Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EW place on paid leave
Bookmark and Share
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
EW place on paid leave
per NS:
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 04:59 PM by thehappyhuskie.)
03-08-2013 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: EW place on paid leave
03-08-2013 05:00 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

03-08-2013 05:02 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

http://northernstar.info/article_e4a13ea...0f31a.html

Kelly Bauer
Eddie Williams, chief of operations and executive vice president of Finance and Facilities, has been placed on paid leave.
Earlier today, Williams issued a statement through his lawyer saying he was unsure why he was the subject of an FBI investigation. On Wednesday, FBI and ISP personnel, among others, executed a search warrant on the campus.

Now we know as fact that EW is the subject of a FBI investigation!
Is EW lawyer NIU's or his lawyer? Who is his lawyer?
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 05:05 PM by NIU75.)
03-08-2013 05:02 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(03-08-2013 05:02 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  http://northernstar.info/article_e4a13ea...0f31a.html

Kelly Bauer
Eddie Williams, chief of operations and executive vice president of Finance and Facilities, has been placed on paid leave.
Earlier today, Williams issued a statement through his lawyer saying he was unsure why he was the subject of an FBI investigation. On Wednesday, FBI and ISP personnel, among others, executed a search warrant on the campus.

chickens coming home to roost. Did Grady provide a service for EW with department records for EWs side business, and if yes, would Grady do that for free??? Inquiring minds want to know
03-08-2013 05:05 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2013 05:05 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 05:02 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  http://northernstar.info/article_e4a13ea...0f31a.html

Kelly Bauer

chickens coming home to roost. Did Grady provide a service for EW with department records for EWs side business, and if yes, would Grady do that for free??? Inquiring minds want to know

Grady was paid more than the #2 cop in Chicago.
03-08-2013 05:06 PM
Advertisement

BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
Suck it easy *******.
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Lets just get him out quickly, and as quietly as possible (maybe the Tribune will be too busy to write about this? 03-wink )
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
I wonder if the FBI will find the paperwork to approve my promotion that EW "lost in his office" back in September.
03-08-2013 05:09 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2013 05:09 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  I wonder if the FBI will find the paperwork to approve my promotion that EW "lost in his office" back in September.

