Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Americans can't afford new cars
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Americans can't afford new cars
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cars-incre...57880.html

So when Obama claims to have saved Detroit, he really means he "destroyed" it.

Got it. Just need to define the terms.
02-28-2013 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
RE: Americans can't afford new cars
When you add piles of regulations, requirements, and oversight it gets pretty darn expensive to manufacture a vehicle... so much so, that new manufacturers will never amount to much (including electric manufacturers).

The cost gets passed along to consumers, which is a truth Libs like to ignore.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 08:19 AM by Jerry Falwell.)
02-28-2013 08:19 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Probably a good thing. I don't think I'll ever buy a brand new car, even though I could.
02-28-2013 09:29 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Why would anyone want to buy a new car that loses half its value as you drive it off the lot, especially in an age where you can get detailed history reports of the vehicle via Carfax with the click of a mouse?

I just bought a Volvo C70 Convertible with 50k miles via private party. Price: $5,500. New car price: >$40,000. It is immaculate and will be paid off in 6 months and likely won't need any servicing until 100k miles or 5 years with my driving habits. If I bought it new and managed to get 0% interest, I'd be paying over $600 per month over the next 5 years. It is a bit of a no brainer. Used to be better to buy new cars, but not anymore.

That $10,000 new reliable Civic of the past now starts at $25,000 and that is your basic, entry level new car.
02-28-2013 09:38 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Gee between this and cash for clunkers the Car market has gotten bad on both ends..
02-28-2013 09:43 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(02-28-2013 09:38 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Why would anyone want to buy a new car that loses half its value as you drive it off the lot, especially in an age where you can get detailed history reports of the vehicle via Carfax with the click of a mouse?

I just bought a Volvo C70 Convertible with 50k miles via private party. Price: $5,500. New car price: >$40,000. It is immaculate and will be paid off in 6 months and likely won't need any servicing until 100k miles or 5 years with my driving habits. If I bought it new and managed to get 0% interest, I'd be paying over $600 per month over the next 5 years. It is a bit of a no brainer. Used to be better to buy new cars, but not anymore.

That $10,000 new reliable Civic of the past now starts at $25,000 and that is your basic, entry level new car.

I totally agree;however there are situations when a used car price will nearly equal a new car price with a same year/model car. In that case maybe I could see getting a new car. This occurs sometimes during a recession as folks hold onto their older cars thus decreasing used car supplies.

Aside from that scenario, I drive a ten year old vehicle and once it dies will definitely look at the used car market for a "new" car.
02-28-2013 09:43 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-28-2013 09:43 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(02-28-2013 09:38 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Why would anyone want to buy a new car that loses half its value as you drive it off the lot, especially in an age where you can get detailed history reports of the vehicle via Carfax with the click of a mouse?

I totally agree;however there are situations when a used car price will nearly equal a new car price with a same year/model car. In that case maybe I could see getting a new car. This occurs sometimes during a recession as folks hold onto their older cars thus decreasing used car supplies.

Aside from that scenario, I drive a ten year old vehicle and once it dies will definitely look at the used car market for a "new" car.

Yes, especially when you buy from a dealer, used car prices can be a rip off. However, even the cheapest Kia goes for over $15k new, which is more than I am willing to pay for any car no matter how much money I have so that makes it easy. I have had good luck with private party sales.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 09:50 AM by EverRespect.)
02-28-2013 09:47 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(02-28-2013 07:06 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cars-incre...57880.html

Don't worry Torch, the government always seems to have enough money to buy new cars or provide bailouts when needed.
02-28-2013 09:49 AM
DrTorch Offline

Somebody has to buy them new, lackwit.
02-28-2013 09:49 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU

Exactly. This is the very reason why I've never purchased a brand new car. I bought my current car in 2004 and it was only 1 year old at the time. I got it for something like $6000 - $7000 cheaper than same exact model that was brand new. Still driving that gem today with well over 100,000 miles on it.
02-28-2013 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-28-2013 09:49 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Agreed, and the poor financial decision is the epitome of America today. It used to be buying a used car was a risk because you didn't know if you were buying a lemon or a salvage and cars were only reliable for about 50k miles. That is no longer the case.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 09:58 AM by EverRespect.)
02-28-2013 09:56 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

(02-28-2013 09:56 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Agreed, and the poor financial decision is the epitome of America today. It used to be buying a used car was a risk because you didn't know if you were buying a lemon or a salvage and cars were only reliable for about 50k miles. That is no longer the case.

Yep, unfortunately most folks see a car as some sort of status symbol. Why that is I have no idea.
02-28-2013 10:22 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(02-28-2013 07:06 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cars-incre...57880.html

Yeah. I guess so. THe new workers had to take a big pay cut and can no longer afford to buy that new car that they built on the assembly line.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 10:57 AM by RobertN.)
02-28-2013 10:57 AM
DrTorch Offline

Poor financial decision? If nobody buys new cars, then where do used ones come from?

I think your flawed, idealized notion of how the world works is a bigger problem.
02-28-2013 10:59 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
(02-28-2013 10:59 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Poor financial decision? If nobody buys new cars, then where do used ones come from?

I think your flawed, idealized notion of how the world works is a bigger problem.

Expired leases.
02-28-2013 11:57 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(02-28-2013 10:59 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

People will always buy new cars, just saying it's not a very smart financial move, that's all.
02-28-2013 12:06 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The last time I bought a new vehicle I waited until the new models came out, and bought the previous year's model. They had to sell it as a used vehicle, since it wasn't the new model. So I got a used vehicle with only 32 miles on it...
02-28-2013 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
The last new vehicle I bought was in 1985...and it will be the last. It is just not a very good financial decision. The cost of these things has skyrocketed because of the Union contract entitlements.

I looked at a Chevy pickup recently that has a sticker price higher than my first home.01-wingedeagle
02-28-2013 01:26 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(02-28-2013 12:30 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The last time I bought a new vehicle I waited until the new models came out, and bought the previous year's model. They had to sell it as a used vehicle, since it wasn't the new model. So I got a used vehicle with only 32 miles on it...

The last 2 I bought were 2 years old with warranty intact. Even with saving a ton over brand new..I still felt like I got raped. The price of these things is bordering on stupid.
02-28-2013 01:31 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(02-28-2013 01:26 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  The last new vehicle I bought was in 1985...and it will be the last. It is just not a very good financial decision. The cost of these things has skyrocketed because of the Union contract entitlements.

I looked at a Chevy pickup recently that has a sticker price higher than my first home.01-wingedeagle
So what explains the price of a Toyota or a Nissan? I guess you can say it about the price of a Hyundai or Kia-if they were built in Korea.
02-28-2013 01:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.