Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Grade Mick Cronin's coaching career at UC so far (7 seasons)?
A+
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Mick Cronin: Grade his entire 7 year coaching performance
Bookmark and Share
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
Mick Cronin: Grade his entire 7 year coaching performance
With one more regular season game to go, and hopefully a few more to come this season, Mick is finishing up his 7th season as head coach at UC. Just for fun, what grade would you give his coaching career so far at UC?

03-07-2013 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CincyBearcatFan86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC/USC/Miami-FL
RE: Mick Cronin: Grade his entire 7 year coaching performance
B-

03-07-2013 12:00 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
A+ for pulling us out of the sh** hole we were in and the way he handled the X debacle and turned it into a Sweet 16 season

B- for recruiting and X and O's .

overall B+ I guess.

I like Mick . His stock was at its highest at the end of last year and that has taken a step back this year , whether it is his fault or not . The dude cant control injuries.

03-07-2013 12:10 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Gave him a B, would have given him an A prior to this season. I don't think he's done a poor job coaching this season but I think this roster has been horribly constructed this season and that falls on him.

03-07-2013 12:15 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
I gave him a B. He inherited a mess but again that was 7 years ago. Crean inherited just as big a mess at Indiana and they just won at least a share of the conference title in the best conference in college hoops. Digging UC out of the mess was awesome. It was at times painful to watch, but it was great seeing UC in the tournament.

That said I think Lance Stephenson's team showed so much promise early and then drastically underachieved the last 10 games. That team was tournament caliber and yet fell apart down the stretch. This team has drastically underachieved as well. I have seen plenty of teams without big time post threats have really good seasons. The problem I have seen and the reason I cannot give Cronin and A is he has never been able to produce a good offense. Even his best teams were competent at best on the offensive side of the ball. If he can ever get a team to perform offensively like it does defensively and rebounding (or hell even just a good offense, not great)...UC will have arrived where it needs to be (a top 15 program year in and year out).

My hope is that being a tournament team is not the cap for the Cronin era. I want a team that can compete for conference titles in any conference in the country. I want a team that is regularly (not necessarily every year) a top 15 team by tournament time. That is the level Cronin needs to get the program to for me to want him to be around for 7 more years. He gets a B so far, and so far that is good enough for me. But I think over the next 3 seasons we need to see this program get to the next level.

03-07-2013 01:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
I gave him a B+, but easily could have given him something lower. All I know is that he wasn't getting and A or a C.

03-07-2013 01:10 PM
Advertisement

coachpipe Offline
1st String

(03-07-2013 01:03 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I gave him a B. He inherited a mess but again that was 7 years ago. Crean inherited just as big a mess at Indiana and they just won at least a share of the conference title in the best conference in college hoops. Digging UC out of the mess was awesome. It was at times painful to watch, but it was great seeing UC in the tournament.

That said I think Lance Stephenson's team showed so much promise early and then drastically underachieved the last 10 games. That team was tournament caliber and yet fell apart down the stretch. This team has drastically underachieved as well. I have seen plenty of teams without big time post threats have really good seasons. The problem I have seen and the reason I cannot give Cronin and A is he has never been able to produce a good offense. Even his best teams were competent at best on the offensive side of the ball. If he can ever get a team to perform offensively like it does defensively and rebounding (or hell even just a good offense, not great)...UC will have arrived where it needs to be (a top 15 program year in and year out).

My hope is that being a tournament team is not the cap for the Cronin era. I want a team that can compete for conference titles in any conference in the country. I want a team that is regularly (not necessarily every year) a top 15 team by tournament time. That is the level Cronin needs to get the program to for me to want him to be around for 7 more years. He gets a B so far, and so far that is good enough for me. But I think over the next 3 seasons we need to see this program get to the next level.
This

03-07-2013 01:11 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
(03-07-2013 01:03 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I gave him a B. He inherited a mess but again that was 7 years ago. Crean inherited just as big a mess at Indiana and they just won at least a share of the conference title in the best conference in college hoops. Digging UC out of the mess was awesome. It was at times painful to watch, but it was great seeing UC in the tournament.

In other words, you wish Cronin's teams resembled his mentor Pitino more than it resembles his mentor Huggins. Hehehe.

Huggins had that great defense with questionable offense. Pitino's teams seem to have both. And Pitino is known for his teams peaking around March Madness. Huggins teams tended to flame out come March.

03-07-2013 01:13 PM
bearcatmark Online

(03-07-2013 01:13 PM)BearChatter v2.0 Wrote:  

In other words, you wish Cronin's teams resembled his mentor Pitino more than it resembles his mentor Huggins. Hehehe.

