Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What did we learn at the football kickoff?
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
What did we learn at the football kickoff?
Those of you who attended today's Football Kickoff please share what you heard from the coaches. Thanks!

http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2013/.../index.xml
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 11:08 PM by NIU1981.)
03-02-2013 11:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
RE: What did we learn at the football kickoff?
Very short event - less than a half hour.

The BIG thing is that season ticket holders will get a free ticket for a sixth game -either the MACC or bowl game. I do not know how this is possible or economically feasible. I sure hope I heard this correctly, but I don't see how it's possible.

Coach Carey was not there, but they had a very short video of him thanking donors.
03-02-2013 11:19 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(03-02-2013 11:05 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Those of you who attended today's Football Kickoff please share what you heard from the coaches. Thanks!

Wow is all I can say. If you want to read/watch things to get you fired up, I recommend 1) ESPN's Herbstreit NIU rant, and 2) the link provided by NIU1981. IF those quotes from our "leadership" do not make your stomach churn, then nothing will. Those are NOT the quotes from a football program aspiring to grow. Im not sure what makes me more upset 1) Saying we have to sell out Huskie Stadium for that trash of a schedule 2) its good we don’t have any home games because we can’t draw good back to back Saturdays (WOWWW, nice approach), or 3) weekday games are good because students can go, who gives an eff about everyone else (and I seriously beg to differ on that point, you get a halfway decent schedule and students will come on weekends). Compher needs to go, he does not have the best interest of NIU at hand, he just doesn’t get it. How about somewhere in this football kickoff you talk about how YOU have to step up Mr. Compher. What a disgrace. I just NEVER want to hear him say again we want to be the next Boise or TCU, actions speak louder than words.
03-02-2013 11:20 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Coach Carey was meeting high school coaches in North Dakota per his Twitter.
03-03-2013 01:04 AM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(03-02-2013 11:20 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 11:05 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Those of you who attended today's Football Kickoff please share what you heard from the coaches. Thanks!

Wow is all I can say. If you want to read/watch things to get you fired up, I recommend 1) ESPN's Herbstreit NIU rant, and 2) the link provided by NIU1981. IF those quotes from our "leadership" do not make your stomach churn, then nothing will. Those are NOT the quotes from a football program aspiring to grow. Im not sure what makes me more upset 1) Saying we have to sell out Huskie Stadium for that trash of a schedule 2) its good we don’t have any home games because we can’t draw good back to back Saturdays (WOWWW, nice approach), or 3) weekday games are good because students can go, who gives an eff about everyone else (and I seriously beg to differ on that point, you get a halfway decent schedule and students will come on weekends). Compher needs to go, he does not have the best interest of NIU at hand, he just doesn’t get it. How about somewhere in this football kickoff you talk about how YOU have to step up Mr. Compher. What a disgrace. I just NEVER want to hear him say again we want to be the next Boise or TCU, actions speak louder than words.

omg stop... I agree with them, we really need to work on our attendence. Lets just hope they are thinking of other methods besides cutting $$ or giving away free stuff.
03-03-2013 01:36 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
lol Compher hires coach who actually, you know, takes us to a BCS bowl game and you're disgusting because he doesn't say we want to be the next TCU or Boise?
03-03-2013 03:39 AM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(03-03-2013 03:39 AM)7 Wrote:  lol Compher hires coach who actually, you know, takes us to a BCS bowl game and you're disgusting because he doesn't say we want to be the next TCU or Boise?

I am saying he needs to make up his mind whether NIU is headed to FCS or not, he is taking into an FCS direction, you cannot deny that 7. The best thing he did was hire Doeren, but everything else has been a complete and utter disaster. When he hired Doeren he mentioned he wanted to be the next TCU and Boise, but his actions are contradictory to that. We cant schedule home games because of fear we wont draw back to back? That sounds like a high school mentality. What he doesnt understand is that he needs to step up too. Huskiebob is correct in that this is a missed opportunity following the OB, a big big miss.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 03:56 AM by MaddDawgz02.)
03-03-2013 03:54 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(03-03-2013 03:54 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 03:39 AM)7 Wrote:  lol Compher hires coach who actually, you know, takes us to a BCS bowl game and you're disgusting because he doesn't say we want to be the next TCU or Boise?

I am saying he needs to make up his mind whether NIU is headed to FCS or not, he is taking into an FCS direction, you cannot deny that 7. The best thing he did was hire Doeren, but everything else has been a complete and utter disaster.
Hahahaha. We only played 5 home games in 2010 too. We played 6 home games last year and a game at Soldier Field. The sky is not falling. All is ok.
03-03-2013 03:56 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I understand the mid-week games are good for students and they had slightly more students, according to their numbers. What was the total attendance for the games? Especially among those who are paying for tickets? And those donating money to the program?

