UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Passed through UAB yesterday...
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Passed through UAB yesterday...
Site that, I assume, would be the northern part of the proposed OCS (previously razed old BOE building UAB bought?) being excavated. Looks like a parking lot(?) going in...
03-05-2013 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Passed through UAB yesterday...
That sounds like the old Lane School site. The school faced 13th (east) and the west side was all parking area as the building was used for "professional development" classes that met after school hours and on Saturdays. I think all that has been moved to Davis School on 4th Ave, South. During that time it also housed the film "lending" library before everything went to DVD. Back when Ullman was a city high school, Lane was a "feeder school" for it.

Has anyone heard of how the space will be utilized in the UAB "Master Plan"?
03-05-2013 12:08 PM
sadolakced Offline
Special Teams

I'm not really in the know about these things, but here's what I think is going to happen with the on-campus stadium:

First, the entire area will be converted to remote parking. This allows demolition and some ground-prep to be paid for under a different budget, and with parking the way it is at UAB it's fully justified.

Once the bus system is up and running, parking lots across 65 will be built as well.

As far as if the stadium will get built? That depends. That depends largely on winning football games.

If we can start winning, we can build more attendance at legion, and we can get more donations rolling in. UAB football needs to look like it's on a significant upward trend. Then we'll get the stadium.

I'd say it's 5 years. In 5 years we'll either have the stadium, or we never will.
03-05-2013 12:14 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

There's a lot of excavation going on for the baseball stadium. They've had to move a lot of utilities. No official projects have been announced (even parking) for UAB on that end of campus lately
03-05-2013 12:25 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
You will see one announced in the next 6 months. No its not the stadium but I think folks will be happy.
03-05-2013 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(03-05-2013 12:43 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  You will see one announced in the next 6 months. No its not the stadium but I think folks will be happy.

[Image: Insider_Exclusive_Logo_150x150.jpg]
03-05-2013 12:46 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Might be. Since I am having a meeting with the University about it I might know.
03-05-2013 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(03-05-2013 12:47 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Might be. Since I am having a meeting with the University about it I might know.

Are you violating the Open Meetings Act?

03-lmfao
03-05-2013 12:51 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Nope
03-05-2013 12:54 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(03-05-2013 12:25 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  There's a lot of excavation going on for the baseball stadium. They've had to move a lot of utilities. No official projects have been announced (even parking) for UAB on that end of campus lately

Pretty sure it has been approved. Campus planning director, Sheila Chaffin, has gone before the Bham Design Review Committee and was approved to use the site of the former BOE building as a remote parking lot.
03-05-2013 12:54 PM
Dpickren Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTC Mocs & UAB
(03-05-2013 12:43 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  You will see one announced in the next 6 months. No its not the stadium but I think folks will be happy.

Ok I will be happy then02-13-banana.. if you say so... But it better have something to do with football
03-05-2013 12:56 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Lets just say you might be happy.
03-05-2013 12:59 PM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
Outdoor Convocation and Events Facility
03-05-2013 12:59 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-05-2013 11:41 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Site that, I assume, would be the northern part of the proposed OCS (previously razed old BOE building UAB bought?) being excavated. Looks like a parking lot(?) going in...

Is it difficult for you to make a post that doesn't have a link?
03-05-2013 01:33 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
I guess Attalla is hinting at the endzone building that is to house football offices. As long as the stadium can be built around it later, I think it is a great idea.
03-05-2013 01:38 PM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
(03-05-2013 01:33 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 11:41 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Site that, I assume, would be the northern part of the proposed OCS (previously razed old BOE building UAB bought?) being excavated. Looks like a parking lot(?) going in...

Is it difficult for you to make a post that doesn't have a link?
Like this?
after click, do nothing!
03-05-2013 01:45 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Maybe. It's on the master plan.
03-05-2013 01:48 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Sounds right. Between UAB wanting to play things close to the vest and the normal concerns about leaking information that a business has, sometimes things are kept a bit quiet. If there's a building bid but the contract has not been awarded, you can see how talking about it could get an employee in hot water.

Or something similar...
03-05-2013 02:12 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Nothing bid yet. Expect an announcement in the next 6 months.
03-05-2013 02:15 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe we can do it in stages. First the football office/support facility with lockerrooms. Then concessions and restrooms for the players and staff that are practicing and working nearby. Then a new media room/department that happens to overlook a central greenspace. etc etc
03-05-2013 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.