Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Latest Rumor
Bookmark and Share
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
Latest Rumor
On the largest Hoya message board, rumor that Uconn to join BE7.

Anyone else hearing something like that?
03-04-2013 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Latest Rumor
If someone was going to do that, it would be UConn. Just the history etc. Also how old their football program is. Still, surprising given how possible it seems an ACC spot would be.
03-04-2013 05:44 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
I doubt this very much.
03-04-2013 05:45 PM
HoyaAnt Offline
Water Engineer

The poster on Hoyatalk is considered realiable so I wouldn't doubt that he is actually hearing legit rumors out in UCONN land. Let's face it, basketball is the money sport for UConn, and not football. However, I am not sure about Uconn being a part of the NBE, but them Joining the ACC is not a slam dunk as people think. The feud between UConn and Boston College is straight out Nasty as Boston College has blood blood towards them big Time! Also, word has it that Duke University is not a fan of them either. The Big Ten, SEC, and BIG 12 is not going after them because their football team is GARBAGE. Uconn better hope they land in the ACC, because if not, they may have to join the MAC and hope the NBE would take them just for the sake of keeping their basketball program alive and well. If UCONN is willing to wave their media rights in order to join the NBE, then I will take them in a heart beat. They are also a long time member of the Big East which is why the NBE will take them as well.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 06:06 PM by HoyaAnt.)
03-04-2013 05:53 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(03-04-2013 05:53 PM)HoyaAnt Wrote:  I am not sure about Uconn joining, but them Joining the ACC is not a slam dunk. The feud between UConn and Boston College is straight out Nasty as Boston College has blood blood towards them big Time! Also, word has it that Duke University is not a fan of them either. The Big Ten SEC, and BIG 12 is not going after them because their football team is GARBAGE. Uconn better hope they land in the ACC, because if not, they may have to join the MAC and hope the NBE would take them just for the sake of keeping their basketball program alive and well.

Not what we're hearing here in CT.

1. The BC AD who had such hard feelings is gone. The UConn AD is gone. The relationship between the BC AD and the new UConn AD is reportedly very good. Calhoun who made intemperate remarks about BC at the time of the law suit is retired. UConn has a new president. It's a whole new era.

2. The reports at the time that Louisville was chosen to replace Maryland in the ACC were that both Carolina AND Duke wanted UConn, but the football faction won out,

3. Things have worked out well for BC in some ways since joining the ACC, but in other ways, not so much. The anticipated extension of their "rivalry" with Miami proved to be a figment of their imagination. They are now in different divisions and play each other only once every other year.
They have lost virtually all of their traditional rivals while travel expenses have increased enormously. They look forward to the return of Syracuse, but that's one rival but not one that provides the kind of access to their alumni that they had when they were traveling down to NY/NJ annually. The loss of Maryland only exacerbates that problem and the addition of Pitt doesn't help that at all. Adding UConn would help BC by providing another rival, by shortening travel, and by providing better access for their alumni in the try-state area.
03-04-2013 06:14 PM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
Dont understand why C7 fans dont want UConn. You guys have been playing them for years and they fill up your arenas.
03-04-2013 06:20 PM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I'm not hearing any rumors to this effect here in CT and I'm a season ticket holder. I think we'd hear them here first.

If I'm the C7 and am striking out on a fresh path because I seek stability and because I'm tired of the football/basketball friction, why would I want UConn?
03-04-2013 06:23 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(03-04-2013 06:20 PM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  Dont understand why C7 fans dont want UConn. You guys have been playing them for years and they fill up your arenas.

They made their choice in '97 and they must live with that decision. They picked which side of the split they wanted to be on and now this is what they asked for.
03-04-2013 06:56 PM
monroedoctrine Offline
Bench Warmer

If this leads to the league dissolving and an even distribution of assets- yes. Any other situation - no.
03-04-2013 07:09 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(03-04-2013 06:20 PM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  Dont understand why C7 fans dont want UConn. You guys have been playing them for years and they fill up your arenas.

its simple: FOOTBALL
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 07:32 PM by gosports1.)
03-04-2013 07:31 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
IMO a rumor on a message board doesnt carry much weight.
03-04-2013 07:33 PM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

Because the C7 want a conference of like institutions, want to leave the football/basketball conflicts behind them, and want to gain stability.

UConn doesn't fit any of these. It's not going to happen.
03-04-2013 09:28 PM
Angrydan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Creighton
Ryan Fagan from the Sporting News was on Omaha radio this afternoon. He said that the realignment is pretty fluid, but when asked about UCONN he predicted the ACC. He only based that on the raid on ACC teams by the Big 10, SEC, possibly Big 12, etc.

As for my school, Creighton, he referred to th the "current talk" (since this thread is "latest rumor" if figured "current talk" would fit here), was immediate invites for Butler and Xavier, and additional members to come from the east, the furthest west possiblity being Saint Louis. :kenny:
03-04-2013 10:55 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(03-04-2013 06:14 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 05:53 PM)HoyaAnt Wrote:  I am not sure about Uconn joining, but them Joining the ACC is not a slam dunk. The feud between UConn and Boston College is straight out Nasty as Boston College has blood blood towards them big Time! Also, word has it that Duke University is not a fan of them either. The Big Ten SEC, and BIG 12 is not going after them because their football team is GARBAGE. Uconn better hope they land in the ACC, because if not, they may have to join the MAC and hope the NBE would take them just for the sake of keeping their basketball program alive and well.

