Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN Nbe/A12 2013 FB Telecasts: 2 Wed; 8 Thurs; 10 Fri; 0 Sat
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
ESPN Nbe/A12 2013 FB Telecasts: 2 Wed; 8 Thurs; 10 Fri; 0 Sat
This is probably what has Navy in a tizzy. This kind of week night schedule is absolutely devastating to Navy. Navy feels like it has at least two years to yank the plug on Nbe based on Navy's AD's remarks quoted in the linked Baltimore Sun article. It certainly appears Navy will complete re-evaluate accepting membership in Nbe/A12, especially now with all the week nite ESPN telecasts.

The better the team recognized nationally, the more that team is going to play week nite games. Louisville will play 4 week night games. Wonder, given that the Nbe/A12 contract was known for some time by Boise but Aresco was hiding it from the public as long as he could, if these week nite games was another factor pushing the Broncos back to MWC? The Broncos now have 6 ESPN Saturday telecasts, 6 more than Nbe/A12 combined.

2013 BIG EAST CONFERENCE TEAM-BY-TEAM FOOTBALL SCHEDULES
http://www.bigeast.org

NAVY, BOUND FOR BIG EAST FOOTBALL, WILL WAIT TO REVIEW 'ALL THE MOVING PARTS'
The Baltimore Sun, By Don Markus, December 13, 2012

"Navy Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk said that Navy, which is scheduled to move into the BIg East in 2015 for football only, is continually "reviewing all the moving parts" and will figure out where its football program will land once the other schools decide where they are going."

"We have the latitude to evaluate the bigger picture for the next couple of years," Gladchuk said Thursday. "This is a obviously new development. We're not in a position where we're panicking. Eventually, the dust will settle, what that means, I don't know., When it does, Navy will take a real hard look at what's left standing.""
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 11:18 AM by Tallgrass.)
03-10-2013 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: ESPN Nbe/A12 2013 FB Telecasts: 2 Wed; 8 Thurs; 10 Fri; 0 Sat
Wednesday night? This garbage has to stop, unless we are talking about Bowl season. Or day before Thanksgiving. I don't think that's what we are talking about though.

This is bad... really bad scheduling wise. ESPN can only have so many games on Thursday night, and we also have NFL on Thursday night.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 11:35 AM by RUScarlets.)
03-10-2013 11:34 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Navy needs to stay Independent. I don't see what there is to gain for Navy right now. The Big East needs Navy more than Navy needs the Big East. And gone is the chance at a national conference.
03-10-2013 11:38 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
The Broncos now have 6 ESPN Saturday telecasts, 6 more than Nbe/A12 combined.

I don't believe all saturdays is correct.
03-10-2013 11:47 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(03-10-2013 11:38 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Navy needs to stay Independent. I don't see what there is to gain for Navy right now. The Big East needs Navy more than Navy needs the Big East. And gone is the chance at a national conference.

However one of Navy's biggest fears is being shut out of future bowl agreements as bowl opportunities shift increasingly to the C5.

Army is less concerned because they can rotate off with BYU plus they are rarely eligible anyways.
03-10-2013 11:48 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Tulsa fans, TU administrators did not do their home work when they accepted WAC-16 invitation. There are a whole lot of questions regarding the Nbe/A12 ESPN tv contract. Not only are the ESPN tv telecasts few and on week nites, the issue would be how many times is Tulsa telecast? TU has been on tv a bunch last year and probably this year with CUSA's tv contract.

ESPN Nbe/A12 TV WEEK NITE TELECASTS BY Nbe SCHOOL

LOUISVILLE: (4)
Rutgers, UCF, @UConn, @Cincy

CENTRAL FLORIDA: (3)
Rutgers, USF, @Louisville

CINCINNATI: (2)
Louisville, @Memphis

HOUSTON: (2)
USF, SMU

RUTGERS: (2)
@Louisville, @UCF

SMU: (2)
Texas Tech, @Houston

SOUTH FLORIDA: (2)
@Houston, @Central Florida

UCONN: (1)
Louisville

MEMPHIS: (1)
Cincy

TEMPLE: (1)
@Cincy
03-10-2013 11:54 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(03-10-2013 11:47 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  The Broncos now have 6 ESPN Saturday telecasts, 6 more than Nbe/A12 combined.

I don't believe all saturdays is correct.