I think they're trying to convince themselves, not to mention everyone else, that it's a good idea. Mid-week games are like games at SF. They work if you have one occasionally, but you can't go to the well that many times.
03-03-2013 07:55 AM
niubrad00 Offline
Boss

(03-02-2013 11:20 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

03-lmfao 01-wingedeagle
03-03-2013 07:57 AM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Compher learned to copy Toledo on the $50 dollar season ticket and $50 in vouchers. We call it the ultimate fan plan and it sells lots of season tickets on the east side upper bowl. It's an exact copy! Just took him two years to copy it.

http://search.yahoo.com/tablet/s?p=toled...an&fr=ipad
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 10:43 AM by Stpetebeachrocketfan.)
03-03-2013 09:05 AM
Advertisement

yesman815 Offline
All American

I am going to buy 50 dollar season tickets and give them out to people who can attend in my place since I will only be able to make Iowa or Purdue !

Just gotta figure out how to give away tickets to people who cannot go that this would help

Any ideas?
03-03-2013 10:27 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Like last year, season ticketholders can also get 2 free tickets to any away MAC game.

I was impressed with the HASF event, but they really made it just about all football. None of the other coaches or any stuents spoke like in prior years

Got to meet Akeem Daniels, who gave me my renewal packet. Nice kid.

No changes to donation levels this year.

If you are a member of the Alumni Assoc., seaon tickets are $88!
03-03-2013 10:54 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Dan Verdun's book is supposed to come out March 11.
03-03-2013 11:00 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(03-03-2013 11:00 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Dan Verdun's book is supposed to come out March 11.

Yeah, that's what he said when I asked. But I forgot to pin him down on 2013 or 2014.03-wink
03-03-2013 11:10 AM
niuaccy1976 Offline
1st String

(03-03-2013 11:10 AM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 11:00 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Dan Verdun's book is supposed to come out March 11.

Yeah, that's what he said when I asked. But I forgot to pin him down on 2013 or 2014.03-wink

Bill Baker interviewed him at halftime of the CMU game. I think he said there will be 150 photos. Available from NIU Press, Amazon, VCB.
03-03-2013 11:39 AM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Ill probably still buy a few season tickets so my family and friends up there can use them, especially at the $50 price.
Was gonna get them for my parents but my dad, an average fan, decided he'd rather spend money on going to Iowa and/or Purdue than going to DeKalb to see ****** matchups on Saturdays. Weeknight games are impossible for him to attend with work
03-03-2013 02:00 PM
YoungPup Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-03-2013 07:55 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  I understand the mid-week games are good for students and they had slightly more students, according to their numbers. What was the total attendance for the games? Especially among those who are paying for tickets? And those donating money to the program?

I think they're trying to convince themselves, not to mention everyone else, that it's a good idea. Mid-week games are like games at SF. They work if you have one occasionally, but you can't go to the well that many times.

I have to admit that I prefer mid-week games. The students are loud! It sucks going to games without them because the biggest reaction you get out of the donors and season ticket holders is a golf clap. I think Compher is smart by scheduling more weekday games to get students to go.
03-03-2013 02:30 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-03-2013 02:30 PM)YoungPup Wrote:  I have to admit that I prefer mid-week games. The students are loud! It sucks going to games without them because the biggest reaction you get out of the donors and season ticket holders is a golf clap. I think Compher is smart by scheduling more weekday games to get students to go.

Hopefully the number of young alumni sitting on the west side starts to grow. I understand the chairback area may be a bit reserved but the rest of the west side can get up and get loud too. I was actually watching the Arizona-UCLA basketball game last night and the students were doing some chant that involved "stand up" in an effort to get the rest of the stadium up. It was something basic...like "stand up stand up. clap clap, clap clap clap".
03-03-2013 02:39 PM
numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

(03-03-2013 02:39 PM)armour248 Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 02:30 PM)YoungPup Wrote:  I have to admit that I prefer mid-week games. The students are loud! It sucks going to games without them because the biggest reaction you get out of the donors and season ticket holders is a golf clap. I think Compher is smart by scheduling more weekday games to get students to go.

Hopefully the number of young alumni sitting on the west side starts to grow. I understand the chairback area may be a bit reserved but the rest of the west side can get up and get loud too. I was actually watching the Arizona-UCLA basketball game last night and the students were doing some chant that involved "stand up" in an effort to get the rest of the stadium up. It was something basic...like "stand up stand up. clap clap, clap clap clap".

Young alumni sit on the east side. I have had season tickets over there for 4 years now. No reason to sit on the WS when you can stand where you want on east.
03-03-2013 03:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.