Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VCU Thread
Bookmark and Share
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
VCU Talk
All VCU talk will happen here. No need to clog up all other threads with the same conversation.
03-06-2013 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
RE: VCU Talk
So who is going to talk to Bragg and Stever?
03-06-2013 09:35 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I'll say this- whoever sees VCU in their bracket isn't going to be happy- especially if they're a 6 or 7 seed. I do wonder if they beat Temple on Sunday, then win the conference tourney if they won't get like a 4-5 seed. 28-6 and white hot.

If they don't get in the C7- it really is a shame. They show every indication of being a major force here in the next few years with this system they play. And- I'd say it's a system that in the postseason where you get 1 day to prepare for it- that's brutal.
03-06-2013 10:27 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-06-2013 10:27 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I'll say this- whoever sees VCU in their bracket isn't going to be happy- especially if they're a 6 or 7 seed. I do wonder if they beat Temple on Sunday, then win the conference tourney if they won't get like a 4-5 seed. 28-6 and white hot.

If they don't get in the C7- it really is a shame. They show every indication of being a major force here in the next few years with this system they play. And- I'd say it's a system that in the postseason where you get 1 day to prepare for it- that's brutal.

Too bad we're looking for something more long term than "the next few years".
03-06-2013 10:37 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(03-06-2013 10:37 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 10:27 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I'll say this- whoever sees VCU in their bracket isn't going to be happy- especially if they're a 6 or 7 seed. I do wonder if they beat Temple on Sunday, then win the conference tourney if they won't get like a 4-5 seed. 28-6 and white hot.

The thing is, if you are a major force for a few years- when does it become long term? I mean- let's say they make another final 4. Doesn't that start to perpetuate itself at that point? You act like they just are good for 2-3 years and then just stop. What on the floor has given you that indication at all?
03-06-2013 10:41 PM
gorams05 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Vcu
St. John's has certainly had great deal of long term success.
03-06-2013 11:01 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-06-2013 10:41 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

The thing is, if you are a major force for a few years- when does it become long term? I mean- let's say they make another final 4. Doesn't that start to perpetuate itself at that point? You act like they just are good for 2-3 years and then just stop. What on the floor has given you that indication at all?

Lots of leaps of faiths and assumptions there.
03-06-2013 11:08 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-06-2013 11:01 PM)gorams05 Wrote:  St. John's has certainly had great deal of long term success.

7th in all time wins. Oh and we have been playing in the toughest conference for the last 34 years.
03-06-2013 11:10 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(03-06-2013 11:08 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Can't you ever just answer a question? You don't want to give VCU ANY credit for what they have done. Like you resent them or something personal. They could win the NCAA tourney and you would still say they are just a flash.
03-06-2013 11:31 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-06-2013 11:31 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 11:08 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Can't you ever just answer a question? You don't want to give VCU ANY credit for what they have done. Like you resent them or something personal. They could win the NCAA tourney and you would still say they are just a flash.

Answer what? Some hypothetical question about VCU getting to another hypothetical final four? C'mon Stever, what about the flip side to that? Anyone can ask hypotheticals.

Also Stever, you are clearly the only one here taking things personally.
03-06-2013 11:41 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
(03-06-2013 09:30 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  All VCU talk will happen here. No need to clog up all other threads with the same conversation.

Thank you.
03-06-2013 11:44 PM
Advertisement

College Basketball Fan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: D1 Basketball
(03-06-2013 10:37 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Too bad we're looking for something more long term than "the next few years".

I hear this sentiment every time VCU is brought up. It appears people think they will be worse long-term than other options, but I have seen nothing that says that. In fact, VCU has had more consistent success than several other candidates even if you ignore their Final Four run.

Ignoring VCU's Final Four, they have 10 appearances and 5 wins since 1980. Here is what everyone else has done in that time:

Dayton: 7 appearances, 4 wins
Saint Louis: 5 appearances, 2 wins
Creighton: 11 appearances, 4 wins
Richmond: 9 appearances, 7 wins
Wichita State: 6 appearances, 5 wins *homer inclusion

Get the picture? They aren't a random spark like George Mason. They have a good young coach, but he isn't the only reason they've had success. They've gone to the NCAA tournament with 5 different coaches under that time period, with 3 different coaches getting wins.

If you are going by consistent success, than VCU is going to be your best bet outside of Xavier, Butler, and Gonzaga.
03-06-2013 11:49 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(03-06-2013 11:49 PM)College Basketball Fan Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 10:37 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Too bad we're looking for something more long term than "the next few years".

I hear this sentiment every time VCU is brought up. It appears people think they will be worse long-term than other options, but I have seen nothing that says that. In fact, VCU has had more consistent success than several other candidates even if you ignore their Final Four run.

Ignoring VCU's Final Four, they have 10 appearances and 5 wins since 1980. Here is what everyone else has done in that time:

Get the picture? They aren't a random spark like George Mason. They have a good young coach, but he isn't the only reason they've had success. They've gone to the NCAA tournament with 5 different coaches under that time period, with 3 different coaches getting wins.

If you are going by consistent success, than VCU is going to be your best bet outside of Xavier, Butler, and Gonzaga.

