Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT- Special Moment in El Paso High School Basketball
Bookmark and Share
stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
OT- Special Moment in El Paso High School Basketball
I think a thread like this came out when the story first happened but here is the story CBS news did on it. It is linked into a story from the El Paso Times. It really makes me proud to be a Coronado High School Alum.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_22649424/w...ost_viewed
02-27-2013 09:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: OT- Special Moment in El Paso High School Basketball
Saw that the other day.

Caused me to throttle back on my cynical nature briefly.
02-27-2013 09:38 AM
MondoMiner Offline
Adelantado and Captain-General

I Root For: Los Mineros
ESPN is picking up the story tomorrow morning.
02-28-2013 12:32 AM
Searching59 Offline
Bench Warmer

Really proud of the Franklin player!
02-28-2013 01:21 AM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Im willing to bet with parents and coaches like that that you wont ever see a player involved in that game with their name listed in a police blotter.
02-28-2013 06:03 PM
stanman505 Offline
All American

I was reading some of the stuff on the ESPN page about this story. I cannot believe people are trashing the story. They are bad mouthing players from both teams, the coaches and the officials.
02-28-2013 09:40 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(02-28-2013 09:40 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  I was reading some of the stuff on the ESPN page about this story. I cannot believe people are trashing the story. They are bad mouthing players from both teams, the coaches and the officials.

There are a lot of stupid people in the world.
02-28-2013 09:56 PM
Advertisement

cocky Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
(02-28-2013 09:40 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  I was reading some of the stuff on the ESPN page about this story. I cannot believe people are trashing the story. They are bad mouthing players from both teams, the coaches and the officials.

Saying what exactly? Depending on what they say, i might agree. All i hear is how handicap people want to be treated the same as everyone else. So why do this? Put him in the game, let him play like anyone else. Sure, TRY to let him score, but going this far completely takes away from the "treat them like everyone else" people always preach.
02-28-2013 10:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(02-28-2013 10:09 PM)cocky Wrote:  

Saying what exactly? Depending on what they say, i might agree. All i hear is how handicap people want to be treated the same as everyone else. So why do this? Put him in the game, let him play like anyone else. Sure, TRY to let him score, but going this far completely takes away from the "treat them like everyone else" people always preach.

that kid will talk about the time he got to play ball in High School for the rest of his life. Until you've lived with someone that has is mentally retarded or has down syndrome and how special something like this is to them you'll never understand how wrong you are. They want to be included in everything and sometimes that means going above and beyond to make sure they are truly included. The entire student body was behind that kid scoring.

The coach could have put him and told the PG to not pass the ball to him and let him run around in uniform and the kid would have enjoyed it. The opposing player that gave him the ball obviously understood what sportsmanship meant and it was classy to do it.

Sadly no one in the national media will remember this in 3 months but for that kid it is a lifelong memory.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 10:39 PM by Dracorex.)
02-28-2013 10:35 PM
cocky Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Like I said.. I wasn't against him being in or them getting him the ball. It should be done the same way anyone else on his team would get the ball, though.
03-01-2013 12:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Yea.. You ooze sportsmanship.

Sportsmanship is more than slapping hands after the game and saying "Good game" to the other opponent. From what I understood Coronado basically played 4 on 5, and was up 15 pts with 2 seconds left. The kid from the other team decided to give the guy another chance to score.

At the end of the day, this kid will remember playing in the game and scoring two points. And that's all that should matter.
03-01-2013 09:01 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Yeah, zero impact on the outcome of the game, at least in terms of score.

One kid will remember the time he got to play and hit a shot for the rest of his life. A kid that will likely have to play small ball in terms of personal triumphs for his whole life.

Another kid showed an example of kindness that we could all use a little more of.

And maybe everybody else will remember it, too. The night human compassion trumped the "No mercy!" attitude that pervades modern sports.

The horror.
03-01-2013 09:46 AM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
After watching the video, I don't think the basket should have counted. He clearly shot it after the buzzer. The refs should have at least gone to the replay.

And, as I've said before...

(02-24-2013 12:08 AM)STexMiner Wrote:  As a Franklin grad, this is complete and total BS. We're not talking Burges or Eastwood here. We're talking Coronado. Back in my day, we'd get out of school, head to the nearest alley, and have choreographed dance-offs/knife fights. And, we had to walk barefoot in the snow. Uphill. Both ways to get there. Now we're teaching compassion and consideration of others? What ever happened to the good old fashioned value of blind regional hatred?
03-01-2013 03:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.