Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kid suspended from school after disarming another student.
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Kid suspended from school after disarming another student.
I'm the type that regularly leaves threads about education unopened but this is the DUMBEST suspension I've ever heard of.

Come on Florida!

Quote:A Florida high school student wrestled a loaded gun away from another teen on the bus ride home this week and was slapped with a suspension in return.

The 16-year-old Cypress Lake High student in Fort Myers, Fla. told WFTX-TV there was “no doubt” he saved a life after grappling for the loaded .22 caliber revolver being aimed point-blank at another student on Tuesday.

“I think he was really going to shoot him right then and there,” said the suspended student, not identified by WFTX because of safety concerns. “Not taking no pity.”

The student said the suspect, a football player, threatened to shoot a teammate because he had been arguing with his friend.

Authorities confirmed to WFTX the weapon was indeed loaded, and the arrest report stated the suspect, identified by WVZN-TV as Quadryle Davis, was “pointing the gun directly” at the other student and “threatening to shoot him.”

That’s when, the teen told the station, he and two others tackled the suspect and wrestled the gun away. The next day, all three were suspended.

“How they going to suspend me for doing the right thing?” he asked.

The school’s referral slip said he was given an “emergency suspension” for being involved in an “incident” with a weapon. Lee County School District spokesman Alberto Rodriguez said in a statement that “If there is a potentially dangerous situation, Florida law allows the principal to suspend a student immediately pending a hearing.”

“Those kids had to fight for their lives,” the mother of the suspended teen said. “All the kids that was involved in this they should have a pat on their backs because they did the right thing to save someone from burying their child.”

The suspended teen is allowed to go back to school Monday.

Meanwhile, the student accused of pointing the weapon has been charged only with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon “without intent” to kill.

The sheriff’s office said the investigation is ongoing and that the charges are “based on our findings at this time.”
03-04-2013 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: Kid suspended from school after disarming another student.
Quote:The school’s referral slip said he was given an “emergency suspension” for being involved in an “incident” with a weapon

Guess all those Sandy Hook kids would have been suspended too. These are professional educators. They're from the government. No one should question them.
03-04-2013 03:32 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(03-04-2013 03:32 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  These are professional educators. They're from the government. No one should question them.

As one who used to operate in the belly of that beast, most know that often the most inept teachers become administrators. When a 'situation' comes up, they are just as inept in an administrator's position as they were in the classroom.

Why do you think that so many school administrators loved the "no tolerance" policies that are now being walked back in some quarters? It made their jobs much easier in that they didn't need to think and use common sense (something they lack). One size fits all circumstances, so we send home elementary school kids with a suspension because mom sent along a plastic knife to cut the food packed in their lunch. Or because we had some kids that were in the vicinity of a gun, so they all must be bad.

If I were the parent of one of these kids, I'd be making noise about a pending lawsuit if a sincere PUBLIC apology isn't forthcoming along with some discipline for the school official who suspended the student. THAT alone is what gets their attention.
03-04-2013 03:42 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Quadryle? Really? No wonder he's pissed.
03-04-2013 03:44 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-04-2013 03:42 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  As one who used to operate in the belly of that beast, most know that often the most inept teachers become administrators. When a 'situation' comes up, they are just as inept in an administrator's position as they were in the classroom.

Then you'll find this................ disheartening

1: Do Minnesota public schools employ more administrators and other non-teaching staff than classroom teachers?

Yes. Minnesota public schools employ 3,000 more non-classroom staff than teachers.

2: Has the growth in non-teaching staff outpaced the increase in students by more than 50 percent?

True. While the student population increased by eight percent, the growth rate of non-teaching personnel exploded by 68 percent between 1992-2009.

3: Could Minnesota schools could pay their teachers more with the cost savings from “extra” non-teaching staff?

Yes. Classroom teachers could earn $15,000 more every year with the savings.

Those answers put Minnesota in a class of 21 states flagged as “top-heavy” in the number of non-teaching staff employed in public schools in a new report, “The School Staffing Surge: Decades of Employment Growth in America’s Public Schools, Part II.
03-04-2013 04:21 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-04-2013 04:21 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 03:42 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  As one who used to operate in the belly of that beast, most know that often the most inept teachers become administrators. When a 'situation' comes up, they are just as inept in an administrator's position as they were in the classroom.

1: Do Minnesota public schools employ more administrators and other non-teaching staff than classroom teachers?

Yes. Minnesota public schools employ 3,000 more non-classroom staff than teachers.

2: Has the growth in non-teaching staff outpaced the increase in students by more than 50 percent?

True. While the student population increased by eight percent, the growth rate of non-teaching personnel exploded by 68 percent between 1992-2009.

3: Could Minnesota schools could pay their teachers more with the cost savings from “extra” non-teaching staff?

Those answers put Minnesota in a class of 21 states flagged as “top-heavy” in the number of non-teaching staff employed in public schools in a new report, “The School Staffing Surge: Decades of Employment Growth in America’s Public Schools, Part II.

You have identified step 1 to fixing education.
03-04-2013 04:28 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(03-04-2013 03:42 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 03:32 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  These are professional educators. They're from the government. No one should question them.

As one who used to operate in the belly of that beast, most know that often the most inept teachers become administrators. When a 'situation' comes up, they are just as inept in an administrator's position as they were in the classroom.

Why do you think that so many school administrators loved the "no tolerance" policies that are now being walked back in some quarters? It made their jobs much easier in that they didn't need to think and use common sense (something they lack). One size fits all circumstances, so we send home elementary school kids with a suspension because mom sent along a plastic knife to cut the food packed in their lunch. Or because we had some kids that were in the vicinity of a gun, so they all must be bad.

If I were the parent of one of these kids, I'd be making noise about a pending lawsuit if a sincere PUBLIC apology isn't forthcoming along with some discipline for the school official who suspended the student. THAT alone is what gets their attention.

This may be unique to my area, but nepotism is often a problem with inept administrators/teachers. In my county, 6 of the 14 regular public school principals are the children of past principals. They go up the administrative totem pole after about 4 years in the classroom.
03-04-2013 08:16 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(03-04-2013 04:21 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

It gets better... Tomorrow Minnesota will try to get a bill out of committee which *allows* (not forces) schools to keep extra epi-pens on site. Parents want this because Epi-pens are life saving tools that, like all tools, do have a failure rate (1%) which are enhanced temperature swings.

The proposal is opposed by... ta daaaa "The Minnesota School Boards Association" a lobbying arm for the Democrats and their policies.
03-05-2013 12:33 AM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
I could understand giving a student something like an LOA for being involved with something like this, but without any kind of repercussion on his record as kind of a winddown period. But the administrators act like King Solomon as they "enforce" their policy. Again, Americans get bogged down in the stupid.
03-05-2013 12:44 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(03-05-2013 12:44 AM)T-Monay820 Wrote:  I could understand giving a student something like an LOA for being involved with something like this, but without any kind of repercussion on his record as kind of a winddown period. But the administrators act like King Solomon as they "enforce" their policy. Again, Americans get bogged down in the stupid.

Anything short of a medal is wrong here... He put himself on the line ot save someone else's life. Is this really an attitude that we don't miss? It was a noble act.
03-05-2013 01:17 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(03-04-2013 03:42 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  

I had no idea Torchy was an administrator.
03-05-2013 01:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.