13-2013 12:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.