Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN vs Fox TV Coverage
Bookmark and Share
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
ESPN vs Fox TV Coverage
One of the things I'm interested in seeing is what kind of coverage Fox Sports will be able to provide to CUSA once they finish the FoxSports-1 and FoxSports-2 projects. With the changes being made, they are expected to compete directly with ESPN.

I think this new TV deal with the Big East might disappoint a lot of the schools. I bet ESPN ends up showcasing the Big Least on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. They can have that sh*t. I don't care if they do make a couple extra grand a year. I like the idea of playing our games on Saturday. An occasional Friday I can live with but the Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday stuff is garbage. Have fun with that. Nothing like showcasing a Tulane VS ECU game on a Tuesday night.....or a Temple VS. SMU on a Wednesday night. Cant wait to see what kind of crowds turn out for those mid-week games.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 11:09 PM by MUHERD76.)
02-23-2013 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

RE: ESPN vs Fox TV Coverage
A little surprised nobody is commenting on this. My feelings are that I am willing to wait out Fox Sports 1 and 2 for a couple years to see how that goes vs having anything to do with ESPN in the future. Any of my CUSA brothers feel the same way?
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 09:07 AM by MUHERD76.)
02-24-2013 08:44 AM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
I dont think anyone knows the answer as to what FS1 will do with their coverage. They have a lot of college inventory right now with the Big 12 and Pac 12 not to mention MLB, NASCAR, UFC, Champions League, etc. I would love to see FoX Sports 1 grow into a legit competitor for ESPN. That helps everyone involved.
02-24-2013 08:51 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2013 08:51 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I dont think anyone knows the answer as to what FS1 will do with their coverage. They have a lot of college inventory right now with the Big 12 and Pac 12 not to mention MLB, NASCAR, UFC, Champions League, etc. I would love to see FoX Sports 1 grow into a legit competitor for ESPN. That helps everyone involved.

I totally agree. I think the concept of TV exposure will be changing dramatically in the next 3-10 years. I think Mobile TV will be one of the fastest growing industries that will shape the way we all watch TV.
02-24-2013 09:12 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(02-23-2013 11:08 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  One of the things I'm interested in seeing is what kind of coverage Fox Sports will be able to provide to CUSA once they finish the FoxSports-1 and FoxSports-2 projects. With the changes being made, they are expected to compete directly with ESPN.

I think this new TV deal with the Big East might disappoint a lot of the schools. I bet ESPN ends up showcasing the Big Least on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. They can have that sh*t. I don't care if they do make a couple extra grand a year. I like the idea of playing our games on Saturday. An occasional Friday I can live with but the Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday stuff is garbage. Have fun with that. Nothing like showcasing a Tulane VS ECU game on a Tuesday night.....or a Temple VS. SMU on a Wednesday night. Cant wait to see what kind of crowds turn out for those mid-week games.

Also... I believe the new line-up in C-USA can put up better attendance numbers on most weekends. Our games on the FOX channels and CBS Sports should have good crowds, and draw strong regional interest and media coverage.

I think the new BE might see more weekend ESPN3 games then they wanted.
02-24-2013 09:53 AM
aTxTIGER Online

Donators
(02-24-2013 09:53 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 11:08 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  One of the things I'm interested in seeing is what kind of coverage Fox Sports will be able to provide to CUSA once they finish the FoxSports-1 and FoxSports-2 projects. With the changes being made, they are expected to compete directly with ESPN.

Also... I believe the new line-up in C-USA can put up better attendance numbers on most weekends. Our games on the FOX channels and CBS Sports should have good crowds, and draw strong regional interest and media coverage.

I think the new BE might see more weekend ESPN3 games then they wanted.

Just an FYI, you are going to hate the Texas Rangers by the end of September.
02-24-2013 09:59 AM
Advertisement

NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

I'm a North Texas alumn living in Virginia. ESPN3 broadcasted many UNT games and provided a great game. I do have Direct TV and there's a college football package I could buy or they do offer games on a pay-per-game basis. I'll just have to see how it turns out. My fear is that I could wind up with fewer games on tv/online than when we were in the Sun Belt.
02-24-2013 10:12 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2013 10:12 AM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  I'm a North Texas alumn living in Virginia. ESPN3 broadcasted many UNT games and provided a great game. I do have Direct TV and there's a college football package I could buy or they do offer games on a pay-per-game basis. I'll just have to see how it turns out. My fear is that I could wind up with fewer games on tv/online than when we were in the Sun Belt.