1. The BC AD who had such hard feelings is gone. The UConn AD is gone. The relationship between the BC AD and the new UConn AD is reportedly very good. Calhoun who made intemperate remarks about BC at the time of the law suit is retired. UConn has a new president. It's a whole new era.

2. The reports at the time that Louisville was chosen to replace Maryland in the ACC were that both Carolina AND Duke wanted UConn, but the football faction won out,

3. Things have worked out well for BC in some ways since joining the ACC, but in other ways, not so much. The anticipated extension of their "rivalry" with Miami proved to be a figment of their imagination. They are now in different divisions and play each other only once every other year.
They have lost virtually all of their traditional rivals while travel expenses have increased enormously. They look forward to the return of Syracuse, but that's one rival but not one that provides the kind of access to their alumni that they had when they were traveling down to NY/NJ annually. The loss of Maryland only exacerbates that problem and the addition of Pitt doesn't help that at all. Adding UConn would help BC by providing another rival, by shortening travel, and by providing better access for their alumni in the try-state area.

Traditional rivals? I'm pretty sure BC's traditional rivals consist of Holy Cross and Syracuse. They have Syracuse and Holy Cross is KIA. Other than that, there is Notre Dame and UMASS. They kind of have ND and UMASS is ..well... UMASS. I don't think that UCONN has ever played BC in football, let alone played them enough to be a traditional rival.

I'll give you basketball, but with Louisville, UNC, Duke, and Syracuse in their conference, there isn't a shortage of big names coming to Chestnut Hill to play ball. I'll also give you the game/yr for the NYC alumni, but that's why they make early season tourneys. I'll take 2-3 early season tourney games in MSG every year over a game in Storrs every other year.

Throw in the fact that BC does NOT need/want more competition for fb recruiting New England, and that's why I don't think BC has warmed up to UCONN joining. UCONN just doesn't bring too much, but UCONN has the potential to cost a lot. IMO, the best place for UCONN is the BIG EAST 7 and the MAC.
03-05-2013 01:20 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(03-05-2013 01:20 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Traditional rivals? I'm pretty sure BC's traditional rivals consist of Holy Cross and Syracuse. They have Syracuse and Holy Cross is KIA. Other than that, there is Notre Dame and UMASS. They kind of have ND and UMASS is ..well... UMASS. I don't think that UCONN has ever played BC in football, let alone played them enough to be a traditional rival.

I'll give you basketball, but with Louisville, UNC, Duke, and Syracuse in their conference, there isn't a shortage of big names coming to Chestnut Hill to play ball. I'll also give you the game/yr for the NYC alumni, but that's why they make early season tourneys. I'll take 2-3 early season tourney games in MSG every year over a game in Storrs every other year.

Throw in the fact that BC does NOT need/want more competition for fb recruiting New England, and that's why I don't think BC has warmed up to UCONN joining. UCONN just doesn't bring too much, but UCONN has the potential to cost a lot. IMO, the best place for UCONN is the BIG EAST 7 and the MAC.

BC may consider ND a rival, but the feeling is not mutual.
03-05-2013 07:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fburghokie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Va tech
I like to offer this up.chow about uconn has determine they cannot keep up football and want to reduce to the mac level. Then they use the 25 million check may get from the split to pay off debts. Then they get back to basketball as priority ..just a thought.

Good luck on the new conference . Great teams

http://csnbbs.com/attachment.php?aid=4444domokun:01-lauramac2
(03-04-2013 07:31 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  

its simple: FOOTBALL
03-05-2013 11:17 AM
Advertisement

itsmejpt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Seton Hall
At this point UConn to the ACC makes faaaar more sense than UConn to the Big East. Personally I wouldn't mind them staying in the Aresco Conf, I'd kind of like to see that group do well.
03-05-2013 01:09 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville

It would seem to defeat the secondary purpose of the split. The primary one was to get back to like minded schools who value basketball. UConn doesn;t really fit that bill, but being conference mates for 35 years makes that a moot argument. However the other was to remove the instability. Adding a team who plays football, is liek hanging a noose over your head.
03-05-2013 03:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(03-05-2013 07:35 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 01:20 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

BC may consider ND a rival, but the feeling is not mutual.

Idk, most of the ND fans that I know are pretty steamed at BC after the game last season. Apparently BC played dirty. Seriously though, that's why I demoted the rivalry to the UMASS level. I realize it isn't ND v. Stanford, USC, or Miami (during Catholics v. Convicts), but ND v. BC games are too regular for there to not be some kind of rivalry. ND generally doesn't schedule teams on a fairly regular basis for the heck of it.
03-05-2013 04:08 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(03-05-2013 03:46 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

It would seem to defeat the secondary purpose of the split. The primary one was to get back to like minded schools who value basketball. UConn doesn;t really fit that bill, but being conference mates for 35 years makes that a moot argument. However the other was to remove the instability. Adding a team who plays football, is liek hanging a noose over your head.

You might as well hang yourself then. Villanova and Georgetown play football the last I heard. Nova even has an FCS Championship I think. As a matter of fact if NOVA had been invited for FB when Spagettii Man wanted them added the BE would still be trudging along as the hybrid it once was with different schools in the conference of course.

COGS COGS COGS 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 04-jawdrop 04-jawdrop 04-jawdrop 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 05:01 PM by panite.)
03-05-2013 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.