Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

ESPN article - Memphis mention (you wont like it)
Bookmark and Share
cbhstiger Offline
Phantom Mercenary

I Root For: Brewpubs
ESPN article - Memphis mention (you wont like it)
Myron Medcalf

THE RUNDOWN

Numbers to consider

Memphis: The Tigers are riding an 18-game winning streak, tied with Akron as the nation's longest active winning streak. Josh Pastner's program possesses the athleticism to run with any team in the country (38th in adjusted tempo per Pomeroy). The Tigers are clearly the class of Conference USA. But their turnover issues could be their downfall once March Madness begins. They've committed turnovers on 21.3 percent of their possession, 240th in the country. Remember that when you pick Memphis to make a run in the Big Dance.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 01:45 PM by Derby.)
02-25-2013 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
RE: ESPN article - Memphis mention ( you wont like it)
Fair enough...our kids do turn it over a good amount.

However, that is natural with the style of play...
02-25-2013 02:01 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(02-25-2013 01:59 PM)cbhstiger Wrote:  Myron Medcalf

THE RUNDOWN

Numbers to consider

Memphis: The Tigers are riding an 18-game winning streak, tied with Akron as the nation's longest active winning streak. Josh Pastner's program possesses the athleticism to run with any team in the country (38th in adjusted tempo per Pomeroy). The Tigers are clearly the class of Conference USA. But their turnover issues could be their downfall once March Madness begins. They've committed turnovers on 21.3 percent of their possession, 240th in the country. Remember that when you pick Memphis to make a run in the Big Dance.

Very fair criticism...

Nothing not to like, just facts...I really don't see any negative opinions
02-25-2013 02:02 PM
NJ1 Offline
King of Kong

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
yeah, I don't like it... but it's fair. It's the facts that I don't like.
02-25-2013 02:03 PM
cbhstiger Offline
Phantom Mercenary

(02-25-2013 02:02 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

THE RUNDOWN

Numbers to consider

Very fair criticism...

Nothing not to like, just facts...I really don't see any negative opinions

You can dislike something that is true. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 02:04 PM by cbhstiger.)
02-25-2013 02:04 PM
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

Facts are true. Sometimes I worry about the turnovers, but usually those happen when we are ahead by a lot and just trying to many crazy plays. I like to take the Memphis vs Southern Miss game, in Hattiesburg, as an example. That was a road game, against a good opponent and we turned it over only 10 times. And if you guys remember watching that one play out, we played exceptional ball - especially with the ball movement, etc.

Turnovers do suck though.
02-25-2013 02:06 PM
Advertisement

21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
When we hit the stretch, we will tighten it up.
02-25-2013 02:14 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

Against Southern Miss we only had 11 to's the first game and 13 the second game. Southern Miss averages 18 for the year. I always look at how many turnovers that we commit vs. how many steals that the other team got. That can give some indication of how many unforced turnovers that we committed. If you look at the So Miss game we had 13 turnovers and they had 7 steals. Usually the ratio is somewhere around half of the steals are turnovers. Anything beyond that is usually unforced turnovers. If you look at the Houston game we had 19 turnovers but Houston only had 6 steals. Just some poor decision making.

The worst thing that we do but we have gotten better with is turning the other team over and then committing an immediate turnover trying to force a fast break.

We have really gotten better at not committing as many offensive fouls which are turnovers.
02-25-2013 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

THE RUNDOWN

Numbers to consider

Just curious... Why would people dislike a fair criticism?

Is there a problem with people on this message board thinking anything that isn't praise is a flame job?
02-25-2013 02:30 PM
TigerFan386 Offline
1st String

We are averaging 14.85 tpg, would love to see that number around 11 or 12. However we are 16th in the country for steals per game at just over 9, and at least have forced more turnovers (428) than we have turnovers for ourselves (401).
02-25-2013 02:33 PM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
(02-25-2013 02:27 PM)mairving Wrote:  Anything beyond that is usually unforced turnovers. If you look at the Houston game we had 19 turnovers but Houston only had 6 steals.

Against Houston, we had several offensive fouls (moving picks, etc.). The officials were calling it a lot on both ends. Those ended up being included in the turnover total.

Then again, we had 2 or 3 silly TO's at the end of the game where we did not take care of the ball.

I think that except for that Houston game, our team has improved at taking care of the ball.
02-25-2013 02:35 PM
Advertisement

Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
(02-25-2013 02:33 PM)TigerFan386 Wrote:  We are averaging 14.85 tpg, would love to see that number around 11 or 12. However we are 16th in the country for steals per game at just over 9, and at least have forced more turnovers (428) than we have turnovers for ourselves (401).

you must had forgotten which website you logged into
02-25-2013 02:37 PM
cbhstiger Offline
Phantom Mercenary

(02-25-2013 02:30 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  

THE RUNDOWN

Numbers to consider

Just curious... Why would people dislike a fair criticism?

Is there a problem with people on this message board thinking anything that isn't praise is a flame job?

Nothing wrong with it. I worry about turnovers as well. Probably shouldn't have added that in parenthesis. It's fair, it's true, and I just thought it was interesting since no one in the media has really mentioned it. You usually hear the same, tired, cusa sucks, we don't have any quality wins, etc. This is a legitimate concern though, but I think we will be fine.
02-25-2013 02:37 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
Just win baby
02-25-2013 02:39 PM
Hoopla Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
The Tigers are clearly the class of Conference USA. But their turnover issues could be their downfall once March Madness begins. They've committed turnovers on 21.3 percent of their possession, 240th in the country. Remember that when you pick Memphis to make a run in the Big Dance.

In some games, turnovers are an issue. In other games, not so much. It balances out usually.

Out of 300-some-odd D1 schools, we are 240th? I'll take that.
02-25-2013 02:41 PM
ballen Offline
All American

Season averages can be misleading as they don't reflect improvement, but the statement was fair and accurate.
02-25-2013 02:56 PM
Advertisement

JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

DonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
Turnovers (especially unforced turnovers) are a problem.

It can easily be argued that turnovers cost the Tigers the three games they lost this season:

vs. VCU: 22 turnovers

vs. Minnesota: 16 turnovers

Louisville: 24 turnovers
02-25-2013 03:05 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Pointing out our turnover rate is fine. Implying that one stat will keep us from making a deep tourney run is dumb.
02-25-2013 03:06 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

DonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(02-25-2013 02:56 PM)ballen Wrote:  Season averages can be misleading as they don't reflect improvement, but the statement was fair and accurate.

We had 19 just two games ago against Houston. Many of those were unforced (throwing them out of bounds under no pressure). This team, when focused, takes pretty good care of the ball. I hope they will be focused and playing at a high level in the Dance.
02-25-2013 03:07 PM
cbhstiger Offline
Phantom Mercenary

(02-25-2013 03:06 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Pointing out our turnover rate is fine. Implying that one stat will keep us from making a deep tourney run is dumb.

This is pretty much what I was getting at.
02-25-2013 03:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.