I'm sure not every game will get televized, but Mean Green Premium should broadcast some games online. Others should be on one of the Fox channels.
02-24-2013 10:17 AM
aTxTIGER Online

Donators
(02-24-2013 10:17 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 10:12 AM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  I'm a North Texas alumn living in Virginia. ESPN3 broadcasted many UNT games and provided a great game. I do have Direct TV and there's a college football package I could buy or they do offer games on a pay-per-game basis. I'll just have to see how it turns out. My fear is that I could wind up with fewer games on tv/online than when we were in the Sun Belt.

I'm sure not every game will get televized, but Mean Green Premium should broadcast some games online. Others should be on one of the Fox channels.

As a CUSA fan that lived in Texas for years, let me tell you that you are going to be sick and tired of the Rangers pre-empting your football games.
02-24-2013 10:18 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2013 10:18 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

As a CUSA fan that lived in Texas for years, let me tell you that you are going to be sick and tired of the Rangers pre-empting your football games.

Thanks for the heads up. I got the sports package. Most games are on several FOX channels at the same time. Wouldn't I be able to watch it on one of the others?
02-24-2013 10:21 AM
aTxTIGER Online

Donators
(02-24-2013 10:21 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 10:18 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Thanks for the heads up. I got the sports package. Most games are on several FOX channels at the same time. Wouldn't I be able to watch it on one of the others?

sometimes. sometimes not. and sometimes they will also sell it to time warner texas.

It really is hit and miss when baseball season is still going on. Even for games with teams in the Metroplex(SMU and now UNT) it is like this.
02-24-2013 10:23 AM
Advertisement

Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
College football should be played on Saturday. As much as I disagree with Banowsky's running of CUSA (I think he's been too weak on trying to keep schools & too quick to backfill), I have to give him credit for keeping most CUSA football games on Saturday.

Tulsa had one Thursday night game & the rest were Saturday games & we still had 13 of our 14 games televised. Again, BB deserves credit for this.
02-24-2013 10:31 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2013 10:31 AM)Tulsafanzz Wrote:  College football should be played on Saturday. As much as I disagree with Banowsky's running of CUSA (I think he's been too weak on trying to keep schools & too quick to backfill), I have to give him credit for keeping most CUSA football games on Saturday.

Tulsa had one Thursday night game & the rest were Saturday games & we still had 13 of our 14 games televised. Again, BB deserves credit for this.

I agree with those statements. And by the looks of it, Banowsky is looking smarter and smarter by the minute. Especially if/when Fox launchers their new FS1 and FS2 and has some CUSA games for weekend viewing nationwide. If there is anyone who has the money, resources and market leverage already in place to compete with ESPN, its most definitely Fox. And the fact that we replaced and extended our viewership by 43% is impressive as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 10:38 AM by MUHERD76.)
02-24-2013 10:37 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(02-24-2013 10:37 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 10:31 AM)Tulsafanzz Wrote:  College football should be played on Saturday. As much as I disagree with Banowsky's running of CUSA (I think he's been too weak on trying to keep schools & too quick to backfill), I have to give him credit for keeping most CUSA football games on Saturday.

I agree with those statements. And by the looks of it, Banowsky is looking smarter and smarter by the minute. Especially if/when Fox launchers their new FS1 and FS2 and has some CUSA games for weekend viewing nationwide. If there is anyone who has the money, resources and market leverage already in place to compete with ESPN, its most definitely Fox. And the fact that we replaced and extended our viewership by 43% is impressive as well.

Really? Did what just happened to the Big East not prove that garbage markets theory was wrong? Markets only matter if people care about the teams in those markets. ECU fans like me who screamed about that being stupid for years have been proven right, but sadly at our own expense. Markets don't matter, brands matter.
02-24-2013 11:07 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2013 11:07 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Really? Did what just happened to the Big East not prove that garbage markets theory was wrong? Markets only matter if people care about the teams in those markets. ECU fans like me who screamed about that being stupid for years have been proven right, but sadly at our own expense. Markets don't matter, brands matter.

