Bookmark and Share
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Just posted by McMurphy
Just saw this:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ources-say

the big stuff:
The seven schools will depart on June 30 and will begin their new league on July 1, sources said. They are expected to add Butler and Xavier and likely Creighton to have at least a 10-team basketball league for the 2013-14 season, according to sources.

Dayton and St. Louis are the leading candidates to increase the league's membership to 12 teams for the 2014-15 season, sources said.

Doesn't seem like 11 or 12 is a done deal by any stretch of the imagination.
03-07-2013 01:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: Just posted by McMurphy
(03-07-2013 01:13 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Just saw this:

the big stuff:
The seven schools will depart on June 30 and will begin their new league on July 1, sources said. They are expected to add Butler and Xavier and likely Creighton to have at least a 10-team basketball league for the 2013-14 season, according to sources.

Dayton and St. Louis are the leading candidates to increase the league's membership to 12 teams for the 2014-15 season, sources said.

MY imagination would think that the leading candidates would be in the...you know...lead.
03-07-2013 01:20 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-07-2013 01:20 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

the big stuff:

MY imagination would think that the leading candidates would be in the...you know...lead.

right, but wasn't the column last week saying they were definitely in? From last weeks column:
While Butler, Xavier and, most likely, Creighton are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league.

The column this week seems at least somewhat less definitive about that I'd say. Last week, ESPN made it seem like Dayton and SLU were done deals. This week, just leading candidates. Could just be semantics, but seems like a pretty big difference.
03-07-2013 01:24 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-07-2013 01:24 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

the big stuff:

right, but wasn't the column last week saying they were definitely in? From last weeks column:
While Butler, Xavier and, most likely, Creighton are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league.

The column this week seems at least somewhat less definitive about that I'd say. Last week, ESPN made it seem like Dayton and SLU were done deals. This week, just leading candidates. Could just be semantics, but seems like a pretty big difference.

No, it's the same thing. Dayton and St. Louis were said to be the likely adds and here it is again saying the three for next season and the two who will likely also be added. To me it just makes sense to announce all 5 at once and if they are making this announcement within days then it's probably a good bet that they have all 5 lined up and ready to go.
03-07-2013 01:30 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-07-2013 01:30 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

the big stuff:

No, it's the same thing. Dayton and St. Louis were said to be the likely adds and here it is again saying the three for next season and the two who will likely also be added. To me it just makes sense to announce all 5 at once and if they are making this announcement within days then it's probably a good bet that they have all 5 lined up and ready to go.

I really don't see it as the same thing. Last week made it seem like decision was done and just a formality. To say that 2 are leading candidates means there's still some deciding to do.

Just saying- remember the thread about fox wanting to make a splash.

Also- interesting comments by Dayton President Curran today:
“When push comes to shove, those (presidents) have to make the decisions that are best for their institutions. …. The good thing is, the fact we’re in the A-10, and it is a strong conference — we’re blessed with that. We’ll just have to wait and see,” Curran said.

Hardly seems like something one would say if they knew for sure they would be in the Big East now is it?
03-07-2013 01:35 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-07-2013 01:35 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

the big stuff:

I really don't see it as the same thing. Last week made it seem like decision was done and just a formality. To say that 2 are leading candidates means there's still some deciding to do.

“When push comes to shove, those (presidents) have to make the decisions that are best for their institutions. …. The good thing is, the fact we’re in the A-10, and it is a strong conference — we’re blessed with that. We’ll just have to wait and see,” Curran said.

Hardly seems like something one would say if they knew for sure they would be in the Big East now is it?

[Image: grasping+at+straws.jpg]
03-07-2013 01:50 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

this is the article with the quote:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/spor...job/nWjNs/

oh and look at THIS quote:
But Fox TV, which is negotiating with the new Big East, likely will decide where it wants to go and how big a footprint it wants to have.

sure sounds like Fox has a LOT of control in this process now, doesn't it?
03-07-2013 01:55 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-07-2013 01:50 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 01:20 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  MY imagination would think that the leading candidates would be in the...you know...lead.

now gee, who is making it personal bud???

btw, the Dayton folks on a Dayton message board are FREAKING OUT about the article.
03-07-2013 01:56 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-07-2013 01:56 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 01:50 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 01:24 AM)stever20 Wrote:  right, but wasn't the column last week saying they were definitely in? From last weeks column:

now gee, who is making it personal bud???

btw, the Dayton folks on a Dayton message board are FREAKING OUT about the article.

