Bookmark and Share
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
UC's Whit Babcock: 'We're going to make it through all this'
UC's Whit Babcock: 'We're going to make it through all this'
Bearcats' AD adds 'there's still some miles to go' before Catholic 7 departure is done deal

Mar 2, 2013

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20130302&...rough-all-]
Whit Babcock said Saturday: "It’s disappointing when you lose rivalries and things like that.” / Enquirer file photo

Written by
Bill Koch

As events continue to chip away at what’s left of the Big East Conference, University of Cincinnati athletic director Whit Babcock would love to be able to tell fans which conference the Bearcats will end up in and exactly when that will happen.

He’d like to wave a magic wand and relieve all the angst that has enveloped the Bearcats’ fan base in recent months.

But all he can do is offer a personal belief that the UC athletic program will survive the current uncertainty surrounding it and remain affiliated with a major conference when the smoke finally clears.

“We’re going to make it through all this,” Babcock said before UC’s victory over Connecticut on Saturday at Fifth Third Arena. “I just wish I knew when, but we’re going to make it through.”

The latest blow to the Big East – and to UC – is the likelihood that the seven Catholic schools who have agreed to form their own league will begin play in the new conference next school year instead of waiting until 2014-15, when Louisville and Rutgers are expected to leave for the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Big Ten respectively.

Babcock attended a meeting of the Big East presidents and athletic directors in Atlanta on Friday.

“There’s still some miles to go before all this Catholic seven stuff is all the way finished up,” Babcock said. “I just think there’s some legal wrangling and other things left to go. I think it’s more than likely (that they’ll be gone next year) but I wouldn’t say it’s a foregone conclusion either. There’s two sides to a settlement.

“It’s a little surprising. I thought for the most part that everything was gearing toward June of 2014 and I guess in the latest round of negotiations, ‘13’ came back to the table pretty fast. It’s disappointing when you lose rivalries and things like that.”

Babcock insists that UC is in a good position for the future.

“We’re in a good spot in the way that I think we’re the prettiest one at the dance that’s out there,” he said. “Our football program over the last six or seven seasons, our average BCS finish is 16th. That’s higher than any ACC or Big East school other than Virginia Tech. We’ve won or shared four of five Big East titles in football. Our basketball team has been in the NCAA tournament in 15 of the last 21 years. We’re in a good spot potentially. This is a stock on the rise.”

The UC athletic director said the Bearcats are being as pro-active as possible but declined to say which measures officials are taking to ensure that the school ends up in one of the five remaining premier conferences.

“That’s probably not in our best interest for me to answer that question,” Babcock said. “It’s on the top of my list every day. You can get too concerned to where you worry about a lot of things you can’t control. We try to focus every day on what we can control and that’s getting better competitively, facility-wise and all that.”

Babcock acknowledged that if the Catholic schools leave the Big East this June, it will affect the Bearcats’ scheduling.

“Basketball is easier than football,” Babcock said, “but we’re going to have to sit down and look at our RPI and strength of schedule and how we supplement it and how we do it. Butler seems to do it. Gonzaga seems to do it and those are great programs, but I think our program is at a higher level than those guys.”

Asked if he was confident that UC would eventually land in the ACC, Babcock declined to answer.

“I will say that I do have a high degree of confidence that realignment is not over,” Babcock said. “But if you say, when it is going to happen? I can’t answer that question for you. That’s why we stay the course and I truly believe that UC is going to be OK. It causes some anxiety for all of us in the meantime. It’s confident that conference realignment is not over so we’re going to be ready.

“Whatever league we’re in, we can sit around and worry about it or we can try to win it.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...rough-all-

03-03-2013 01:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: UC's Whit Babcock: 'We're going to make it through all this'
Thank you Whit. Compare his response to the UConn president. Love that last quote.

03-03-2013 08:53 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Glad Whit came out and talked. UC fans can generally use a little - or A LOT - of calming.

03-03-2013 09:53 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Not sure why exactly, but those quotes worry me more than reassure me.

03-03-2013 09:54 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

Good to hear from the top of the athletic department. Reading between the line with what Whit and others at UC have said (Cronin, machock). UC is next in the ACC when realignment ramps up again and all are confident it will.