I can't speak about how the markets work for ECU, but I think C-USA West improved its market strength. Losing Houston sucks, but Rice still keeps some of the Houston market. Adding UTSA bring a 30,000 student university from the San Antonio market to the conference, with no other FBS team, and the Spurs being the only professional team in the city. There are many UTEP fans in every large market in Texas. UNT does more then keep the Dallas/Fort Worth market. North Texas has 35,000 students, compared to SMU's 12,000. These large Texas markets all have large numbers of alumni from the C-USA Texas programs. Tulsa and LA Tech are both good programs that fans will show up to see at Rice, UNT, UTSA, and UTEP. I think the attendance and T.V. numbers for C-USA West games will be higher then most people expect. I'd like to hear some opinions about C-USA East.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 02:43 PM by Side Show Joe.)
02-24-2013 02:43 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
I quit watching espn once the NFL and MLB networks launched. espn is the evil force behind much if this realignment perversion - they are certainly pulling the nBE's strings.

Espn can suck it.
02-24-2013 02:56 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(02-24-2013 02:43 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

I can't speak about how the markets work for ECU, but I think C-USA West improved its market strength. Losing Houston sucks, but Rice still keeps some of the Houston market. Adding UTSA bring a 30,000 student university from the San Antonio market to the conference, with no other FBS team, and the Spurs being the only professional team in the city. There are many UTEP fans in every large market in Texas. UNT does more then keep the Dallas/Fort Worth market. North Texas has 35,000 students, compared to SMU's 12,000. These large Texas markets all have large numbers of alumni from the C-USA Texas programs. Tulsa and LA Tech are both good programs that fans will show up to see at Rice, UNT, UTSA, and UTEP. I think the attendance and T.V. numbers for C-USA West games will be higher then most people expect. I'd like to hear some opinions about C-USA East.

And a lot of the teams the Big East added could make the exact same types of arguments, and networks just told the league we don't care. Markets only matter if you can consistently prove people care in those markets, not just occasionally care if you are great. UCF is the largest university in the country, USF is up there, Houston, Memphis, and Temple have huge enrollment, and SMU and Tulane have market and some old tradition (even if in the distant past) and the networks told the league none of that is valuable in any way to a TV deal.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 03:15 PM by b0ndsj0ns.)
02-24-2013 03:14 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2013 03:14 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

And a lot of the teams the Big East added could make the exact same types of arguments, and networks just told the league we don't care. Markets only matter if you can consistently prove people care in those markets, not just occasionally care if you are great. UCF is the largest university in the country, USF is up there, Houston, Memphis, and Temple have huge enrollment, and SMU and Tulane have market and some old tradition (even if in the distant past) and the networks told the league none of that is valuable in any way to a TV deal.

Many of these Big East teams are just too far apart to draw real rivalries for the fans, and maybe the networks knew that. C-USA will get a chance to put up strong numbers before our media deal is up, because so many of our programs are large and close to each other. The nBE was put in the bad position of having to manage expansion while trying to negotiate a new media deal.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 03:40 PM by Side Show Joe.)
02-24-2013 03:36 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
As an Old Dominion fan I am new to talk about national network coverage so I'm trying to fill in the gaps when reading these threads. Can someone tell me where Fox 1 and 2 are coming from? Are they channels alreadt in existence that are owned by Fox and will simply change names? Does CUSA share television rights with Fox and CBS?
02-24-2013 03:43 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(02-24-2013 03:14 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

I keep hearing that the nBE contract is a sign that the networks don't care about "large" market teams. When ESPN offered $130m a year, the BE had large market schools including Rutgers (I had to get a swipe in on Rutgers 05-stirthepot).

I think the contract was reflective of the instability of the league. Teams openly stating they want out, teams wanting to get out immediately, teams that signed up going elsewhere, teams that didn't get things their way giving the conference the finger and going backk to their old conference. It was dissatisfaction all round. Each time a team leaves and another was voted in, there were reports of rumbling within the C7. And finally the C7 pushed once too many times, backed-up their talk by walking out.

Unless you are producing the college football version of Jersey Shores, how much would you pay for all that?
02-24-2013 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.