Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TULSA, WKU, APP St. all changing Conference homes
David Krumudgen Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis
TULSA, WKU, APP St. all changing Conference homes
Anytime from now to the NCAA Tourney you will start to hear these
official announcements and their will be others (Georgia Southern and NMSU on the move as well)

TULSA > America 12
WKU > CUSA
APP STATE > Sun Belt
03-08-2013 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
RE: TULSA, WKU, APP St. all changing Conference homes
(03-08-2013 06:16 PM)David Krumudgen Wrote:  Anytime from now to the NCAA Tourney you will start to hear these
official announcements and their will be others (Georgia Southern and NMSU on the move as well)

TULSA > America 12
WKU > CUSA
APP STATE > Sun Belt

SBC may go JMU over NMSU
03-08-2013 06:19 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
Source?
03-08-2013 06:29 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(03-08-2013 06:29 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  Source?

don't know about where he gets the timing but those are all captain obvious picks that we've been talking about for months on here. Tulsa is all over the A12 articles.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 06:31 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
03-08-2013 06:31 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
Yes but I was wondering if this was actually a substantiated thread or speculative.
03-08-2013 07:13 PM
David Krumudgen Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-08-2013 07:13 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  Yes but I was wondering if this was actually a substantiated thread or speculative.

APP ST was approved by telephone vote of the SBC Presidents.
Georgia Southern and NMSU are being discussed in meetings
at the SBC Tourney going on this weekend.

WKU has told all of their coaches not to schedule CUSA teams
as non conference games because WKU will be in CUSA.
This has also been confirmed by Memphis, (We still are in Cusa)

I happen to be employed by Memphis and we were told Tulsa is joining us.

Most of the Announcements will follow probably the conference Tourneys because
these will be for the 2014 season and to avoid exit fees a year notice will eliminate
or reduce exit fees.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 09:09 PM by David Krumudgen.)
03-08-2013 08:57 PM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Why would they approve App by phone if they are all meeting in person a day or two later?
03-08-2013 09:18 PM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
Can't see why the Sun Belt wouldn't be taking New Mexico State first.....then Georgia Southern, etc..
03-08-2013 09:29 PM
David Krumudgen Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-08-2013 09:18 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Why would they approve App by phone if they are all meeting in person a day or two later?

I was just told that app state had been approved by phone. I was not told the date of the call. I think the sun belt will invite ga southern and nmsu
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 09:31 PM by David Krumudgen.)
03-08-2013 09:29 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(03-08-2013 08:57 PM)David Krumudgen Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 07:13 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  Yes but I was wondering if this was actually a substantiated thread or speculative.

APP ST was approved by telephone vote of the SBC Presidents.
Georgia Southern and NMSU are being discussed in meetings
at the SBC Tourney going on this weekend.

WKU has told all of their coaches not to schedule CUSA teams
as non conference games because WKU will be in CUSA.
This has also been confirmed by Memphis, (We still are in Cusa)

I happen to be employed by Memphis and we were told Tulsa is joining us.

Most of the Announcements will follow probably the conference Tourneys because
these will be for the 2014 season and to avoid exit fees a year notice will eliminate
or reduce exit fees.

In other words since you are employed by Memphis you know for a fact about Tulsa and WKU, but have no inside source about what the SunBelt will do so therefore or just guessing on there moves.
03-08-2013 10:02 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(03-08-2013 09:29 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Can't see why the Sun Belt wouldn't be taking New Mexico State first.....then Georgia Southern, etc..

Here's a few reasons I don't support NMSU in the Sun Belt.

1) They aren't a geographic fit. The SBC used to have a far flung footprint. It was an expensive disaster

2) NMSU was a member of the Sun Belt. They LEFT at the first opportunity and the SBC had to offer bids to two losers to stay FBS. The reputational hit of having 2 F_U members sitting in the ESPN bottom ten for about 6 years was not good for the conference

3) NMSU has little upside.

4) NMSU has no rivalries with existing SBC schools. They aren't likely to create any either.

5) All the existing Sun Belt schools (including potential SBC members Appy and Ga Southern) can be reached from at least one other SBC school via ground transport within 4 hours. What that means is that SBC schools can save money by scheduling the away games in the Oly sports on a Friday/Sunday schedule and doing two at a time. It saves money. It also helps those student athletes attend classes more, even during their athletic season. Las Cruces, NM is eight hours by car from San Marcos, TX. Eight long hours.

