WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lions draft discussion
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Lions draft discussion
As we work through the NFL combine... wondering what the Lions fans here think about the upcomming draft.

I have no clue what head scratcher pick they will make this year...
02-26-2013 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

RE: Lions draft discussion
Can we trade all of our draft picks for a new coaching staff?
02-26-2013 09:28 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
^
I can't believe this isn't getting more play. FIRE SCHWARTZ!!
02-26-2013 12:44 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

With our new cap room, they should trade all picks for ONE proven commodity. It would be the most successful draft in years.
02-26-2013 12:46 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Lions are only a few players away from being better than the team from two seasons ago. Too many injuries at DB and RB and the toughest schedule in the NFL last year.

If Burleson and Broyals come back and Pettegrew gets and stays healthy the receivers will be fine. Maybe draft one in the third of fourth round. They've restructured a lot of contracts and will have cap room to pick up some Olinemen in free agency. Draft one in the later rounds.

If it appears that Javed Best is done then cut him loose.

DB's situation is not as bad as it appears. Rookie Bill Bentley looked good before he was injured as did Chris Greenwood (Albion College) before he was injured. I still believe a DB should be a Lion priority. If I'd take DeMillner out of Bama if he is there at 5. If not they may have to take Eric Fisher (although he hasn't looked that great at the combine) because Cherlis is a free agent.

They could lose both Brant and Levy to free agency. If they do they're going to need a LBer in the 2nd round. Hopefully the rumor that Teo is gay will drop him in the draft and he could end up being available in the second round. If Giovani Bernard RB is available I'd take him.
02-26-2013 07:54 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
This draft is so deep at the DE's and S's its ridiculous. I would draft Joeckel or Fisher if they are available. If they aren't, then try to trade down to get more picks. I think you can get an instant starter on the Dline and/or Saftey in the second or third rounds (maybe even later). Depending on how it plays out, you can also get a play maker WR or RB in the second. And it isn't very expensive to trade up in the second round if such a player is still left.

I really hope somebody from a position we don't need drops to 5 because then we can get quite a coup in return for that pick. Just like the Jets did for Sanchez.
02-26-2013 09:42 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
I'd like to see if we could trade Sammy Hill for a 3rd or 4th round pick (we have no 4th round pick). We're in good shape at DT, and Hill has market value. He's got game experience, makes plays, and is only in his 4th year.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 10:48 PM by Chipdip.)
02-26-2013 10:46 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
If both Brant and Levy leave for another team then we have to draft a Lber by the 3rd round.

I think they will be fine at DE if they resign Cliff Avril and have Willie Young on the other side. That being the case I agree, go for a safety in the 3rd round. Possibly try and trade up to the 2nd round and get Eric Reid.

Of note, guys at the combine project Teo for round 2
02-26-2013 11:05 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
My post was with the assumption of Avril not being resigned. He is not even close to a 10 killion dollar a year player. And he wants even more than that.
02-27-2013 07:38 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Avril was absent last year. Overrated.
02-27-2013 08:06 AM
dunkface Offline
Special Teams

I think the Lions draft priorities should be as follows:

1. Rebuild the defense.
2. Rebuild the OL.
3. Offensive skill-positions.

Milliner or Werner would be my top choice if either is available. Both offer exciting possibilities. A potential secondary of Milliner, a re-signed Chris Houston, a healthy Bill Bentley and Greenwood, Green, Smith or maybe a token vet (Florence?) for depth could have the makings of a pretty solid group of corners. Werner would join Fairley, Suh, Hill and Young as part of young DL core that could be together for awhile. Either of those possibilities I'd be happy with.

The OL is something that HAS to be addressed. Even if the Lions took Joeckel or Fisher with their top pick, that serves a need. Having Reiff and another first-round tackle would be a huge value going forward. The line has been too old (Backus) or bad (Raiola, Peterman) recently. Having good skill-position players doesn't have value if you don't have time to throw or lanes to run through. Two young tackles, a potential Backus move to RG to finish out his career, Sims and Bill Nagy/Raiola on the line could be surprisingly good. It's surprising to me how well-thought of Cherilus is by sites such as Pro Football Focus and National Football Post, so I guess he would be an ok alternative. I've never had strong feelings on him one way or the other. Rotoworld predicted the Lions would sign Adam Levitre to play RG, which could make Backus expendable in a trade.

