Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Looks Like We Are Keeping MSG
Bookmark and Share
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Looks Like We Are Keeping MSG
All the reports are saying we will keep our tournament in MSG. Im glad this will not be our last year at the Garden. On top of it being incredibly easy to get to the games, it is a real blast seeing all the different fan bases in and around the Garden. So much fun.
03-07-2013 06:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
RE: Looks Like We Are Keeping MSG
The Garden and the Big East basketball tournament make a whole lot of sense together.

Wow, something that makes sense. That's pretty cool.
03-07-2013 07:00 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
I never believed the rumors about the garden going to any one else. Not with StJs being a tenant. This should have never been in question.
03-07-2013 09:41 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
More like "The Garden is keeping us" than the other way around.

Kind of funny that this was presented as a negotiation between the 2 sides to determine who was going to keep MSG. Like they had any say in it. this was MSG's decision all along. As Mike in SEC said, did anyone really thing that The Garden wanted to host CUSA 2.0's conference tournament with no host school to guarantee ticket sales rather than the one with St. John's in town, Seton Hall right across the river, and others only a few hours drive away?
03-08-2013 10:17 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
The ACC can't start until 2016 IIRC...the devil will be in the details. Is it a 3-5 year contract or a 10 year contract?
03-08-2013 10:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-08-2013 10:37 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  The ACC can't start until 2016 IIRC...the devil will be in the details. Is it a 3-5 year contract or a 10 year contract?

Well if we keep the same contract it's for like 13 years I think.
03-08-2013 12:11 PM
Advertisement

nickp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ohio state
good news for The Garden
03-08-2013 12:34 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-08-2013 10:17 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  More like "The Garden is keeping us" than the other way around.

Kind of funny that this was presented as a negotiation between the 2 sides to determine who was going to keep MSG. Like they had any say in it. this was MSG's decision all along. As Mike in SEC said, did anyone really thing that The Garden wanted to host CUSA 2.0's conference tournament with no host school to guarantee ticket sales rather than the one with St. John's in town, Seton Hall right across the river, and others only a few hours drive away?

Well the issue was would they keep the contract then MSG would have to cancel the contract and we would have to negotiate a new contract and all that.
03-08-2013 12:36 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I'm curious of your opinions on this matter... Many ACC fans would love to see the tournament rotate between Greensboro Coliseum and Madison Square Garden. Would Big East fans enjoy rotating between MSG and United Center (Chicago Bulls Arena)? I think it'd be awesome if a deal like that could be worked out, and I'm sure MSG would love having the best of both worlds.
03-08-2013 02:20 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-08-2013 02:20 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I'm curious of your opinions on this matter... Many ACC fans would love to see the tournament rotate between Greensboro Coliseum and Madison Square Garden. Would Big East fans enjoy rotating between MSG and United Center (Chicago Bulls Arena)? I think it'd be awesome if a deal like that could be worked out, and I'm sure MSG would love having the best of both worlds.

No. Sorry but you left the big east which means leaving MSG behind. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.
03-08-2013 02:48 PM
FriarTuck420 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Providence
(03-08-2013 12:36 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 10:17 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  More like "The Garden is keeping us" than the other way around.

Well the issue was would they keep the contract then MSG would have to cancel the contract and we would have to negotiate a new contract and all that.

I dont think that it would have to be a rotation for the ACC. If the one of UNC or Duke change conferences and UCONN, BC, and Syracuse are in the ACC together, it would be a lock to bring the tourney to NYC. Weather Broklyn or Manhatten is one thing, but that tournament would raw very well. I'm not sure how the rules work with regards to time between games, but you can host at least four games a day.
03-08-2013 02:56 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

My point to the Cuse fans is if realignment never happened would you be open to rotating the big east tourny between MSG and Chicago? I think the answer would be no. The big east and MSG are the PB and chocolate of the college BBall world. It's just right.
03-08-2013 03:04 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(03-08-2013 02:20 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I'm curious of your opinions on this matter... Many ACC fans would love to see the tournament rotate between Greensboro Coliseum and Madison Square Garden. Would Big East fans enjoy rotating between MSG and United Center (Chicago Bulls Arena)? I think it'd be awesome if a deal like that could be worked out, and I'm sure MSG would love having the best of both worlds.

As a Chicagoan, that would be nice for me as a fan, but if I'm running the Big East, no, I wouldn't want that deal. There's only one arena in the country where the venue in and of itself adds value to an event, and that's Madison Square Garden. It's an inextricable part of the Big East brand.
03-08-2013 03:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigBCherney Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: g-town
(03-08-2013 03:22 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

As a Chicagoan, that would be nice for me as a fan, but if I'm running the Big East, no, I wouldn't want that deal. There's only one arena in the country where the venue in and of itself adds value to an event, and that's Madison Square Garden. It's an inextricable part of the Big East brand.

Keeping the relationship with MSG was even more important than keeping the Big East name, IMO
03-08-2013 03:34 PM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east

As a New Yorker, I'd like to see the BE tournament at MSG every year, although if I were a Marquette or Depaul fan, and lived there, I might feel differently about having it in the midwest. But I think it might be a moot point. If the ACC stays intact, I think you'll find a lot of old guard ACC people are resistant to playing it in NYC every other year. They may throw you a bone and be willing to come every once in a while, but it won't be often. Most BE fans would acknowledge that Jim Boeheim has been the face of this conference for a long time. I know you guys had your reasons for leaving, but you're going from a situation where you were the ultimate insider, to a situation where you'll be a perennial outsider. I have an immediate family member that was a scholarship ACC athlete, and they're nice people and avid sports fans, and all that, but you're going to find plenty of "catdaddys" in your new travels. You'll be expected to adjust to their customs and traditions, not the other way around. Trust me on that one.
03-08-2013 04:06 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

What's a "catdaddy"?
03-08-2013 04:17 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2013 04:17 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  What's a "catdaddy"?

He's a Clemson fan who one day did a complete 180 and started a hate campaign against the ACC. Things he hates include - the north, the state of North Carolina and everything in it, and sports that aren't football or baseball. He's currently banned right now, I'm not sure why. I know he's not a fan of any of the mods on these boards except for Joey, and that may have changed, who knows.

http://csnbbs.com/member.php?action=profile&uid=7311
03-08-2013 06:09 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-08-2013 06:09 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 04:17 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  What's a "catdaddy"?

He's a Clemson fan who one day did a complete 180 and started a hate campaign against the ACC. Things he hates include - the north, the state of North Carolina and everything in it, and sports that aren't football or baseball. He's currently banned right now, I'm not sure why. I know he's not a fan of any of the mods on these boards except for Joey, and that may have changed, who knows.

http://csnbbs.com/member.php?action=profile&uid=7311

Oh THAT catdaddy
03-08-2013 06:51 PM
MUAvalanche Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(03-08-2013 04:06 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  As a New Yorker, I'd like to see the BE tournament at MSG every year, although if I were a Marquette or Depaul fan, and lived there, I might feel differently about having it in the midwest.

As a Marquette alum who has been to the BET in NYC, I would never move it to Chicago, Indianapolis or anywhere else if you can help it. MSG is the perfect location.
03-09-2013 10:25 AM
thatsnotgrass Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BEast!!!!
8th consecutive years Big East sells out the tournament. Never sold in public in almost a decade. Yeah, I think its going to stay in NYC
03-09-2013 09:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.