I can't understand why we would even consider bringing them back. Just take Appy and Ga Southern and be done with it. But make any new members sign a massive exit contract in the event they leave before any existing SBC member.
03-08-2013 11:23 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
So it may very well be true that the Sun Belt wanted App State the first part of 2012, but they would not accept without Georgia Southern.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 02:25 AM by GoApps70.)
03-09-2013 02:24 AM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(03-08-2013 11:23 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 09:29 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Can't see why the Sun Belt wouldn't be taking New Mexico State first.....then Georgia Southern, etc..

1) They aren't a geographic fit. The SBC used to have a far flung footprint. It was an expensive disaster

2) NMSU was a member of the Sun Belt. They LEFT at the first opportunity and the SBC had to offer bids to two losers to stay FBS. The reputational hit of having 2 F_U members sitting in the ESPN bottom ten for about 6 years was not good for the conference

4) NMSU has no rivalries with existing SBC schools. They aren't likely to create any either.

5) All the existing Sun Belt schools (including potential SBC members Appy and Ga Southern) can be reached from at least one other SBC school via ground transport within 4 hours. What that means is that SBC schools can save money by scheduling the away games in the Oly sports on a Friday/Sunday schedule and doing two at a time. It saves money. It also helps those student athletes attend classes more, even during their athletic season. Las Cruces, NM is eight hours by car from San Marcos, TX. Eight long hours.

I can't understand why we would even consider bringing them back. Just take Appy and Ga Southern and be done with it. But make any new members sign a massive exit contract in the event they leave before any existing SBC member.

there's an airport in Las Cruces where teams can fly in and out of and there's one in San Marcos

seems like that problem is solved
03-09-2013 03:18 AM
Tennessee_Eagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia South
(03-09-2013 02:24 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  So it may very well be true that the Sun Belt wanted App State the first part of 2012, but they would not accept without Georgia Southern.

I've been told multiple times by people that should have some knowledge as to what is going on that Georgia Southern was tied to the hip with App. Not that either one wouldn't accept without the other, but the intent was to move together.

In the past, App took the lead and was very focal about an FBS move where Georgia Southern was in the background. This time around, Georgia Southern is being very vocal but App has been relatively quiet.

In my biased opinion, taking one without the other is a mistake. We both play competitive football, have a great rivalry going on and either have recent additions or planned additions to there facilities.
03-09-2013 07:48 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

We know App State has always been lukewarm on the Sun Belt primarily due to the geography and potential for rivalries as North Carolina associates more with VA, SC, TN than LA, AR, AL. I would think they would want their biggest rival in the conference, but certainly they are not in a position to turn an offer down.
03-09-2013 08:15 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(03-09-2013 03:18 AM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  

there's an airport in Las Cruces where teams can fly in and out of and there's one in San Marcos

If your teams fly in Piper Cubs then yes. Otherwise, schools normally fly into El Paso and bus up to Las Cruces. Even so its not a big deal.
03-09-2013 08:19 AM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(03-09-2013 08:19 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

If your teams fly in Piper Cubs then yes. Otherwise, schools normally fly into El Paso and bus up to Las Cruces. Even so its not a big deal.

or fly a charter as many schools do. nmsu is a state flagship school with much more national credibility than appy or ga-so..
03-09-2013 08:26 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

Really? They bring football credibility when they go 0-12?
03-09-2013 08:38 AM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I don't see why, with WKU rumored to be leaving, they don't just add all 3.

Appalachian State/Arkansas State
Georgia Southern/Georgia State
Louisiana Lafayette/Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State/Texas State
South Alabama/Troy

Pair them up like that for rivalry week.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 08:49 AM by Chappy.)
03-09-2013 08:45 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU

Oh, NMSU, like the University of Alaska Anchorage and Idaho are reachable by chartered aircraft. I'm not disputing that. But you see, all the other SBC schools are easily reachable by chartered bus. The question is travel time and EXPENSE.

Besides, I'd just keep the SBC small in number.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 09:31 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
03-09-2013 09:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.