That wasn't personal, was an honest assessment of that idea.
03-07-2013 02:00 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-07-2013 01:55 AM)stever20 Wrote:  this is the article with the quote:

But Fox TV, which is negotiating with the new Big East, likely will decide where it wants to go and how big a footprint it wants to have.

I don't see anything that leads me to the conclusions you are presenting.

These things you keep propping up as proof really aren't anything.
03-07-2013 02:06 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-07-2013 02:06 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

the conclusions I'm drawing are the same ones Dayton fans are drawing on their boards.... They are scared to death....
03-07-2013 02:21 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-07-2013 02:21 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

the conclusions I'm drawing are the same ones Dayton fans are drawing on their boards.... They are scared to death....

Thats great. I still don't see VCU being mentioned.
03-07-2013 02:26 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-07-2013 02:26 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

who the hell brought up VCU. All I am saying is it doesn't sound like your Thamel 5 is a done deal by ANY stretch of the imagination- in the ESPN story tonight it's no where near as definitive as last week's story was..
03-07-2013 02:33 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-07-2013 02:33 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 02:26 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

who the hell brought up VCU. All I am saying is it doesn't sound like your Thamel 5 is a done deal by ANY stretch of the imagination- in the ESPN story tonight it's no where near as definitive as last week's story was..

If you say so...
03-07-2013 02:40 AM
JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: upsets
It's funny to me how little difference between reporters in these situations and people like us on a message board.

Like anyone with knowledge of what's going on is actually going to say anything of substance on the record.

"decisions that are best for the institution? Our current conference is a strong conference? We’ll just have to wait and see?" It's like they were sitting with Crash Davis in the back of the bus practicing for when their schools got called up to the Conference Realignment Rumor Mill Major League.

The ADs and reports actually sound a lot alike. I bet when UD calls Xavier and Butler, they sound not much different than the DDN asking the ADs at Marquette and Georgetown
03-07-2013 03:32 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
I really don't see much here. Different ways of saying that SLU and Dayton are the most likely #11 and #12 MAY mean small changes in probability between this article and last article, more likely it means that McMurphy isn't just cutting and pasting his articles.

Maybe Dayton fans are panicking over the article, but I'd advise them to sit tight. It's not like panicking is going to help. On the other hand it won't hurt, so go nuts.
03-07-2013 05:38 AM
Advertisement

JAY DOG Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Creighton
Gang,
Creighon Bluejay fan here excited that today appears to be the big day for us, as we travel today to likely our final Arch Madness MVC tourney this weekend in St. Louis, where we have dominated over the lat 15 years. This announcement will make our last (hopefully) run in The Lou both awesome and bittersweet at the same time!
Hopefully we will be headed back there soon to play Big East Western Division rival SLU no later than 2014!
03-07-2013 07:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier
Interesting that Richmond has kinda fallen off the map (or at least, being less discussed), considering all the talk by Andy katz about their close relationship with Georgetown.
03-07-2013 08:10 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Dayton fans aren't getting nervous over the McMurphy (which really doesn't say anything different than what was said last week), but rather an interview with Dayton's president that, depending upon the view, wasn't very comforting. I think they're reading much into it (just as we're reading way too much into whether "likely" suddenly means everything is up in the air).
03-07-2013 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(03-07-2013 08:10 AM)bmorex Wrote:  Interesting that Richmond has kinda fallen off the map (or at least, being less discussed), considering all the talk by Andy katz about their close relationship with Georgetown.

If Richmond had VCU's resume, they'd probably be lock because the East Coast members probably want another eastern private school very badly. The problem is that all of the Midwestern schools have stronger programs and fan bases. Dayton is essentially the same TV market size as Richmond, so that's a wash. However, Dayton's fan support is pretty massive - it's one of the best track records for attendance in all of college basketball. Dayton also has 3 times the enrollment - it might be a private school, but it's not exactly small (whereas there are tons of high schools in Virginia that are larger than U of Richmond). I think the powers that be really want to like Richmond, but upon closer examination, they're finding it harder and harder to overlook Dayton, which meets so many other criteria better.
03-07-2013 08:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.