Of course- but these folks just want to dismiss what VCU has done on the court to feel better about themselves. If VCU was doing what Butler is doing in the A10, they'd be all over that saying the step up in conference competition they can't handle. But with VCU having the success they can't acknowledge that at all. Then someone puts on the boards that it's Georgetown and JT III that doesn't want them for basketball reasons, but then doesn't have the guts to put what that is.
03-07-2013 12:02 AM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Richmond
Richmond is 9 appearances, 8 wins.... Just saying.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 12:20 AM by bostonspider.)
03-07-2013 12:16 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(03-07-2013 12:16 AM)bostonspider Wrote:  Richmond is 9 appearances, 8 wins.... Just saying.

yep. still to this day one of my favorite ones ever when they beat Syracuse at old Cole Field House. Dick Tarrant. It would have been interesting to see how far he could have taken you guys in a scenario like you're in now.
03-07-2013 12:23 AM
HoyaAnt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgetown
St. John's 7th all time but like the old Janet Jackson song goes, what have you done for me lately, St. JOHN'S? No offense, but the last person to be critical of any team sucess should be St. John's. The days of Chris Mullin, Walter Berry, Mark Jackson and even the most overrated player in the history of the McDonalds All american game era, Mr.Lopez seem like many moons ago. I rather have VCU than Richmond or Dayton for that matter. They have a young coach who has his program in the right direction and seems committed to staying for the long ride just like Coach Thompson. Having a strong league with as many rank teams will loom big in the eyes of many which will help dissolve any notion we are consider a mid -major conference despite having the Big East name. In addition, we will be considered one the best basketball conferences in america which is big in the eyes of future recruits. Having teams like VCU and Gonzaga will help allievate the present bottom feeder teams such as Seton Hall, Depaul and the 7th best team ever, St. JOHN'S.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 12:42 AM by HoyaAnt.)
03-07-2013 12:25 AM
Advertisement

muskienick Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Xavier
(03-07-2013 12:25 AM)HoyaAnt Wrote:  St. John's 7th all time but like the old Janet Jackson song goes, what have you done for me lately, St. JOHN'S? No offense, but the last person to be critical of any team sucess should be St. John's. The days of Chris Mullin, Walter Berry, Mark Jackson and even the most overrated player in the history of the McDonalds All american game Fllipe Lopez seem like many moons ago. I rather have VCU than Richmond or Dayton for that matter. They have a young coach who has his program in the right direction and seems committed to staying for the long ride just like Coach Thompson. Having a strong league with as many rank team will loom big in the eyes of many which will help dissolve any notion we are consider mid major conference despite having the Big East name. Having teams like VCU and Gonzaga will help allievate the bottom feeder teams such as Seton Hall, Depaul and the 7th best team ever, St. JOHN'S.

Amen HoyaAnt!!! If we wind up with the C7 + Butler, Creighton, SLU, VCU, and Xavier, I would be ecstatic.
03-07-2013 12:32 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-07-2013 12:02 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Of course- but these folks just want to dismiss what VCU has done on the court to feel better about themselves. If VCU was doing what Butler is doing in the A10, they'd be all over that saying the step up in conference competition they can't handle. But with VCU having the success they can't acknowledge that at all. Then someone puts on the boards that it's Georgetown and JT III that doesn't want them for basketball reasons, but then doesn't have the guts to put what that is.

Ya got me. Ya figured out my whole scheme. I suffer from such depression and low self esteem that I purposely come on here and tell people that I think Dayton will be in the Big East. Yup, thats the whole shebang.

Oh and by the way, VCU was getting in through the Sun Belt and CAA while the other schools were playing through CUSA, A-10 and MVC which are all tougher than those two leagues.
03-07-2013 12:34 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-07-2013 12:25 AM)HoyaAnt Wrote:  St. John's 7th all time but like the old Janet Jackson song goes, what have you done for me lately, St. JOHN'S? No offense, but the last person to be critical of any team sucess should be St. John's. The days of Chris Mullin, Walter Berry, Mark Jackson and even the most overrated player in the history of the McDonalds All american game era, Mr.Lopez seem like many moons ago. I rather have VCU than Richmond or Dayton for that matter. They have a young coach who has his program in the right direction and seems committed to staying for the long ride just like Coach Thompson. Having a strong league with as many rank teams will loom big in the eyes of many which will help dissolve any notion we are consider a mid -major conference despite having the Big East name. In addition will be considered one the best basketball conferences in america which is big in the eyes of future recruits. Having teams like VCU and Gonzaga will help allievate the present bottom feeder teams such as Seton Hall, Depaul and the 7th best team ever, St. JOHN'S.

Oh im sorry, I forgot that Georgetown is in charge. Guys stop posting Georgetown is in charge. None of us can have an opinion.

03-07-2013 12:38 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(03-07-2013 12:34 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 12:02 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Ya got me. Ya figured out my whole scheme. I suffer from such depression and low self esteem that I purposely come on here and tell people that I think Dayton will be in the Big East. Yup, thats the whole shebang.

Oh and by the way, VCU was getting in through the Sun Belt and CAA while the other schools were playing through CUSA, A-10 and MVC which are all tougher than those two leagues.

Sun Belt back in the early 80's was stronger than you think. Top 7-8 conference. And- CAA may have been weaker- but most years the difference was negligible.
03-07-2013 12:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.