It not...but we do have 4 Conference Games on either a Thursday Night or Friday. The others are on Saturday and will be on one the the ESPN Platforms...
03-10-2013 11:56 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-10-2013 11:48 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 11:38 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Navy needs to stay Independent. I don't see what there is to gain for Navy right now. The Big East needs Navy more than Navy needs the Big East. And gone is the chance at a national conference.

However one of Navy's biggest fears is being shut out of future bowl agreements as bowl opportunities shift increasingly to the C5.

Army is less concerned because they can rotate off with BYU plus they are rarely eligible anyways.

Sorry pal, this is total bull poop. Army has not trouble getting a schedule together and his its bowl agreements in place. Army's bowl "problem" is just getting elgible.

If you are going to use the "force" argument, that is, Navy will be "forced" into Nbe/A12 because of outside scheduling and bowl tie-in pressures, do you remember Nbe/A12's "forced" argument that NBC was going to have to couph up a boatload of tv money for Nbe/A12?

As an asiide, remember when Big East screwed around and didn't do their homework....and Charlotte Bowl invited Navy over Big East, supposedly a designated conference for Charlotte Bowl? My guess is Navy, as an independent, can get BETTER bowl agreements than being part of Nbe/A12.
03-10-2013 11:59 AM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
The Aresco League WILL have games on Saturday on ESPN/2/ABC on Saturdays. They just haven't been selected yet. This year, they're still under the old Big East football contract, which guarantees so many ESPN Saturday games, so many ESPN-U Saturday games, so many weeknight ESPN games. That contract is still valid.

http://www.villanova.com/genrel/083006aab.html

Ok, I just googled up "Big East ESPN Contract 2006" and read it again. I don't see a Saturday guarantee, except for 2 on Championship Saturday. But I wouldn't take the current schedule as a reason to panic.

1. This isn't the final schedule. A handful of Saturday games will get bumped up to ESPN/2/ABC.
2. These games are under the old contract, not the new one.

There are plenty of reasons for the Aresco League schools to panic. But this isn't one.
03-10-2013 12:04 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-10-2013 11:54 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Tulsa fans, TU administrators did not do their home work when they accepted WAC-16 invitation. There are a whole lot of questions regarding the Nbe/A12 ESPN tv contract. Not only are the ESPN tv telecasts few and on week nites, the issue would be how many times is Tulsa telecast? TU has been on tv a bunch last year and probably this year with CUSA's tv contract.

ESPN Nbe/A12 TV WEEK NITE TELECASTS BY Nbe SCHOOL

LOUISVILLE: (4)
Rutgers, UCF, @UConn, @Cincy

CENTRAL FLORIDA: (3)
Rutgers, USF, @Louisville

Louisville, @Memphis

USF, SMU

@Louisville, @UCF

Texas Tech, @Houston

Louisville

Cincy

@Cincy

Aresco has been quoted as saying all 65 nBE games would be nationally televised. A this point, I believe very little of what Aresco says (and I suspect BE newbie presidents feel much the same), but that was in fact his statement on the Tim Brando Show the Monday following the agreement between ESPN and nBE. It's also worth noting that more than two weeks after said agreement, the presidents have chosen not to approve the contract.

It's my opinion that the current agreement will not be signed in its current form. If it were going to be signed, it would have been done over a week ago at the last Friday BE meeting. There is clearly some aspect (or aspects) of the contract that the presidents are not happy with. Arescos refusal to talk specifics on the Tim Brando Show leads me to believe the agreement does not offer near the exposure that everyone is hoping for and that the Aresco league could find itself on CBS Sports or local RSNs far more often than they think. The assumption is that negotiations are over--I don't think that they are.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 12:18 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-10-2013 12:09 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
whoa... did dude really say "bull poop".... GTFOH lol...

aight back to the thread at hand
03-10-2013 12:10 PM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-10-2013 12:04 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  The Aresco League WILL have games on Saturday on ESPN/2/ABC on Saturdays. They just haven't been selected yet. This year, they're still under the old Big East football contract, which guarantees so many ESPN Saturday games, so many ESPN-U Saturday games, so many weeknight ESPN games. That contract is still valid.

http://www.villanova.com/genrel/083006aab.html

Ok, I just googled up "Big East ESPN Contract 2006" and read it again. I don't see a Saturday guarantee, except for 2 on Championship Saturday. But I wouldn't take the current schedule as a reason to panic.

