Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
The Cronin Extremists
Taken from Lance's blog:

The Cronin Extremists

[Image: 4977_1361891382.jpg]

Extremist: One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm...a person who favors or resorts to immoderate, uncompromising, or fanatical methods or behavior......see critics of Mick Cronin.

I like asking the question why?. It's a simple, yet powerful question. It calls for an explanation. Each time I ask the Mick Cronin Extremists to explain their rationale for calling for Mick's firing, I get what amounts to a blank stare.

What makes those fans believe that A+B=F.....as in fired?
Why can't A+B=F....as in fix?

Why are fans so quick to skip the process of adjusting and improving?
"Fire _______ has become the default position for fans in Cincinnati. If it's not Mick, it's Dusty Baker or Marvin Lewis. It's a lazy response. It's one that requires no thought. It's knee-jerk. It's simple. Thankfully, athletic directors, general managers and owners don't think this way. Can you imagine the chaos if they did?

Anyone can yell, call, tweet and/or post to fire _______. Heck, they can do it from the comfort of their parents basement. But when I ask those same people why?, they scatter like cockroaches when the kitchen light goes on. It's as though the Cronin Extremists simply never wanted him in Clifton and never wanted him to succeed.

I do believe the statute of limitations has expired on the bullet point of "look what Mick inherited". Mick was hired nearly seven years ago. It does a disservice to continue dragging the program back to that past. The program has come too far.

Mick's seventh edition of the Bearcats has issues and limitations. They have lost three in a row, 4 of 5 and are just 7-9 since December 27. But they are also a team with 19 wins, four of those wins over RPI Top 50 teams. One more win makes it three consecutive 20-win seasons, for the first time since 2004-2006.

At the moment, UC projects as an NCAA tournament team. I'm not sure it's a good thing they have three regular season games remaining. But plenty of teams have wobbled into the tournament, only to then make a run.

The reality is the Bearcats don't shoot well, they don't finish well, and they don't pass it all that well. They do defend and they do usually rebound. I've debated which UC flaws are fixable all season. This team is what it is. There is only so much to reinvent at this point. I would like to see UC try to run and press more. I know, easier said than done. But the last thing I want is UC in a half-court offense. If it takes using walk-ons and hockey like substitution lines to push the tempo, then so be it.

The offense lacks movement and flow. A healthy Cashmere Wright would certainly help that. But it's probably not realistic to think Cash gets healthy this season.

It does not help when your offense is 2.5 players, Sean Kilpatrick, JaQuon Parker and half a Wright. Somehow, Mick recruited front-line players with zero offensive ability, from Cheik Mbodj to David Nayrasuk, Justin Jackson and Kelvin Gaines.

That's UC basketball now. As for UC basketball future, I believe Mick needs to fine-tune and re-focus recruiting. UC needs basketball players over long and athletic players. Give me a player with a go-to move that can create his own shot. Give me a come off a screen, square up, and pull the trigger sharp-shooter.

I used to joke that Bob Huggins needed an offensive coordinator. I've thought the same watching Mick's offense. I can appreciate defense and getting after it. But you still have to execute a basketball term, scoring the ball. It's great to be near the top of the Big East in points allowed and field goal defense. It's not great to be at the bottom of the Big East scrum in shooting and scoring.

But what I continue to struggle with is the conclusion of the Cronin Extremists that Mick should be fired. Here's that question again: why?
Maybe the extremists are Huggophiles in hiding. The Bob Huggins backers must have lost track of a West Virginia season (13-14) that has come off the tracks and a coach that appears to have mailed in recruiting, again.

Maybe those fans are clinging to the AK days. Ole Andy Kennedy just might get Ole Miss to the dance, for the first time in his seven seasons.
But back to Mick and the questions. Who fires a coach after making back to back NCAA tournament appearances? Can you imagine how UC would be viewed nationally if Whit Babcock fired a coach after leading them to their first Sweet 16 appearance since 2001?

