Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NY Post confirming C7 moves, keeping Big East name
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
NY Post confirming C7 moves, keeping Big East name
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/b...9AiafuJtrO

The NY Post is confirming that C7 is leaving in 2013, getting the Big East name, conference tournament at Madison Square Garden, Butler, Xavier and Creighton for 2013, St. Louis and Dayton for 2014.
03-01-2013 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: NY Post confirming C7 moves, keeping Big East name
(03-01-2013 04:01 PM)orangefan Wrote:  http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/b...9AiafuJtrO

The NY Post is confirming that C7 is leaving in 2013, getting the Big East name, conference tournament at Madison Square Garden, Butler, Xavier and Creighton for 2013, St. Louis and Dayton for 2014.

“No decision has been made yet,’’ Big East commissioner Mike Aresco told The Post last night in a telephone interview. “I’ve heard reports that we’re going to announce something on Tuesday, which just isn’t true.

“We’re talking and we’ll continue to talk. This is a sensitive issue and there’s a lot of moving parts. But all parties have been committed to doing this in an amicable manner and I don’t see any reason why that’s not going to be the case.’’
03-01-2013 04:05 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Anyone else get the impression that this Aresco fella is in the dark about lot of stuff going on around him...?
03-01-2013 04:08 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(03-01-2013 04:08 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Anyone else get the impression that this Aresco fella is in the dark about lot of stuff going on around him...?

I've been thinking for a while that he was hired to preside over the demise of the conference. While his outward persona is charming, confident, and adept at making the right statements, he is clearly either overmatched when it comes to the operations of building a conference, or intentionally poor at performing those duties.
03-01-2013 04:10 PM
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas
[Image: sZNbqxt.gif]
03-01-2013 04:18 PM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
(03-01-2013 04:10 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 04:08 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Anyone else get the impression that this Aresco fella is in the dark about lot of stuff going on around him...?

I've been thinking for a while that he was hired to preside over the demise of the conference. While his outward persona is charming, confident, and adept at making the right statements, he is clearly either overmatched when it comes to the operations of building a conference, or intentionally poor at performing those duties.

Funny, when I posted a a thread on the BEboard about people's thoughts on whether Aresco was really doing what was best for the member schools that are/were committed to "reviving" the BE conference, many thought I was nuts for asking such a ludicrous question.

For all the accolades I keep hearing about the guy, I'm seriously starting to think he is either the most oblivious person in college football or every negative thing that has happened since the departure of Marinatto has been purposely and covertly executed by the man.
03-01-2013 04:20 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

At the time Aresco was hired, WVU was already gone and Pitt and Syracuse had announced their departures. You can say that he inherited a bad situation and didn't make it better, but he didn't create the bad situation.

Here's an excerpt from an AP article written when Aresco was hired:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...mmissioner
Quote:The next commissioner will need to create stability to encourage current and future members to stick with the conference if and when leagues such as the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast Conference look to expand again.

The best way for Aresco to do that is to help the Big East land a $1 billion television contract that is at least in the ballpark of the ACC's recently re-worked deal with ESPN, which will pay its members about $17 million per year starting next season and through the 2026-27 sports season.

That looks laughable in hindsight. Help the Big East land a $1 billion television contract? No one could have possibly done that.
03-01-2013 04:21 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

C7 knew their best interests, both financial and in public perception, was to get out of Nbe. Aresco not to blame.
03-01-2013 04:23 PM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-01-2013 04:05 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 04:01 PM)orangefan Wrote:  http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/b...9AiafuJtrO

“No decision has been made yet,’’ Big East commissioner Mike Aresco told The Post last night in a telephone interview. “I’ve heard reports that we’re going to announce something on Tuesday, which just isn’t true.

“We’re talking and we’ll continue to talk. This is a sensitive issue and there’s a lot of moving parts. But all parties have been committed to doing this in an amicable manner and I don’t see any reason why that’s not going to be the case.’’

Aresco has been wrong a lot, but he appears to be correct here. The meeting today ended with no announcement & apparently no decision being made.
03-01-2013 04:23 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Aresco is not to blame for this. NO ONE saw the Big 10 moving to take Rutgers and Maryland. The BE was toast from the minute that happened. No one in the world could have taken any preventative measures that would have kept the BE together after the Big 10 took Rutgers and Maryland.

If I give you a car without any oil in the engine, is it your fault when the engine seizes up? Of course not. Maybe we can say that Aresco was a little nuts for taking this job to begin with, but it's certainly not his fault that the conference fell apart.
03-01-2013 04:35 PM
RIFRAF Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU

No, I do not. I think he, Holland, and all other parties in the conference know exactly what is going on. They have a tough situation, and in my opinion, from afar, are doing a good job considering the landscape. We all need to keep in mind, we are all viewing what is unfolding from a distance. I am sure there is much going on behind the scenes we know nothing about. We are not "informed ADs or Commissioners".
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 04:43 PM by RIFRAF.)
03-01-2013 04:41 PM
Advertisement

bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I am glad the BE lives on. It deserves to be reincarnated as a good basketball conference. It was a shame how beaten it had become at the end. I think with MSG, the BE name and the new invites that they can revive the name pretty nicely.