03-nutkick
NIU75 Offline
All American

(03-08-2013 05:00 PM)OldTtimeNIU Wrote:  http://northernstar.info/article_e4a13ea...0f31a.html
DeKALB – Eddie Williams released a statement through his attorney on Friday stating he has no idea why he is a subject of interest in the FBI investigation into the Northern Illinois Police Department. At the same time, Northern Illinois University has placed Williams on paid leave.
“Dr. Williams and I have conferred and agree that because he oversees a broad range of administrative matters he will take this step until resolution of the investigation to avoid any appearance of conflict or any question concerning the university’s response to this matter,” NIU President John Peters said in a news statement.
Williams, who has worked at Northern Illinois University for more than 40 years and is the university's executive vice president and chief of operations for finance and facilities, referenced his role in developing affordable housing in DeKalb in the statement.
"Eden’s Gardens, a privately funded, two-phase project, is not affiliated in any way with Northern Illinois University, and it does not provide student housing," the statement read. "Its sole purpose is to meet the housing needs of those in the community with limited financial resources. 
"Prospective Eden’s Gardens resident screening has been conducted for more than five years by Screening Reports Inc., a national provider of background screening service to the multi-family housing industry."  
Williams' statement seems to dovetail with reports that the federal agents who searched the NIU police department on Wednesday were investigating whether the police's criminal records database was improperly used to conduct background checks on prospective applicants for Section 8 housing.
“Dr. Williams is cooperating fully with the authorities and Eden’s Gardens has provided all materials requested," the statement said, "but Dr. Williams has no idea why he or the project is the subject of any government interest.”
The Daily Chronicle has requested a copy of the search warrant in the case, but has not receicved a response from university officials.
The FBI and other authorities removed Northern Illinois University police department files dating back to January 2005 while searching the campus station Wednesday, NIU President John Peters said Friday morning.
Peters discussed Wednesday's FBI search of the the campus police station in an email to students and faculty Friday morning. The email can be found here:
The search warrant issued to the university was primarily focused around police department records and information," Peters wrote in the email. "It is troubling to be on the receiving end of a search warrant and investigation by any law enforcement agency, as it is impossible at this early stage to determine what specific actions may have occurred that necessitate such a response."
FBI agents and state police, joined by officials from the U.S. Education Department’s Office of the Inspector General and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Inspector General, arrived about 8 a.m. Wednesday and worked throughout the day. The inspectors general at federal agencies typically investigate fraud or waste of agency funds or in agency programs.
The searches follow several controversies to hit campus over the past year, some of which have involved the police department.
Two NIU administrators, Robert Albanese and John Gordon, reportedly were under investigation for appropriating university property for their personal use when they quit in July. An employee filed a grievance complaining of being assigned to clean Gordon’s home while working for the university.
Albanese was the former associate vice president of the Division of Finance, Facilities and Operations, and Gordon is the former director of the Convocation
Center.
University police also led the investigation into the “coffee fund,” an off-the-books repository for proceeds from the sale of NIU-owned scrap metal – some of it from building projects – and other materials that NIU officials have said was used for retirement parties and other office expenses. Eight current NIU employees were indicted in connection to that investigation in December; six have returned to work and two remain on paid leave.
In February, longtime Police Chief Donald Grady was fired for the department’s mishandling of a rape case against one of his own officers.
Former NIU police officer Andrew Rifkin, 25, of Northbrook, is accused of raping a student off-campus while he was off duty in October 2011. Lt. Kartik Ramakrishnan – who testified in court that he mistakenly placed two witness statements in Rifkin’s personnel file, rather than giving them to prosecutors – remains on paid leave.
Sexual assault charges against Rifkin were dropped by former State’s Attorney Clay Campbell, but were reinstated in February by new State’s Attorney Richard Schmack.
FBI Chicago media coordinator Joan Hyde declined to comment Wednesday on the search or the underlying investigation. Hyde said the FBI typically does not announce searches, but decided to issue a news release about this one around 8:15 a.m. Wednesday to avoid passers-by noticing the police presence and worrying about a large emergency.
Peters also announced in a news release that Dr. Steven Cunningham, NIU's current vice president for administration and human resource services, will serve as acting chief of operations and executive vice president of finance and facilities.
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

They say the best time to let out bad news is on a Friday afternoon. We had to wait two days for EW's lawyer to talk.
03-08-2013 05:17 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

Included copy of the search warrant

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2013/03/0...d/a34ce1d/
03-08-2013 05:23 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

03-08-2013 05:26 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Do they still run people out of town "on rails"? That would be fun to watch...
03-08-2013 05:29 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Still trying to understand how this falls under FBI jurisdiction.
Interstate or cyber crime? Theft of government property? Federal housing violation?
This should get interesting.
03-08-2013 05:33 PM
Advertisement

BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
(03-08-2013 05:33 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  Still trying to understand how this falls under FBI jurisdiction.
Interstate or cyber crime? Theft of government property? Federal housing violation?
This should get interesting.
I imagine since federal money is involved in Section 8 housing. Also maybe since NIU is a state entity, the feds might have to investigate, can the state investigate itself with the state police?
03-08-2013 05:36 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

HUD involved I hear
03-08-2013 05:59 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
(03-08-2013 05:59 PM)OldTtimeNIU Wrote:  HUD involved I hear
OMGZ where did you hear that? Haha we've known about that since Wednesday.
03-08-2013 05:59 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

(03-08-2013 05:59 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 05:59 PM)OldTtimeNIU Wrote:  HUD involved I hear
OMGZ where did you hear that? Haha we've known about that since Wednesday.

Apparently not everyone got the message so I posted it again...what's your problem?
03-08-2013 06:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.