I don't think drafting offensive skill positions needs to be a big priority in the draft. There are plenty of potential good-value FA's that can contribute at those positions. I'd like to see the Lions spend on short-term free agent deals such as Steve Breaston or Danny Woodhead whose skill-sets are known rather than overpay for a name like Reggie Bush or draft a skill-position player high. Other guys that could fit the bill: Johnny Knox, Brian Leonard, Felix Jones, Donnie Avery, Austin Collie, Rashad Jennings, Julian Edelman, Rashard Mendenhall (gamble coming off injury), Ronnie Brown, Ted Ginn and Brandon Gibson.

I also agree on letting Avril walk. He's not worth the money he's sure to be asking for. A rotation of cost-effective veterans capable of taking advantage of double-teams on Suh could offer similar production for less money, or a draft pick that could develop into a core piece is more valuable in my opinion.

I think ideally they take the best defensive player available in each of the first three rounds and stash on OL prospect or two in the later rounds.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 09:28 AM by dunkface.)
02-27-2013 09:19 AM
Advertisement

WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
The Lions have NEVER had a true playmaker at CB. If he is there, I would take Millner at #5. If he is gone, then take the top pass rusher available.

Then I'd take a chance in the 3rd round with the Honey Badger and try to have a pair of young playmakers on the outside of the defense. Of course, he will probably get suspended for smoking weed before the season starts, but I'd still take the risk.

IMO, the biggest problem with the Lions (other than coaching) is the fact that they have ZERO impact playmakers on defense. They need to address that if they ever want to be able to make a big stop late in games.
02-27-2013 12:22 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

Bly was good! Sort of.
02-27-2013 01:08 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

Fan base has been blinded by the playoff appearance and unbelievable stats two years ago. Throw in MegaTron's record breaking season in 2012...and everyone wants to ignore that the problem has to do with the coaches.
02-27-2013 01:15 PM
dunkface Offline
Special Teams

(02-27-2013 01:15 PM)EA3 Wrote:  Fan base has been blinded by the playoff appearance and unbelievable stats two years ago. Throw in MegaTron's record breaking season in 2012...and everyone wants to ignore that the problem has to do with the coaches.

The problem is personnel as much as it is coaching. They got unbelievably lucky in the playoff run. Every single break that entire season went their way and numerous players overachieved. That was as much luck as it was talent.
02-27-2013 01:41 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
I agree. In 2011, they got EVERY bounce to go their way and made a couple crazy late comebacks to win. In 2012, they lost ALL of those games.
02-27-2013 01:45 PM
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

I agree...my main problem has to do with the following:

Being one of the most penalized team in the league during Schwartz' tenure. Last year was slightly better, but still in the bottom half of the league. His first three years we were in the bottom 8 once, and the bottom 3 two times. (I might be slightly off, that's from memory)

The Lions are not disciplined and it drives me nuts.
02-27-2013 02:04 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
We werent as good as the 10 win playoff team wad and we weren't as good as the 4 win team last year. I think we were a 7 win tream the past two years. But as they say...you are only as good as your record reflects.
02-27-2013 02:54 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
They had the toughest schedule in the NFL last year. Petegrew injured, Delmas injured, Bentley, Broyals, Burleson injured, nut case WR. Best not available, Vandenbosh ineffective.

I think the schedule had the most to do with it. San Fran, Houston, GB twice, Colts, Atlanta, all playoff teams.

Good wins included Seattle and the Eagles on the road.

Bad losses included both Viking losses, Titans loss, and the Arizona loss.

Lions were in every game except the Arizona game.

Stay healthy, get one or two impact players, they'll have an easier schedule, and I see them winning 10 or more again.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 05:43 PM by Chipdip.)
02-27-2013 05:42 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

^
Only if they get a rb to compliment LeShore's tough game.
02-27-2013 06:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.