Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Johns Hopkins Prez: We're looking at conferences (link)
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Johns Hopkins Prez: We're looking at conferences (link)
http://hub.jhu.edu/2013/03/12/mens-lacrosse-conference

Quote:Johns Hopkins University will formally explore conference affiliation for its men's lacrosse program, President Ronald J. Daniels announced in an email to members of the university community this morning.
"Some traditional foes have recently announced changes in their own affiliations, changes that might limit their flexibility to continue scheduling games with us," Daniels wrote. "At the same time, growth of the sport at the Division I level has resulted in the formation of more leagues with automatic qualification for the NCAA tournament, potentially limiting postseason opportunities for at-large qualifiers.
Daniels said that Johns Hopkins had not received any formal invitations to join a conference, but have been approached by more than one seeking to gauge JHU's interest in becoming an associate member. He announced that he was forming a special committee to look into conference affiliation options. The committee will work closely with JHU Athletic Director Tom Calder and men's lacrosse coach Dave Pietramala, and will submit its findings and recommendations to Daniels by May 15.

Traditional foes = Maryland and Syracuse

ACC is a top choice. B1G has been thrown around.

Patriot is likely in consideration. Ivy would be great but I doubt they'd ever expand.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 02:32 PM by AtlanticLeague.)
03-12-2013 02:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jericho Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
RE: Johns Hopkins Prez: We're looking at conferences (link)
John Hopkins replacing Maryland would give the ACC a nasty good lacrosse league. But not sure you want that many good teams in one conference.
03-12-2013 03:56 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(03-12-2013 03:56 PM)Jericho Wrote:  John Hopkins replacing Maryland would give the ACC a nasty good lacrosse league. But not sure you want that many good teams in one conference.

If Hopkins is looking for an easy road to auto-bid, the ACC isn't it.
03-12-2013 03:59 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Dream on Johns Hopkins.
03-12-2013 04:00 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

Cuse, UVA, and Duke have all won national championships in the last 5 years. It's been a while since UNC has played in it but ND went to the championship game in 2010.

My point is that the ACC is already an extremely strong league without Hopkins.
03-12-2013 04:04 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
These are the chances I'd give each conference...

50% - B1G
45% - ACC
5% - Big East

Those three and the Ivy League, which I doubt is expanding, are the only conferences I think they'd join.
03-12-2013 04:14 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I bet they pick the ACC
03-12-2013 04:17 PM
BamaWahoo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UVA/Bama
I had assumed that the only reason JH was interested in joining any league was that they were interested in getting into the CIC (and the CIC wanted them) and so the B1G was the choice - but more for the CIC involvement on both sides than actually for lacrosse. Think U Chicago-East. But with lacrosse.
03-12-2013 04:32 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If the big 10 is handing out one sport invites, i like the big 10 going after Boston University for a hockey only invite. They could join the CIC too, lot of grad programs might benefit at BU. As for Johns Hopkins, i'd go with the big 10 lacrosse and join the UAA again for other sports, they are rich and can afford the travel. Of course, if the ivy is expanding, than they join the ivy but doubt that happens + the ivy likes travel partners so they would need to bring in 2 to jump to 10.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 04:43 PM by bluesox.)
03-12-2013 04:36 PM
wildthing202 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
(03-12-2013 04:36 PM)bluesox Wrote:  If the big 10 is handing out one sport invites, i like the big 10 going after Boston University for a hockey only invite. They could join the CIC too, lot of grad programs might benefit at BU. As for Johns Hopkins, i'd go with the big 10 lacrosse and join the UAA again for other sports, they are rich and can afford the travel. Of course, if the ivy is expanding, than they join the ivy but doubt that happens + the ivy likes travel partners so they would need to bring in 2 to jump to 10.

