http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ItCcz0khb4
03-12-2013 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

niu2222 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
RE: Dontel Highsmith Video
As much as we need guys with talent, we need a leader. The kid has already been here several times. He has that it factor that people gravitate to. He will be the leader of this team from day one.
03-12-2013 03:14 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2013 03:14 PM)niu2222 Wrote:  As much as we need guys with talent, we need a leader. The kid has already been here several times. He has that it factor that people gravitate to. He will be the leader of this team from day one.

and it seems that he is good with passing the ball.
03-12-2013 03:19 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(03-12-2013 03:14 PM)niu2222 Wrote:  As much as we need guys with talent, we need a leader. The kid has already been here several times. He has that it factor that people gravitate to. He will be the leader of this team from day one.

I wouldn't anoint him a leader just yet. Just making the transition from high school to college basketball is daunting enough, and many don't do so well in that area. Just witness our current players. It Highsmith can make that transition, then perhaps he can be a leader. First, I would like to see someone who can shoot the ball and get it through the hoop. If he can consistently do that, maybe the rest of our team can see what that's like and learn a little from it.

I truly believe that the rest of the team are good kids, but there is a lack of shooting talent. Not sure if that talent can be learned where all of of a sudden they become good shooters.
03-12-2013 03:24 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(03-12-2013 03:24 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

I wouldn't anoint him a leader just yet. Just making the transition from high school to college basketball is daunting enough, and many don't do so well in that area. Just witness our current players. It Highsmith can make that transition, then perhaps he can be a leader. First, I would like to see someone who can shoot the ball and get it through the hoop. If he can consistently do that, maybe the rest of our team can see what that's like and learn a little from it.

I truly believe that the rest of the team are good kids, but there is a lack of shooting talent. Not sure if that talent can be learned where all of of a sudden they become good shooters.

I wonder though, did they have a higher shooting percentage in high school, most of them? To be more specific, when they had open shots did they make more of them than they have in college (I know there's no stats for that). If so, we have a question of confidence/mental attitude rather than talent. That's something the coach needs to help with. Sorry, getting off topic here. Sounds like Highsmith can be the guy we need, we just need to have an environment around him that helps him utilize his talents.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 03:45 PM by NIU007.)
03-12-2013 03:43 PM
niu2222 Offline
Special Teams

They dont have to learn how to shoot. They lack confidence with their shot. Bolin, Christian and Cravatta are jump shooters. They can improve with confidence. The other guys need to be able to get to the basket because they arent good shooters. Confidence with athletes is a very powerful thing. As fans, I understand that there is no reason to think anything will change. Highsmith will get to play with many guys who have played college ball. This years freshman did not have that luxury. I believe it will make a difference.
03-12-2013 03:45 PM
Advertisement

armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-12-2013 03:45 PM)niu2222 Wrote:  They lack confidence with their shot.

For good reason.

I love how we are anointing a kid who hasn't had one college practice yet our new leader.
03-12-2013 04:03 PM
niu2222 Offline
Special Teams

We arent! I am.
03-12-2013 04:06 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(03-12-2013 03:45 PM)niu2222 Wrote:  They dont have to learn how to shoot. They lack confidence with their shot. Bolin, Christian and Cravatta are jump shooters. They can improve with confidence. The other guys need to be able to get to the basket because they arent good shooters. Confidence with athletes is a very powerful thing. As fans, I understand that there is no reason to think anything will change. Highsmith will get to play with many guys who have played college ball. This years freshman did not have that luxury. I believe it will make a difference.

That's what it seemed like, but I don't know that just from watching. I don't really play basketball but I play a lot of pool, and I know that lack of confidence can make it harder to make a shot when fine motor control is required.
03-12-2013 04:12 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

He will be gone in a year
03-12-2013 04:20 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(03-12-2013 04:20 PM)klake87 Wrote:  He will be gone in a year

That's what worries me a little. But no sense worrying about it now, we can cross that bridge if it happens. He might create enough of a spark that the whole team responds.
03-12-2013 04:27 PM
Advertisement

niu2222 Offline
Special Teams

Klake87, no he wont be gone in a year, but Lynch will and thats what worries me. As huskies fans, I would stop talking crap about EMU and Akron ftball(pay back is a *****).
03-12-2013 04:59 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(03-12-2013 04:59 PM)niu2222 Wrote:  Klake87, no he wont be gone in a year, but Lynch will and thats what worries me. As huskies fans, I would stop talking crap about EMU and Akron ftball(pay back is a *****).

Its pretty clear NIU takes a step back in 2014, thats ok, its normal, its the cycle of college football. I dont think NIU stays down long though.
03-12-2013 05:01 PM
niu2222 Offline
Special Teams

There is still a small chance Nader will be back. Monty will meet with players individually next week. I also believe NIU is trying to host a tourney next year.
03-12-2013 06:44 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
I think its in the best interest of everyone if Nader and NIU went separate ways. It would probably be very hard for him to get the respect of his teamates back after this year.
03-12-2013 06:55 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
VCB better stock up on #3 basketball jerseys!
03-12-2013 09:34 PM
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

So were is Nader going?
03-12-2013 10:01 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(03-12-2013 03:45 PM)niu2222 Wrote:  They dont have to learn how to shoot. They lack confidence with their shot. Bolin, Christian and Cravatta are jump shooters. They can improve with confidence.

Bolin and Christian will be seniors next year. What makes you think they're going to show any significant improvement after three years of college ball?
03-12-2013 10:04 PM
niu2222 Offline
Special Teams

Who said anything about significant improvement. IF, we can get 13pts combined from them that will be fine. Bolin is a starter. Bolin will avg 8-10pts. Christian is a sub and can avg 4pts.
03-12-2013 10:15 PM
niu2222 Offline
Special Teams

We dont know if Naders going anywhere. Coach meets with players next week. We should here something either way.
03-12-2013 10:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.