Huggins had that great defense with questionable offense. Pitino's teams seem to have both. And Pitino is known for his teams peaking around March Madness. Huggins teams tended to flame out come March.

Go back and look at the offensive efficiency of the Huggins teams that had a go to scorer or a top pg...They were much better offensive teams than you remember. Pitino's offenses have often been lacking as well. Last years Louisville team for instance was not in the top 100 in offense. The big difference this year is Pitino now has a good offense (not great, but very good). Huggins had a few mediocre offensive teams, but he also had some very good ones.

03-07-2013 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Gave Mick an A. Given where the program was when he took over and where he's taken the program (the problems the last few weeks aside), it's clear he's done a sensational job here. Plus look at the environment around him: he's working with a smaller budget than his competitors, major teams are leaving his conference left and right, the conference he's playing in is a national laughing stock, he has an outdated arena that's only now seeing consistently high attendance, and he's working in a city that still hasn't fully backed him.

Given all of that, no way I can grade Mick with a mark lower than A.

03-07-2013 01:19 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(03-07-2013 12:10 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  A+ for pulling us out of the sh** hole we were in and the way he handled the X debacle and turned it into a Sweet 16 season

B- for recruiting and X and O's .

overall B+ I guess.

I like Mick . His stock was at its highest at the end of last year and that has taken a step back this year , whether it is his fault or not . The dude cant control injuries.

My gut response was a B-, but I like this analysis. He's been exceptional at some things, mediocre at others, and just terrible at others.

03-07-2013 01:20 PM
Advertisement

BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I gave him a B. He did a great job digging us out of practically the death penalty and I'm not going to ding him because of what Crean did as it is easier to rebuild at IU and UC since the IU name alone will get your into recruiting doors Mick could only dream about opening.

Still learning the ropes and hopefully he can continue in the right direction and add some better offense to go with the defense in the near future.

03-07-2013 01:22 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
A-

03-07-2013 01:28 PM
bearcatmark Online

I decided to pull up UC's offensive efficiency rankings by year. The earliest year I could find was 97-98, but I think this really illustrates what I was saying. In Mick's 7 years he has only had 1 offense that ranked higher than Huggins' worst offense of Huggins last 8 years at UC. People really misremember Huggs' offenses. They rarely were great (2001-2002 and 99-2000 were pretty awesome), but were often good to very good.
97-98 49th
98-99 30th
99-2000 15th
2000-01 21st
2001-2002 7th
2002-03 133rd (yea that was pretty bad, worst Huggs UC team after his first 2 years)
2003-04 13th
2004-05 41st
2005-06 95th
2006-07 229th
2007-08 226th
2008-09 143rd
2009-10 149th
2010-11 56th
2011-12 102nd
2012-13 154th

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketb...efficiency

03-07-2013 01:30 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
Holy hell that's painful to look at.

03-07-2013 01:31 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?

++

Plusses: Works hard, runs clean program, has taken program from disaster zone to middle-of-the-pack.

Minuses: Players don't get better over their careers, teams don't get better over the season, low-skill players, boring to watch, not recruiting at high enough level to compete with top of conference.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 01:40 PM by Former Lurker.)
03-07-2013 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
Where we are is OK, as long as we're on the way back to where we used to be, but not as a long-term plateau.

03-07-2013 01:44 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
B to B+. He gets an A for the recovery effort of the first few years. He gets a B for having a talented enough team the last three years yet regressing with those teams in 2 of the 3 years. Last year the team grew and improved. This year and two years ago he had enough talent to do better than what they've done. That makes me give him a B over the last three seasons. Combine them and I'd again say B or B+.

03-07-2013 01:44 PM
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
C + Recruiting has been fair to just OK. He needs to recruit some spot shooters. I saw one at the Kentucky High School tournament today and Yesterday.
Omar Prewitt 6'5 Montgomery County High he can shoot the three and has good ball skills
Jamonte Davis 6'8 Hopkinsville High strong and good shooter.
James Bolden 6'1 guard Covington Holmes High great ball handler and good off the dribble can shoot the three very well.

03-07-2013 02:02 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I am still in the camp that moving to a weaker conference will help this program more than many will admit. Good teams look bad in conferences like the Big East, ACC, or Big Ten because there is talent across the board and teams are good enough to exploit your weaknesses.

You can win in weaker leagues without a good big man. You can also win in the NCAA tournament without a good big man. You can't win in the Big East without a good big man because the game is not called very tight and teams will foul you to death so that you wings and guards can't get good looks.

Yancy's junior and senior season provided UC with their best Big East record. Eric Hicks playing the post by himself got the Cats to .500 in the league. Hoping that Vaughn, SK, or whoever our go to guard is each season will shoot the Cats to victory is a dangerous formula.

03-07-2013 02:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.