Under Mick, a winning tradition has been restored and a sense of pride has returned. A 19-9 season, yet to even be completed, does not tear down the rebuilding. UC could still make it three straight NCAA tournament appearances. Either way, why can't the demand be to simply fix issues and get better? Mick has certainly earned that chance.
The fact this topic even has be be addressed leads to a bigger issue. Why would any coach, playing in a glorified high school gym, in a conference that's been picked over like a carcass on the side of the road, at a school that has clearly pushed its chips to the football side of the table, want to continue to deal with it? What do you think?:

02-26-2013 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
RE: The Cronin Extremists
It's weird. I've seen zero posts on here about firing Cronin since the downturn this season. I know zero people that have told me Cronin should be fired, but apparently that is all radio people hear. More proof it's the craziest of the crazy that call in those shows.

02-26-2013 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
coachpipe Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
The comments on the Facebook page and twitter pages are just annoying. It's fire mick this and that with no other solutions given or any ideas of what needs to be done now. It's just. Fire him!! Have you watched this team play?!

And yes. This team is awful. I see this. But at the same time. I also see mick screaming ever offensive possession trying to get people in the right spot. We're in the end of the season. How do players not know where to be and what to do? That's on them. We can't make layups and free throws. How's that on mick? It's his job to get them into the position to make the shots. They don't make them. We are running 2 on 5 every time. Recruiting has been a giant issue. Not all on mick though. Gaines, Nyarsuk and mbodj were not micks first recruits he was going after. He didn't get those guys to commit. I think the arena plays a part in that. They need better seating in there. Bowl seating all the way around. Those corners shouldn't be cut off like that. I don't know how that would effect other sports being played there.

Every team knows SK is our only scorer. So keep your best defender on him and annoy the **** out of SK and you shut him down. You never need to help on D when the ball is in the paint because they aren't going to hurt you.

We weren't going to be the same team as last year. Gates controlled those games we won jn the tourney. He makes you double team him for the easy kick out bucket. If the team doesn't have to worry about double teaming anyone this team will struggle. That's not all on mick I'm sorry it's on the players who can not make wide open shots, free throws and layups. Defense keeps them in every game ( this last game doesn't count). If they could make their open shots they win. But they haven't which has cost them a lot of games.

But all I'm really saying is. I don't think mick should be fired and I don't think it should even be brought up

02-26-2013 11:50 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
(02-26-2013 11:46 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  It's weird. I've seen zero posts on here about firing Cronin since the downturn this season. I know zero people that have told me Cronin should be fired, but apparently that is all radio people hear. More proof it's the craziest of the crazy that call in those shows.

x2.

02-26-2013 11:53 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Who wrote that crap anyway? Why no similar version about Chris Mack? His season has been pretty underwhelming so far.
Sounds to me like someone is making sh*t up to try and gin up some listeners. Must be a ratings month.

02-26-2013 11:58 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Typical Lance crap.

02-26-2013 12:18 PM
Advertisement

BCatInChicago Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bearcats
Are you guys serious? The in-game threads on this board is nothing but "mick has to go" "mick sucks" type of crap. People are even calling this a terrible team that as someone pointed out on another thread is at nearly the same juncture as they were last season. Granted the team is struggling of late and I'm not going to argue that. But the pure pessimism and negativity around the team is appalling by the so called "fans". Something has got to change with the team and I am in the boat that thinks it will get done. Every team hits a rough patch and its just a matter of how they handle that adversity. There is still a lot of season left.

02-26-2013 12:18 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Why does anyone continue to pay attention to LM? As mentioned above, where is the same post for Eggs? They are an atrocious team. Why does the Eggs fanbase get a pass? Are there similar posts for Reds/Bungles fans? Those fanbases consistenly call for Dusty and Marvin's firing every year. As Mark said - I do not see that talk on here.

02-26-2013 12:19 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I agree about the s**t-stirring. While I do think there A FEW people who want Mick canned, and they are undoubtedly, generally Huggs people still resentful of "Traitor Mick", those have done a good job staying off of this, and other, Bearcat boards. Aside from isolated cases, I think those people, by and large, have generally migrated to the WVU side.

Now, I think the middle of the post is worth reading, and is in-line with just about all of our frustrations:

Quote:At the moment, UC projects as an NCAA tournament team. I'm not sure it's a good thing they have three regular season games remaining. But plenty of teams have wobbled into the tournament, only to then make a run.

The reality is the Bearcats don't shoot well, they don't finish well, and they don't pass it all that well. They do defend and they do usually rebound. I've debated which UC flaws are fixable all season. This team is what it is. There is only so much to reinvent at this point. I would like to see UC try to run and press more. I know, easier said than done. But the last thing I want is UC in a half-court offense. If it takes using walk-ons and hockey like substitution lines to push the tempo, then so be it.