Wed be getting fed the line, "we are committed to making the new big east successful and being a flagship program " we are not.

It does seem he is surprised that the C7 are bolting this year. He was counting on one killer basketball league next year. Now he's like.. damn we have to ramp up our OOC scheduling for next year

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 10:03 AM by Bearcat2012.)
03-03-2013 10:01 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(03-03-2013 09:54 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Not sure why exactly, but those quotes worry me more than reassure me.

Well, I can understand the POV, but I can understand Whit's reluctance to directly, or too specifically, answer questions at this point. From what I understand, the ACC wasn't too happy about our candidacy for that league being so public the last time (the leaks, etc.).

03-03-2013 10:25 AM
Advertisement

#41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
The issue isn't "Is realignment over," but more "What shape will UC be in when realignment resumes."

If realignment started tomorrow, UC would be the next logical choice. However, if realignment takes years to start moving again, who is to say who the "best of the rest" will be. Once UC joins up with Garbage USA, it effectively becomes the equal of programs like Houston, UCF, ECU and Tulane. In 3-4 years, there's no guarantee (due to us moving down b/c of fan apathy and lack of resources or others moving up for other reasons) that some other school won't jump us on the list.

03-03-2013 01:19 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-03-2013 01:19 PM)#41 Wrote:  The issue isn't "Is realignment over," but more "What shape will UC be in when realignment resumes."

If realignment started tomorrow, UC would be the next logical choice. However, if realignment takes years to start moving again, who is to say who the "best of the rest" will be. Once UC joins up with Garbage USA, it effectively becomes the equal of programs like Houston, UCF, ECU and Tulane. In 3-4 years, there's no guarantee (due to us moving down b/c of fan apathy and lack of resources or others moving up for other reasons) that some other school won't jump us on the list.

Its on the fans then. If another school shows they have better alumni/fans/support then that school deserves to be picked. No matter what happens fans need to continue to support our school and programs. At the end of the day you support your programs b/c you in some way enjoy/love/have a bond with said program - not b/c of who they play, what conf they are in or some other external reason. Of course that's just my take.

03-03-2013 01:39 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-03-2013 01:39 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 01:19 PM)#41 Wrote:  The issue isn't "Is realignment over," but more "What shape will UC be in when realignment resumes."

Its on the fans then. If another school shows they have better alumni/fans/support then that school deserves to be picked. No matter what happens fans need to continue to support our school and programs. At the end of the day you support your programs b/c you in some way enjoy/love/have a bond with said program - not b/c of who they play, what conf they are in or some other external reason. Of course that's just my take.

Or up to the non fans. Fans go to go games, support the teams. We need more consistent fans and those people are currently fence sitters.

03-03-2013 02:44 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
On a personal level, can't be easy for this guy right now. He's got to be heavily focused on getting us out of this mess while also continuing to run this dept day to day. I think he probably knows some things we don't but that nothing is crystal clear. But sounds like he views things like many of us, which is we are an attractive candidate and he thinks we will land softly just not sure when. I really really like this guy. He's calm, smart and communicates with the fans without sounding like a gad fly.

03-03-2013 03:12 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators

ECU Football wise has shown they've had a strong following for years; it will be a number of criteria not just fan support... our media market and recruiting grounds for other conference schools is probably our strongest attributes. The upgrade of Nippert and other facilities is also a strength. This program is light years ahead of where it's been...

I'm glad Whit is at the helm.

03-03-2013 03:41 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Whit Babcock = Leader

What a great AD....

03-03-2013 07:15 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

#41, that worries me too. But, sounds like the divorce money is going to give us a big head start over the likes of Houston, UCF, etc., who will still be breaking even from their entry/exit fees between the BE/C-USA, five years from now. That, at least mitigates this circus a bit, in our direction.

03-03-2013 10:16 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(03-03-2013 03:41 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  

ECU Football wise has shown they've had a strong following for years; it will be a number of criteria not just fan support... our media market and recruiting grounds for other conference schools is probably our strongest attributes. The upgrade of Nippert and other facilities is also a strength. This program is light years ahead of where it's been...

