Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Summit knocks out another contender for its throne
Summit knocks out another contender for its throne
Mar 7, 2013

[Image: 35546123001_2210433368001_vs-51398256e4b...5546123001]
Summit the team to beat in DIII hoops: Until proven otherwise, Summit is the team to beat in Division III hoops.

Written by
Mark Schmetzer
Enquirer contributor

DAYTON — For most people, jewelry is ornamental.

For Summit Country Day, it’s motivational.

That was coach Michael Bradley’s reason for picking up a faux boxing championship belt on Thursday before his Silver Knights’ boys basketball team faced West Liberty-Salem in a Division III district championship game.

It was Bradley’s way of reminding his players that they have a state championship to defend – that, as far as Ohio Division III basketball goes, they are “The Man.”

“I’ve seen it done before,” said Bradley, who was playing in the NBA when the Detroit Pistons won the 2004 championship. “I remember guys like Rasheed Wallace wearing belts. It’s like the old saying, ‘If you want to be the man, you’ve got to beat the man.’”

University of Cincinnati-bound Kevin Johnson was “the man” for Summit Country Day against the Tigers. The 6-foot-2 senior guard scored 29 points, 16 in the second half, with 15 rebounds and five steals as the Silver Knights held off the Tigers for a 63-49 win in their Division III district championship game on Wednesday night at University of Dayton Arena.

Johnson was wearing the belt after the game.

“It says we don’t plan on losing the title,” he said. “It gives our team a little swagger.”

Junior guard Antonio Woods, who Bradley said is starting to generate some interest among Division I college coaches, finished with 13 points for Summit Country Day.

“We have probably two of the best guards in the country,” said the coach, who was wearing the state championship ring he said he puts on for every game. “Antonio’s coming into his own.”

Top-seeded Summit Country Day (24-1), the Enquirer’s Division II-IV coaches poll champion and the No. 1 team in the Associated Press Division III statewide poll, advances to a regional semifinal game against second-seeded Roger Bacon.

The regional semifinal is scheduled for next Wednesday at 8 p.m. at Kettering Fairmont’s James S. Trent Arena.

Johnson led Summit Country Day to a whopping 36-24 advantage in rebounding while sparking a defensive effort that forced West Liberty-Salem into 21 turnovers. The Silver Knights committed just 12.

“Sticking with the defense and playing hard on every possession,” Johnson said about the keys to the win. “It went the way it should’ve.”

“The rebounding was pretty lopsided,” Tigers coach Aaron Hollar said. “Every time we would get close and get a big stop, they would tip it or grab it and stick it back in. They’re athletic and pretty strong. We were worried about their transition, so we had to get back.”

[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&D...p;amp;q=60]
Summit Country Day's MaCio Teague (31) battles for a rebound against West Liberty-Salem's Jaiden Merrick (44), Landon Hormann (33) and Max Bailey (3) in the first quarter. Summit Country Day High School battles West Liberty-Salem High School in the Division III boys district finals at University of Dayton Arena, Thursday, March 7, 2013.

Bradley admitted Summit Country Day didn’t know much about the Tigers beyond what they learned from scouting their sectional championship game.

“We just try to take care of what we can take care of,” Bradley said. “We just try to focus on what we can do. We knew we could pressure their guards and force some turnovers.”

Free throws helped fifth-seeded West Liberty-Salem (20-6) stay in the game. The Tigers went 18-of-21 to the Silver Knights’ 11-of-15.

“They lived at the free throw line,” Johnson said.

The Silver Knights never trailed and led from the time Johnson made two free throws to snap a 2-2 tie with 5:48 left in the first quarter.

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20130307&...its-throne]
Summit Country Day's Kevin Johnson drives to the basket against West Liberty-Salem Thursday. Johnson scored a game-high 29 points. The Enquirer/Joseph Fuqua II / The Enquirer/ Joseph Fuqua II

Johnson had 13 points by the time the teams went to the locker room for halftime with Summit Country Day leading, 31-20. The Silver Knights expanded the lead to 17 points late in the third quarter, but fifth-seeded West Liberty-Salem (20-6) – behind 6-foot-5 senior Landon Hormann, who finished with 21 points, 13 in the second half – cut it to eight with 1:34 left in the game.

West Liberty-Salem (20-6) – Bailey 3 3 11, Mayse 4 0 9, Burden 1 4 6, Hormann 4 11 21, Burden 1 0 2. Totals: 13 18 49.

Summit Country Day (24-1) – Woos 5 2 13, Johnson 11 5 29, Barwick 2 2 6, Teague 2 2 6, Davis 2 2 6, Kreyenhagen 1 0 3. Totals: 23 11 63.

Halftime: Summit Country Day, 31-20. 3-pointers: W 5 (Bailey 2, Hormann 2, Mayse), S 6 (Johnson 2, Davis 2, Woods, Kreyenhagen).

03-08-2013 04:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: Summit knocks out another contender for its throne
Good stuff 04-rock Really looking forward to KJ.

03-08-2013 05:32 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
That is a pretty sick stat line. Go KJ.

03-08-2013 08:51 AM
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
My goodness Mick is really loading up on kids who know how to score.

03-08-2013 10:24 AM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
I do hope we keep this all in perspective. This is Division III.

It might take a couple of years before Kevin makes the transition to top level college guard, but from day one, we will be getting a leader, and person of character.

Some may realize that Summit has recruited several top kids who played on a level way above their high school competition, then went on to be starters at Division I college programs.

03-08-2013 11:49 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(03-08-2013 11:49 AM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  I do hope we keep this all in perspective. This is Division III.

It might take a couple of years before Kevin makes the transition to top level college guard, but from day one, we will be getting a leader, and person of character.

Some may realize that Summit has recruited several top kids who played on a level way above their high school competition, then went on to be starters at Division I college programs.

I'm with you, but the one thing that is keeping me very optimistic about KJ is that he has played very well on the AAU circuit.

03-08-2013 11:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.