Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Takeaways from the scrimmage per paulie D
Bookmark and Share
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
Takeaways from the scrimmage per paulie D
Quote:Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr
#Bearcats scrimmage takeaway No. 1: Anthony McClung looks great. Constantly open, making plays in space. Primed for big year.

#Bearcats Scrimmage Takeaway No.2: Between O-line and LBs, UC has two of the strongest position groups in conference.

#Bearcats Scrimmage Takeaway No. 3: Most intriguing storyline for me will be RB. RDAIV, Green, Buckley, King all making plays.

#Bearcats scrimmage Takeaway No. 4: Like what Bennie Coney is showing. To my eye, best of rest behind Munchie/Kay. Showed nice touch.

03-09-2013 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Takeaways from the scrimmage per paulie D
Like to hear McClung is looking good. Seomeone should have filled out a missing person's report on him last season.

Regarding RB, it will be interesting to see the rotation when the JUCO's (Moore and the other guy) get here. Last year we thought we would have RB by committee before the seasons started--- could be the case this year?

03-10-2013 10:17 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Max Morrison is running with the #1's at WR also.

03-10-2013 11:30 AM
coachpipe Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(03-10-2013 11:30 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Max Morrison is running with the #1's at WR also.

He dominated the receiver ranks while in high school. It helps to have a Mauk throw you the ball though. I see good things coming for him

03-10-2013 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Racinejake Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2013 11:30 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Max Morrison is running with the #1's at WR also.

Gotta say that is shocking. Wonder if that means Chisum has fallen off. I would've thought that one of Graves or Cole would've emerged for that spot. Maybe Morrison will be a big surprise this year. I just remember him being so rail thin. It'll also be interesting to see what Johnny Holton can do when he gets here.

03-10-2013 12:00 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Tuberville values route runners more so than anything else in his wideouts...and Morrison is BY FAR the best route runner in our WR Corps. No surprise to see him moving up so quickly.

03-10-2013 12:12 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-10-2013 12:12 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Tuberville values route runners more so than anything else in his wideouts...and Morrison is BY FAR the best route runner in our WR Corps. No surprise to see him moving up so quickly.

Yep. Over the years that is one thing I have always noted about B12 teams. Schools like Texas Tech, Baylor, and now TCU have had prolific passing games over the years and they are always loaded with guys who run precise routes and who are deceptively quick (see Wes Welker). BE teams on the other hands (including our own) have always valued guys with off the chart athleticism who are not exactly great at running routes.

03-10-2013 12:34 PM
Advertisement

JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(03-10-2013 12:00 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  

Gotta say that is shocking. Wonder if that means Chisum has fallen off. I would've thought that one of Graves or Cole would've emerged for that spot. Maybe Morrison will be a big surprise this year. I just remember him being so rail thin. It'll also be interesting to see what Johnny Holton can do when he gets here.

I know we're not supposed to talk about injuries, but suffice it to say I happened to see Chisum going around campus on crutches last week.

03-10-2013 02:43 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-10-2013 02:43 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

I know we're not supposed to talk about injuries, but suffice it to say I happened to see Chisum going around campus on crutches last week.

Yep, he was in a walking boot out there yesterday before the basketball game.

03-10-2013 02:44 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(03-10-2013 02:43 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

During spring football we are not as stringent on that rule since we are so far from any games. The rule is there to prevent injury status from becoming public without someone from UC releasing the info. Once someone from UC does release injury information about a player during the season it can be discussed here.

03-10-2013 03:46 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Bearcats enjoy their day in the sun
Passing game looks good, rushing less so
Mar 9, 2013

[Image: 35546123001_2215788228001_vs-513bfc41e4b...5546123001]
First Scrimmage: Cincinnati Bearcats Football first scrimmage of the spring at Nippert Stadium.

Written by
Tom Groeschen

Anthony McClung was one of several Cincinnati Bearcats eager to burst out of their indoor football bubble, and McClung made the most of a sunny intra­squad scrimmage Saturday afternoon at Nippert Stadium.

McClung, a senior-to-be wide receiver, caught four passes for 151 yards and three touchdowns to highlight UC’s first outdoor workout under new coach Tommy Tuberville.

UC had practiced inside since opening spring drills March 1, and Saturday coincidentally was the best weather day in recent weeks, with temperatures in the 50s.

“The sun does shine in Cincinnati,” Tuberville said, smiling. “What a beautiful day. I think our guys were just excited about coming outside.”

McClung clearly was. The Indianapolis native is UC’s top returning receiver, with 34 catches for 539 yards (15.9 per catch) and two touchdowns last year.

“I just tried to make plays for my team,” McClung said. “My number was called, and BK (Brendon Kay) and Munchie (Legaux) just put the ball on the money.”

Kay, the incumbent starter, was 7-for-11 passing for 115 yards and two touchdowns (no interceptions).

Legaux, the former starter, was 8-for-15 passing for 150 yards and one TD (no interceptions).

Both Kay and Legaux are entering their final UC seasons.

“I thought both quarterbacks (Kay and Legaux) played well. … All the quarterbacks played well,” Tuberville said.

Among backups, redshirt freshman QB Bennie Coney stood out by going 6 for 7 for 104 yards and two TDs.

SCRIMMAGE NOTES: The passing game overall was 34 for 54 for 456 yards and five TDs, with one interception.

• The running game was not as potent. Among non-quarterbacks, the tally was 37 carries for 147 yards and one TD. Among the top backs, junior-to-be Ralph David Abernathy IV had seven carries for 22 yards and sophomore-to-be Tion Green had 10 carries for 19 yards. Abernathy and Green faced UC’s No. 1 defense.

• Tuberville was heartened that his starting defense looked good against the run: “That’s the whole key. You worry about the run defense at the very beginning. If you don’t have very good run defense early in spring practice, that means the next year you’re really gonna suffer.”

• Veteran placekicker Tony Miliano, a junior-to-be, was 4 for 5 on field goal attempts and 5 for 5 on extra points.

• The scrimmage technically was closed to the public, but a smattering of fans filtered in and out of Nippert. With several activities on campus, Tuberville didn’t mind some spectators: “We had a few people out, and it was a good practice.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...ir-day-sun

03-11-2013 05:06 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

Interesting the way they put the white stripes on the defensive players helmets. Was told the purpose is to track where the players are looking when they watch them on film.

03-11-2013 08:30 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

Glad to hear our run D has started off well. Sounds like our secondary is behind at this point, though. Those are pretty good numbers that the QBs put up. Not surprising since we've got experienced QBs/WRs but a bunch of new faces in the secondary.

03-11-2013 09:04 AM
ThinkBigPine Offline
Dilly Dilly

(03-11-2013 09:04 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  Glad to hear our run D has started off well. Sounds like our secondary is behind at this point, though. Those are pretty good numbers that the QBs put up. Not surprising since we've got experienced QBs/WRs but a bunch of new faces in the secondary.

That is genius.

03-11-2013 09:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.