On top of all of these just the fact that Cincinnati would be new territory for the ACC/Big XII helps a lot. The media market, as you mentioned, is huge but the fact that it's in a region that neither of those conferences infiltrate makes UC all the more attractive. That's one of the main reasons West Virginia was added to the Big XII.

03-04-2013 09:56 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

And I have to believe WVU is expressing their concern to the B12 about not having a rival closer than Iowa State. My guess is Pitt or Louisville would be higher on the B12 wish list. At this point, any movement that subtracts from the ACC benefits UC. Wonder if Pitt or Louisville could avoid the $50 million exit fee since they've never played a game in the ACC?

03-04-2013 11:29 AM
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
The latest news on scheduling concerns Boise St. Boise St just got a home and home with Florida State.
I wonder if Whit called FSU to see if there was a chance for home and home.

03-04-2013 02:15 PM
Advertisement

Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(03-04-2013 02:15 PM)kyucat Wrote:  The latest news on scheduling concerns Boise St. Boise St just got a home and home with Florida State.
I wonder if Whit called FSU to see if there was a chance for home and home.

I would think a home and home with UC would be just as attractive if not more attractive for Florida St. UC is at least in an area where they do some recruiting. Playing in Boise does nothing for their recruiting. Big pickup for Boise landing that series.

03-04-2013 02:41 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-04-2013 09:56 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  

On top of all of these just the fact that Cincinnati would be new territory for the ACC/Big XII helps a lot. The media market, as you mentioned, is huge but the fact that it's in a region that neither of those conferences infiltrate makes UC all the more attractive. That's one of the main reasons West Virginia was added to the Big XII.

IMHO we have zero shot at the B12. Texas doesn't want us and that is all that matters. They could have had us (and UofL) anytime after they added WVU and they didn't add us. To top it all off, their media mouthpieces (Barry Tramel, Chip Brown and some others) have publically stated we are not worth looking into.

03-04-2013 03:50 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-04-2013 03:50 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 09:56 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  

IMHO we have zero shot at the B12. Texas doesn't want us and that is all that matters. They could have had us (and UofL) anytime after they added WVU and they didn't add us. To top it all off, their media mouthpieces (Barry Tramel, Chip Brown and some others) have publically stated we are not worth looking into.

I bet the NCAA denies their request to play a CCG with only 10 teams.
They will get back to at least 12. Texas did not want TCU either, but the others did. It will all depend on the final playoff rules and regulations.

03-04-2013 04:06 PM
bctn8n Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
UC Athletic Director says Big East settlement may take years to collect
Whit Babcock to reinvest Big East proceeds

/**/ ShareThis

Posted: 1:27 PM
Last Updated: 22 minutes ago

By: Dan Monk, WCPO Digital
CINCINNATI - Published reports that the University of Cincinnati stands to gain up to $30 million in payments from the unraveling of the Big East Conference are “in the neighborhood,” but the exact amount is not yet known, UC Athletic Director Whit Babcock told WCPO Digital Thursday.

“Of the funds that are or become available, an eight-figure amount will come off the top to pay legal fees, consultants, TV contract negotiators, etc. that have been incurred by the Big East over the past few years,” Babcock wrote in an email response to our inquiries. The money “will be distributed over a five to seven-year period in accordance with a percentage or formula that is in process of being developed. We will know much more by the end of this fiscal year.” UC's fiscal year ends June 30.

Published reports have estimated UC will get anywhere from $10 million to $30 million from the departure of Catholic schools from the Big East, which will join with Xavier University to launch a new conference that keeps the Big East name. The money comes from an estimated $100 million fund created by schools that left or plan to leave the conference. Babcock said some of those payments are still being negotiated or they're tied up in litigation.

UC, Connecticut and South Florida stand to gain the most from the separation, according to Sportswriter Mark Blaudschun , a USA Today contributor.

Babcock said UC will use future Big East distributions to cover its declining television revenue. The shrinking conference has a new TV deal that will deliver up to $2 million less to UC, he said. Asked whether UC can use the money for a Nippert Stadium expansion, Babcock said:

“Some of it could make its way into pay for design fees, hypothetically. But as of now, these funds would not go to the Nippert project, but to supplement our overall budget and scholarship funding, which we have a desire to increase in our Olympic sports.”

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/money/business_n...to-collect

03-07-2013 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.