Sorry but BU isn't leaving HE anytime soon. They're not leaving the best hockey conference with a bunch of local teams to join a bunch of midwestern schools for less money.
03-12-2013 04:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
the complete and utter ignorance of what the CIC is continues to astound me.
03-12-2013 04:55 PM
Advertisement

justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
COME ON HOPKINS

GO B1G OR GO HOME

...it's funny, as both a snotty little private school AND a massive research institution it fits in with either lacrosse league. I do think the B1G will be a better platform for getting the JHU message out there as well as a bit easier path to the postseason (I see this as a completely biased JHU grad, Rutgers, grad, and ACC hater.)
03-12-2013 04:55 PM
TomThumb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stuff
Joining a conference for lacross doesn't make them a member of that conference any more than Boise State or UC Santa Barbara are technically current members of the Pac-12.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 05:11 PM by TomThumb.)
03-12-2013 05:11 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2013 05:11 PM)TomThumb Wrote:  Joining a conference for lacross doesn't make them a member of that conference any more than Boise State or UC Santa Barbara are technically current members of the Pac-12.

Lacrosse defines Johns Hopkins. It's their only D1 sport, and they're exceptional at it. They're 2nd all time, behind only Syracuse, with 9 NCAA National Championships. Their last one was in '07. The club for NCAA Lacrosse championships is very small, only 9 different schools have titles, and only 13 different schools have been in the national championship game.
03-12-2013 05:21 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

(03-12-2013 05:21 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 05:11 PM)TomThumb Wrote:  Joining a conference for lacross doesn't make them a member of that conference any more than Boise State or UC Santa Barbara are technically current members of the Pac-12.

Lacrosse defines Johns Hopkins. It's their only D1 sport, and they're exceptional at it. They're 2nd all time, behind only Syracuse, with 9 NCAA National Championships. Their last one was in '07. The club for NCAA Lacrosse championships is very small, only 9 different schools have titles, and only 13 different schools have been in the national championship game.

Oh you forgot to mention the 35 pre-NCAA JHU national titles. I wonder why...
03-12-2013 05:41 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2013 05:41 PM)justinslot Wrote:  

This argument is similar to pre NCAA Basketball Tourney Championships. Nobody counts them. Entirely different than football where AP Poll Champions are still accepted.

It's an amazing feat, and they're part of Johns Hopkins' history, but they're pre NCAA Tournament. Lacrosse is a different game now compared to the early 1900's. I'd be okay with including '57, '59, and '67-'70 as modern lacrosse.
03-12-2013 06:11 PM
Advertisement

justinslot Offline
1st String

(03-12-2013 06:11 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

This argument is similar to pre NCAA Basketball Tourney Championships. Nobody counts them. Entirely different than football where AP Poll Champions are still accepted.

It's an amazing feat, and they're part of Johns Hopkins' history, but they're pre NCAA Tournament. Lacrosse is a different game now compared to the early 1900's. I'd be okay with including '57, '59, and '67-'70 as modern lacrosse.

I'll stick with my 44 national titles, thanks!
03-12-2013 06:19 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-12-2013 06:19 PM)justinslot Wrote:  

They're yours?!?

Precisely how does a Rutgers/Temple fan even get to claim JHU lacrosse championships?

Cheers,
Neil
03-12-2013 06:23 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

(03-12-2013 06:23 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 06:19 PM)justinslot Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 05:21 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Lacrosse defines Johns Hopkins. It's their only D1 sport, and they're exceptional at it. They're 2nd all time, behind only Syracuse, with 9 NCAA National Championships. Their last one was in '07. The club for NCAA Lacrosse championships is very small, only 9 different schools have titles, and only 13 different schools have been in the national championship game.

They're yours?!?

Precisely how does a Rutgers/Temple fan even get to claim JHU lacrosse championships?

Cheers,
Neil

I don't think there's much need to identify as a Hopkins person on a forum like this. Well, there never used to be...realignment is funny that way.
03-12-2013 06:29 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(03-12-2013 04:32 PM)BamaWahoo Wrote:  I had assumed that the only reason JH was interested in joining any league was that they were interested in getting into the CIC (and the CIC wanted them) and so the B1G was the choice - but more for the CIC involvement on both sides than actually for lacrosse. Think U Chicago-East. But with lacrosse.

This is my thought as well.

The Big Ten has never had an affiliate member, but to get Johns Hopkins in the CIC, they would make an exception.
03-12-2013 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.