The offense lacks movement and flow. A healthy Cashmere Wright would certainly help that. But it's probably not realistic to think Cash gets healthy this season.

It does not help when your offense is 2.5 players, Sean Kilpatrick, JaQuon Parker and half a Wright. Somehow, Mick recruited front-line players with zero offensive ability, from Cheik Mbodj to David Nayrasuk, Justin Jackson and Kelvin Gaines.

That's UC basketball now. As for UC basketball future, I believe Mick needs to fine-tune and re-focus recruiting. UC needs basketball players over long and athletic players. Give me a player with a go-to move that can create his own shot. Give me a come off a screen, square up, and pull the trigger sharp-shooter.

I used to joke that Bob Huggins needed an offensive coordinator. I've thought the same watching Mick's offense. I can appreciate defense and getting after it. But you still have to execute a basketball term, scoring the ball. It's great to be near the top of the Big East in points allowed and field goal defense. It's not great to be at the bottom of the Big East scrum in shooting and scoring.

The thing most frustrating about the ND game was seeing post players OFF THE BENCH take drop steps, and actual offensive moves. I do put, squarely on Mick, the complete inability to recruit inside scorers of any kind, knowing that up to last year, Gates was our ONLY such option.

Same sentiment over Justin Jackson's ZERO development in that area. He is the same player who came in, and still is quick inside, and shows "flashes". The "flashes" should have been over with two years ago. He should have been a WEAPON by now, with just about any developmental progression.

Gates was an offensive player when he came in. He went into conditioning/agility drills and became a capable defensive player - no shot-blocker by any means, but someone who can effectively use his bulk in the position game. AND he was able to still score very efficiently. Although I had hope the likes of JJ and Cheikh would be further along than they are now, I suspected we would miss what Yancy gave us.

02-26-2013 12:20 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(02-26-2013 12:18 PM)BCatInChicago Wrote:  Are you guys serious? The in-game threads on this board is nothing but "mick has to go" "mick sucks" type of crap. People are even calling this a terrible team that as someone pointed out on another thread is at nearly the same juncture as they were last season. Granted the team is struggling of late and I'm not going to argue that. But the pure pessimism and negativity around the team is appalling by the so called "fans". Something has got to change with the team and I am in the boat that thinks it will get done. Every team hits a rough patch and its just a matter of how they handle that adversity. There is still a lot of season left.

That is what happens with game threads. Do people really say he should be fired in those threads?

02-26-2013 12:27 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(02-26-2013 12:27 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 12:18 PM)BCatInChicago Wrote:  Are you guys serious? The in-game threads on this board is nothing but "mick has to go" "mick sucks" type of crap. People are even calling this a terrible team that as someone pointed out on another thread is at nearly the same juncture as they were last season. Granted the team is struggling of late and I'm not going to argue that. But the pure pessimism and negativity around the team is appalling by the so called "fans". Something has got to change with the team and I am in the boat that thinks it will get done. Every team hits a rough patch and its just a matter of how they handle that adversity. There is still a lot of season left.

That is what happens with game threads. Do people really say he should be fired in those threads?

Please show me the "Mick has to go / Mick sucks" from game threads. People are going to be critical of the team and coach when they are playing this poorly. Should we be talking about how awesome they look and what a great job Mick is doing getting them to run offense? There is a far cry from being critical of a team who has been dreadful of late, and calling for a coach to be fired.

02-26-2013 12:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
This isn't just a Lance or radio thing. It has more to do with Twitter. After every loss Mo Egger always gets a bunch of tweets saying Mick should be fired. It gets to the point where he'll send out a tweet saying firing the coach is not an option. Just because we haven't seen it on this board doesn't mean it's not consistently out there.

02-26-2013 12:50 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I actually remember an interaction between Decourcy and Mo both saying how silly their fire-Cronin followers were.

I quit following Lance after the Tenman and Urban Meyer garbage but his job is to generate conversation and he's obviously got people reacting.

02-26-2013 12:55 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(02-26-2013 12:50 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  This isn't just a Lance or radio thing. It has more to do with Twitter. After every loss Mo Egger always gets a bunch of tweets saying Mick should be fired. It gets to the point where he'll send out a tweet saying firing the coach is not an option. Just because we haven't seen it on this board doesn't mean it's not consistently out there.

