Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Ground Pounders
Bookmark and Share
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
Rice Ground Pounders
Dave Campbell's Texas Football sez the Owls will have a potent ground game in 2013.

Looking for a team to make a leap in 2013 on the ground? Try Rice. Their top eight rushers – Charles Ross, Taylor McHargue, Turner Petersen, Jeremy Eddington, Luke Turner, Brandon Hamilton , Driphus Jackson and Jordan Taylor, all return. They lose 36 yards of rushing from WR Vance McDonald and RB Sam McGuffie. The Owls rushing attack suddenly looks loaded.
02-26-2013 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
RE: Rice Ground Pounders
(02-26-2013 05:19 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Dave Campbell's Texas Football sez the Owls will have a potent ground game in 2013.

Looking for a team to make a leap in 2013 on the ground? Try Rice. Their top eight rushers – Charles Ross, Taylor McHargue, Turner Petersen, Jeremy Eddington, Luke Turner, Brandon Hamilton , Driphus Jackson and Jordan Taylor, all return. They lose 36 yards of rushing from WR Vance McDonald and RB Sam McGuffie. The Owls rushing attack suddenly looks loaded.

Appreciate the pub from DCTF, but "suddenly looks loaded"? It's been pretty loaded the past two seasons as well, and Rice finished 29th in the nation (2nd in CUSA) in rushing last season with over 200 yards per game on the ground.
02-26-2013 05:27 PM
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(02-26-2013 05:27 PM)talon owl Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 05:19 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Dave Campbell's Texas Football sez the Owls will have a potent ground game in 2013.

Appreciate the pub from DCTF, but "suddenly looks loaded"? It's been pretty loaded the past two seasons as well, and Rice finished 29th in the nation (2nd in CUSA) in rushing last season with over 200 yards per game on the ground.

Yeah that's not great reasoning either. Just because you keep your top 8 rushers doesn't mean they will be good. Especially when 2 of them are quarterbacks and 1 is a wide receiver.
02-26-2013 06:34 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
Peterson made me leave in the third against you guys....of course so did a few other teams last year.

I hope you guys have a great season and someone steps up out west to give Tulsa a run at it.
02-26-2013 10:14 PM
Advertisement

2mean Online
Bench Warmer

I Root For: guess
What happened with McGuffie? I expected him to be a major factor for you, but he did he even start?
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 01:07 PM by 2mean.)
02-27-2013 01:07 PM
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(02-27-2013 01:07 PM)2mean Wrote:  What happened with McGuffie? I expected him to be a major factor for you, but he did he even start?

He started until his senior year at running back, was less of a factor than I thought he would be as well. His senior year, he played slot receiver, and that might have been a better fit for him. He wasn't bad at running back and our play calling didn't use him well at all. He's a speed guy and we kept running him up the middle. However, he always showed less shiftiness than you would like, although his straight line speed was impressive. I don't recall him making too many people miss.
02-27-2013 01:28 PM
2mean Online
Bench Warmer

I Root For: guess
(02-27-2013 01:28 PM)07owl Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 01:07 PM)2mean Wrote:  What happened with McGuffie? I expected him to be a major factor for you, but he did he even start?

He started until his senior year at running back, was less of a factor than I thought he would be as well. His senior year, he played slot receiver, and that might have been a better fit for him. He wasn't bad at running back and our play calling didn't use him well at all. He's a speed guy and we kept running him up the middle. However, he always showed less shiftiness than you would like, although his straight line speed was impressive. I don't recall him making too many people miss.

Ah, I see. So I'm guessing he wasn't hurdling people like he did in that high school video.
02-27-2013 04:55 PM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(02-27-2013 01:28 PM)07owl Wrote:  

Before the season the coaches told us they had a bunch of different ways to get him the ball. From what I saw he was used very conventionally. Still, he had a nice season receiving, 54-603-5 which put him ahead of McDonald on the stat sheet, even though McDonald and Taylor seemed to get what publicity there was.

He posted some crazy numbers at the regional combine. Hopefully an NFL team will give him a chance.
02-28-2013 09:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.