Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MTSU basketball
Bookmark and Share
UofMBandGuy Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
MTSU basketball
I read somewhere they played the 9th toughest schedule in the country this year but when I looked I only saw Florida and then Akron and Belmont. Really? I mean Florida is the best team in a weak conference and I don't even know what conference Akron and Belmont are in. What am I missing? Seriously.
03-07-2013 09:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: MTSU basketball
(03-07-2013 09:36 PM)UofMBandGuy Wrote:  I read somewhere they played the 9th toughest schedule in the country this year but when I looked I only saw Florida and then Akron and Belmont. Really? I mean Florida is the best team in a weak conference and I don't even know what conference Akron and Belmont are in. What am I missing? Seriously.

All three play on a competition level similar to St. Louis. No need for your Tigers to worry about playing them.
03-07-2013 09:44 PM
UofMBandGuy Offline
Banned

I wasn't worried. Just wondered what made that schedule so tough.
03-07-2013 09:45 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(03-07-2013 09:36 PM)UofMBandGuy Wrote:  I read somewhere they played the 9th toughest schedule in the country this year but when I looked I only saw Florida and then Akron and Belmont. Really? I mean Florida is the best team in a weak conference and I don't even know what conference Akron and Belmont are in. What am I missing? Seriously.

Nice try. Being a little coy aren't we? I'm pretty sure you know who Belmont is.

SOS is usually determined by W/L pct. so yes it can be a bit misleading. Belmont is 22-6 (with a top 25 RPI). Akron is 23-5. Fla you know. We also beat UCF in OOC and they have 20 wins. Beat Ole Miss and they have 20+ wins. Beat Vandy who isn't terrible but not a 20-win team. That's pretty much our entire non-conf schedule.

Basically our only losses were to three conference champions and our worst loss was to Belmont who is a Top 25 caliber team this year and could win a couple of games in the tourney as long as they don't draw a "big" team.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 09:51 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
03-07-2013 09:50 PM
Advertisement

WKUApollo Online

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers

That reference was to their Out of Conference schedule, not their entire schedule. Based on realtimerpi.com, their SOS is 127th, but that includes SBC games. ;-(

As to their OOC schedule, I think the reason it was so high wasn't because they played a lot of high ranking teams but more that they didn't play a lot of really bad teams, unlike what most supposed "high profile programs" do. They played 4 Top 100 teams, 6 Teams ranked from 101-199, no teams in the 200's, and only one team in the 300's. Of the 11 OOC games, they finished 8-3. All three losses were to Top 100 teams. The only top 100 team they beat was Ole Miss in Murfreesboro.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 09:57 PM by WKUApollo.)
03-07-2013 09:54 PM
Heisman

We beat Ole Miss when they were undefeated and playing lights out. They have since fallen off a bit. My biggest concern is that we haven't really been tested in two months although Western played us pretty tough Saturday.

I feel like we have a team that's been sleep walking through a weak conference, and as soon as we have to play a really good team in the tournament we're going to struggle. I really wish we could have mixed in a tough non conf game or two in Feb but the geniuses in the SBC decided to put together a complete round robin 20-game conference schedule.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 09:56 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
03-07-2013 09:55 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

Their SOS is 127...not too good.
03-07-2013 10:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMBandGuy Offline
Banned

(03-07-2013 09:50 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

Nice try. Being a little coy aren't we? I'm pretty sure you know who Belmont is.

SOS is usually determined by W/L pct. so yes it can be a bit misleading. Belmont is 22-6 (with a top 25 RPI). Akron is 23-5. Fla you know. We also beat UCF in OOC and they have 20 wins. Beat Ole Miss and they have 20+ wins. Beat Vandy who isn't terrible but not a 20-win team. That's pretty much our entire non-conf schedule.

Basically our only losses were to three conference champions and our worst loss was to Belmont who is a Top 25 caliber team this year and could win a couple of games in the tourney as long as they don't draw a "big" team.

Coy? Not at all. I saw those other wins against Vandy and UCF and old mrs but those guys aren't world beaters. I would have thought some of the Big10/12 etc. schools would have had tougher schedules.

However I do see below that another poster mentions that reference is to the OCC. I'll buy that. The big league schools do play weak OCC. I wish we played a tougher OCC schedule. I'd rather have a few tough losses like at Xaiver than wins over some of the stiffs we played. But we need X number of buy games to pay the rent.
03-07-2013 10:00 PM
Heisman

Yeah, it's downright awful. Here's the RPI for the league. Not one other Top 100 team in the league...

We are 9-3 against teams in the top 150 though.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2013/c...Sun%20Belt
03-07-2013 10:02 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-07-2013 10:00 PM)UofMBandGuy Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 09:50 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

Coy? Not at all. I saw those other wins against Vandy and UCF and old mrs but those guys aren't world beaters. I would have thought some of the Big10/12 etc. schools would have had tougher schedules.

However I do see below that another poster mentions that reference is to the OCC. I'll buy that. The big league schools do play weak OCC. I wish we played a tougher OCC schedule. I'd rather have a few tough losses like at Xaiver than wins over some of the stiffs we played. But we need X number of buy games to pay the rent.

Our problem this season is we can't sign any series with teams until we know how our new conference is going to shake out...lame duck seasons suck...but in the words of Cal...it is what it is
03-07-2013 10:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Heisman

It's too bad we didn't play this year. We actually could have helped each other out (win or lose). Not many years we've been able to say that, but Kermit has finally figured out a way to recruit good basketball players to the Boro.
03-07-2013 10:09 PM
UofMBandGuy Offline
Banned

This is what I was referring to:

Middle Tennessee appeared a lock for the NCAA tournament last season, but losses in its last two games relegated it to the NIT. This season, led by six seniors, the Blue Raiders have done their best to make amends for last season's disappointment, setting a school record for wins and earning an RPI of 25 while playing against the nation's ninth-toughest schedule.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketba...ney-030713
03-07-2013 10:13 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-07-2013 10:09 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  It's too bad we didn't play this year. We actually could have helped each other out (win or lose). Not many years we've been able to say that, but Kermit has finally figured out a way to recruit good basketball players to the Boro.

If MTSU can stay at their current level, I agree.

I love to see Memphis and MTSU hook up in Nashville...good recruiting tool or both teams.
03-07-2013 10:14 PM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Although I think it is ridiculous, I heard Palm state today on the radio that MTSU needs to win their Tourney to assure inclusion in the field. I guess Memphis and MTSU share a common problem of conference strength perception.
03-07-2013 10:23 PM
Heisman

(03-07-2013 10:23 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Although I think it is ridiculous, I heard Palm state today on the radio that MTSU needs to win their Tourney to assure inclusion in the field. I guess Memphis and MTSU share a common problem of conference strength perception.

I'm a little nervous. I recall Utah St being Top 25 with a top 30 RPI a few years back and got snubbed.

I don't get the lack of respect for Memphis. You guys have always played tougher non-conf schedules.
03-07-2013 10:25 PM
Heisman

One of our other non-conf opponents (TSU) sits just outside the 100. They advanced to the OVC semis to face Belmont tomorrow. That may be enough to get them back into the top 100. UCF sits at 103 and if they beat USM they're back in the top 100, so we could end up with two more top 100 wins before it's all done.

The whole process is asinine but I guess they need metrics of some sort.
03-07-2013 10:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.