1. This isn't the final schedule. A handful of Saturday games will get bumped up to ESPN/2/ABC.
2. These games are under the old contract, not the new one.

There are plenty of reasons for the Aresco League schools to panic. But this isn't one.

The best Nbe/A12 football conference games have already been selected. I doubt Temple vs SMU or Tulane vs Memphis is put on ABC or ESPN.
03-10-2013 12:23 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(03-10-2013 11:54 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  [b]ESPN Nbe/A12 TV WEEK NITE TELECASTS BY Nbe

Louisville, @Memphis

USF, SMU

@Louisville, @UCF

Texas Tech, @Houston

Louisville

Cincy

@Cincy

Miami-O's ESPN Schedule this year:

Bowling Green, 8:00 pm ET (ESPN2)
at Kent State, TBA (ESPN2)
Buffalo, TBA (ESPN2)
at Ball State, TBA (ESPNU)

I'm glad Miami is in the MAC and not the Ameoba-12 conference.

04-cheers

Temple payed $6 Million to go from 4 games a year on ESPN to 1. LOL.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 01:06 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
03-10-2013 12:43 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
This year is under the old BE contract. Don't read too much into that.
03-10-2013 01:18 PM
Texas2Step Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The American
I guess ShortWeed conveniently missed the part where it says this isn't the final BE/ESPN lineup and that more games could be added and/or moved around. For instance, say Houston and UCF are both ranked coming into their matchup. ESPN could easily get the two schools to move their game from Saturday to a Friday and show it on ESPN2. Or, if SMU and Houston are both ranked, with the conference title on the line (hypothetical, Louisville fans), ESPN could easily just move the game from ESPN/2 to ABC as they see fit. If Tulsa is ranked highly going into the last regular season game against those mighty Mean Greenies, the best they can do is FSN.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 01:30 PM by Texas2Step.)
03-10-2013 01:29 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(03-10-2013 01:29 PM)Texas2Step Wrote:  I guess ShortWeed conveniently missed the part where it says this isn't the final BE/ESPN lineup and that more games could be added and/or moved around. For instance, say Houston and UCF are both ranked coming into their matchup. ESPN could easily get the two schools to move their game from Saturday to a Friday and show it on ESPN2. Or, if SMU and Houston are both ranked, with the conference title on the line (hypothetical, Louisville fans), ESPN could easily just move the game from ESPN/2 to ABC as they see fit. If Tulsa is ranked highly going into the last regular season game against those mighty Mean Greenies, the best they can do is FSN.

It called the 14 day window...it has always been like that. Case in point this past year Louisville-Syracuse game...was picked up by ABC for a Noon Telecast on a "Saturday"...not ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or ESPN3 but the ABC Over the Air Network...geez 05-nono
03-10-2013 01:48 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I like weeknight games. When you're the only game on that night, your audience is going to be bigger than if you play Saturday afternoon when nine other games are being shown at the same time.

And the NFL games on Thursday nights are usually duds, unlike their Sunday night matchups.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 03:04 PM by UConn-SMU.)
03-10-2013 02:17 PM
billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(03-10-2013 02:17 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I like weeknight games. When you're the only game on that night, you're audience is going to be bigger than if you play Saturday afternoon when nine other games are being shown at the same time.

And the NFL games on Thursday nights are usually duds, unlike their Sunday night matchups.

So sad to see the world become a FOR TV world rather then a go to the game and experience it world......

Weeknight kill tailgating, weaken the game day atmosphere, and lower attendance. That is what keeps alumni giving and coming to campus not a Wednesday night game they watch on TV
03-10-2013 02:21 PM
UConn-SMU Offline

Navy can remain independent.

I'd prefer to have them in the conference. But on the bright side, their computer ranking would be a slight drag.
03-10-2013 02:21 PM
UConn-SMU Offline

(03-10-2013 02:21 PM)billings Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 02:17 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I like weeknight games. When you're the only game on that night, you're audience is going to be bigger than if you play Saturday afternoon when nine other games are being shown at the same time.

So sad to see the world become a FOR TV world rather then a go to the game and experience it world......

Weeknight kill tailgating, weaken the game day atmosphere, and lower attendance. That is what keeps alumni giving and coming to campus not a Wednesday night game they watch on TV

UConn has 10 Saturday games this year, plus one Thursday and one Friday.

I wish UConn actually had one more weeknight game.
03-10-2013 02:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.