Just looked at Mo's twitter page from the game on Sunday, worse game of the year, no fire Cronin tweets were made.

02-26-2013 12:57 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
FIRE LANCE! ...How is that for being "lazy"

I think being "lazy" is automatically characterizing those who don't think Mick is a good coach as "Huggophiles". On the contrary, I would bet you that the same people who think Mick isn't a good offensive coach are the some people who complained about Huggs' offensive limitations.

Do I think Mick can coach an effective offense...no. Do I think firing him because there is another Tommy Tuberville type coach waiting in the wings to be hired....no.

I think he is young enough to still learn a few things, and become a better coach, but I think fans just don't have the patience to wait for a coach to "grow" after already 7 years getting the program back to a respectable level.

02-26-2013 01:00 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2013 12:57 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 12:50 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  This isn't just a Lance or radio thing. It has more to do with Twitter. After every loss Mo Egger always gets a bunch of tweets saying Mick should be fired. It gets to the point where he'll send out a tweet saying firing the coach is not an option. Just because we haven't seen it on this board doesn't mean it's not consistently out there.

Just looked at Mo's twitter page from the game on Sunday, worse game of the year, no fire Cronin tweets were made.

Very surprising considering you'd even see that crap after close losses. Maybe the fire Mick clan just rests on the Sabbath?

02-26-2013 01:04 PM
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
With guys like Lance and Mo, if they hear "Fire Mick" from two people then in thier minds the entire UC fanbase is extremist and crazy. Those guys let the minority become the majority just so they have more to talk about. They make the UC fanbase sound like stupid extremists when in reality UC's fanbase is no different than any other BCS-level fanbase.

02-26-2013 01:07 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(02-26-2013 01:04 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  

Very surprising considering you'd even see that crap after close losses. Maybe the fire Mick clan just rests on the Sabbath?

I see posts critical of coaching, coaches, player development, players, game planning etc. Can you provide evidence of fire Mick posts from these threads?

02-26-2013 01:14 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2013 01:14 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 01:04 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  

I see posts critical of coaching, coaches, player development, players, game planning etc. Can you provide evidence of fire Mick posts from these threads?

No specific examples sent to Mo without going back through everything. A simple search did find a number of examples within the past week though. Even a UK fan (Brad Cooper) defending Mick.

Brad Cooper
‏@btcoop71
Some Cincinnati fans seriously want to fire Mick Cronin and hire Bruce "5 year show cause" Pearl. Wow.
https://twitter.com/btcoop71/status/306203241601957889

Wildcat Nation
‏@woodzzy1017
Will UC ever fire Mick Cronin??? #HORRIBLE
https://twitter.com/woodzzy1017/status/3...6225145856

Ian Howard
‏@ianhoward87
gosh the #Bearcats are bad. I wish we'd fire Mick Cronin and hire me. I'd win about 10 more games every year. Why? I have a real strategy...
https://twitter.com/ianhoward87/status/3...8541854720

Max
‏@MaxwoodsonW
Seriously if we lose tonight Fire Mick Cronin he sucks anyway
https://twitter.com/MaxwoodsonW/status/3...3019298816

Sean Fitzgerald ‏@seanmfitzgerald
fire mick? i think yes

The Dr. ‏@C_Elam4
Fire Mick

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 01:55 PM by Bearcat04.)
02-26-2013 01:51 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(02-26-2013 12:27 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

No they don't. I read criticisms of the team, the way they're playing and of the coach during game threads, but I don't see much if any "Mick has to go". Characterizing the game threads as "nothing but Mick has to go and Mick sucks" is about as dumb as Lance's characterizations of the fan base. We are all disappointed in how the season is now going. Anyone not disappointed in the last month plus of the season either has no pulse or no clue. But disappointment is a far cry from calling for the coach's head. People are disappointed because while they recognize obvious weaknesses on this team and with the bigs, they see a team with enough talent and ability at other positions to be better than whatever the hell we are in the last half dozen or so conference games.

No matter what though, you've got people like Lance and others who want to take any ounce of angst or criticism and turn that into something bigger, like people hate Mick or Mick can't win with the fans here.

02-26-2013 01:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.