I can only hope UC is close to leaving also.
03-01-2013 04:42 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(03-01-2013 04:35 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Aresco is not to blame for this. NO ONE saw the Big 10 moving to take Rutgers and Maryland. The BE was toast from the minute that happened. No one in the world could have taken any preventative measures that would have kept the BE together after the Big 10 took Rutgers and Maryland.

If I give you a car without any oil in the engine, is it your fault when the engine seizes up? Of course not. Maybe we can say that Aresco was a little nuts for taking this job to begin with, but it's certainly not his fault that the conference fell apart.

No, the blame rests squarely with Delaney. If the B10 never touches Rutgers, then Louisvilled doesn't leave. Then none of the C7 leave. The B10 taking Rutgers started all these dominoes. If that domino doesn't fall, then the BE is still together today. Period.
03-01-2013 04:45 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(03-01-2013 04:21 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

At the time Aresco was hired, WVU was already gone and Pitt and Syracuse had announced their departures. You can say that he inherited a bad situation and didn't make it better, but he didn't create the bad situation.

Quote:The next commissioner will need to create stability to encourage current and future members to stick with the conference if and when leagues such as the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast Conference look to expand again.

The best way for Aresco to do that is to help the Big East land a $1 billion television contract that is at least in the ballpark of the ACC's recently re-worked deal with ESPN, which will pay its members about $17 million per year starting next season and through the 2026-27 sports season.

That looks laughable in hindsight. Help the Big East land a $1 billion television contract? No one could have possibly done that.

As it stands now, you're right. But if Delaney never touches Rutgers, then Louisville and the C7 never leave. Boise and SDSU never leave, and maybe BYU is brought in. Then, the BE may have commanded 1 Billion. This was outside of the BE control, when the B10 started to get greedy.
03-01-2013 04:47 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Official welcome to the New Big East

[Image: C7BE_zps431b256c.jpg]
03-01-2013 04:51 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Quote:No, the blame rests squarely with Delaney. If the B10 never touches Rutgers, then Louisvilled doesn't leave. Then none of the C7 leave. The B10 taking Rutgers started all these dominoes. If that domino doesn't fall, then the BE is still together today. Period.

UofL would be in the B12 then as WVU travel partner. UofL was never here for the long haul. The ACC is the one who destroyed the BE.
03-01-2013 04:57 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-01-2013 04:51 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Official welcome to the New Big East

[Image: C7BE_zps431b256c.jpg]

04-cheers
03-01-2013 05:05 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(03-01-2013 04:35 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Aresco is not to blame for this. NO ONE saw the Big 10 moving to take Rutgers and Maryland. The BE was toast from the minute that happened. No one in the world could have taken any preventative measures that would have kept the BE together after the Big 10 took Rutgers and Maryland.

1. Just about everyone saw SOMEONE taking two teams from the Big East, to include either Louisville or UConn.

2. If I buy a car, I have my mechanic check it out. He'll notice if there's no oil in the engine. Maybe the job was too big for Aresco, but he took the salary, so he takes the blame.
03-01-2013 05:07 PM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Richmond
Have seen posts from both Xavier and Villanova insiders saying that what ESPN has been reporting regarding the final membership is incorrect.

From the Nova guy
"the ESPN reports aren't entirely accurate, and were likely leaked by someone hoping to manipulate the process. Xavier and Butler are definitely IN next year b/c they were the only 2 schools where there was a consensus. Despite what is being reported, Creighton and RICHMOND are likely next in line, in part b/c of a recent compromise between the eastern and western C7 schools. The last spot is undecided, but Fox has been pushing for SLU, which would leave Dayton out of the mix."

From the Xavier guy
"I'm being told by someone I trust implicitely that the schools could only agree on Butler and Xavier. That is why they are definitely coming in next year. I have also heard that Georgetown gave Creighton to Marquette and in return, Marquette is going to give Georgetown Richmond for school number 11. The schools are at odds about who should be team #12"
03-01-2013 05:10 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-01-2013 04:47 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 04:21 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

As it stands now, you're right. But if Delaney never touches Rutgers, then Louisville and the C7 never leave. Boise and SDSU never leave, and maybe BYU is brought in. Then, the BE may have commanded 1 Billion. This was outside of the BE control, when the B10 started to get greedy.

It may be that the C-7 move is related to Fox and the launch of FS1, and maybe that would have happened no matter what else happened.

If the only thing "missing" on the football side between then and now is Louisville and Rutgers (and Boise), I don't see how that would be enough to get from the contract the Aresco League has now to a contract that would have been large enough to keep Boise. The TV deal would have to be about 4 times as large to get enough money to make Boise stay -- in other words, about $520 million over 7 years instead of $130 million. In order to believe that Louisville, Rutgers, and Boise make that much difference, you would have to believe that those three teams combined have three times as much value as the entire Aresco League lineup.
03-01-2013 05:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.